Breastfeeding Bruising Symptom & Vitamin - Bruising easily a symptom of breastfeeding?

I am still nursing my 8 month old daughter and my legs are covered in bruises and now my arms are starting to bruise easily. I was never like this before and just started noticing it a few months ago (it could have been longer, but with summer and wearing shorts, it's more noticeable).

I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if there's something I can do, like taking certain supplements? I am still on prenatal vitamins. My first thought is iron deficiency??

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have the exact same problem. I've been breastfeeding my daughter for 9 months and for the past 3-4 months my legs have been VERY bruised! I just had a complete blood work-up done and everything came back normal. I'm going to try the Vitamin K suggestion.

It sounds like anemia (iron deficiency)or vitamin K deficiency. Both can be confirmed in a quick blood test. Both can be treated easily.

@Alison S.
Wow I have the same problem and I have been researching and asking doctors and friends the same question. I nursed my son for fifteen months and had bruising and now I am nursing my eleven month old daughter, I had the same problem for both. I was wondering if it could be my iud, but i had it with my pregnancy too. So did you ever figure out what it was? Sometimes even doctors are not so helpful at figuring things out.
Thanks, S. D

...Hi the next time you visit your doctor be sure they check you for Anemia; low blood iron. Breast feeding and pregnancy take alot from Moms .Bruising easily is a sign of Anemia,along with fatigue. Id keep taking prenatal Vit. if u have some still. Anemia can cause other health problems down the road if untreated.. Good luck

You should call your Dr. and be seen for this. It may be an iron issue or something more serious. No need to speculate right now and worry yourself. If you google it, you'll find many things it "could" be, so you are better off seeing your Dr. I wouldn't put it off.

I breastfed both of my kids and didn't have any bruising so I don't think it is related unless maybe baby is depleting you of something your body needs. Most likely you are anemic. But again, I'd call your Dr. to be sure.

Best wishes,

Bruising is sign of Vitamin K deficiency. You have probably given it all to your daughter as your body will always defer to the baby at your expense. Look for a NATURAL version at any health food store. Rainbow Light brand prenatal would be a good one to switch to.
Also look for Traumeel cream. It will speed up the healing of the existing bruises.

A.-
It is normal. Keep taking your vitamins and maybe some iron.
I also had that problem, I breastfed for a year and 1/2.
Of course you should also speak to a doctor.

I agree that it is probably an iron definency. I would take Iron pills

Rarely is bruising a symptom of breastfeeding. If you have other symptoms like fatigue and bleeding in other areas (like nose or gum bleeding) definitely see your doctor as soon as possible. A blood test with complete blood count (CBC) can identify if you're low in hemoglobin or platelets (clotting factors in the blood). A protime (PT) or PTT can also evaluate if you have prolonged bleeding time due to vitamin k deficiency. In any case, your MD will have to examine you and evaluate these lab tests. Good job in beastfeeding! I hope this helps.

1 / 3