Is Baby Bjorn Bad??

I just read in someone else's post that she was looking for a new carrier because she heard the Baby Bjorn was bad for the baby's spine. I carry my 4 1/2-month old daughter in a Baby Bjorn several times a week on our morning walk, so hearing it might be bad worried me. Does anyone have more information about this?

Thanks!!

There have been some suggestions that the position that the Bjorn seats baby in can be bad for the development of their hips and spine, but nothing has been proven and as others have said- it should be fine in moderation. I chose to use other (wider bottomed) carriers for my child's comfort- I certainly wouldn't be comfortable being supported by my crotch, so I don't know why I would expect them to be.

Just my $.02

I used a Baby Bjorn for both of my kids. With my daughter I was able to use it up until she was 8 months, my son 5 months (he was much bigger). Both of my children have perfect hips and spines. They both walked at a young age without any problems... I am not saying that I do not believe that the Bjorns couldn't cause problems, but I'm just saying that both of my kids are fine, and if I ever had a third I'd use it again.

I have used the Bjorn with all three of my kids. The all loved it and no one has any spine/hip issues. But I only used it when I needed to, like when we went out, and when they were BABIES. I am not a baby wearer and certainly not a toddler wearer, and do not keep my babies attached to me all day for years. If that is the case, of course any baby would have developmental problems simply because babies are supposed to be down on the ground, moving, crawling walking, etc. If you are more likely to use a carrier 24/7, you should think about getting one with more support for you and your baby.
In short, Bjorns are fine when used properly, and they do not cause you to loose mobility with your arms like a lot of slings do. Plus, they distribute the weight of the baby evenly on the parent's back instead of pulling on one side or the other. They only hold up to 25 pounds safely, so they are designed for babies, not tots.

HI. Everyone is correct. There have been studies that show bjorns are not good for babies spines and hip joints. I would highly recomend getting a sasha wrap. I have used it with both of my kids and its been a life saver. I can use it by my self with no help and its really comfortable. Plus its really versutile and can be used through the toddler years. If your interested in one check out my website.
gigglemybaby.com We are in the process of updated so you can not purchase off the site. But you can see all the details and colors. Email me if you have more questions or would like to purchase one. ____@____.com

W., I have never been able to afford a baby bjorn so I have always used sling style carriers or with my third I used wraps and a mei tai that I had made myself.

I read about hte spine and hipd developement issues with my second and decided that I could do without the bjorn. I once used a friends and i didn't like it near as much as my Moby wrap or her Ella Roo wrap. I absolutely adore my mei tai. I am still carrying my 19 month old arround comfortable while at five months pregnant with number four.

I highly recommend Ergo because of all of the research that i have done and the testamonials I have heard from parents that have had chiropratic problems who love it.

I have heard that it is bad for a baby's hips, but I could see the potential issue with the spine. The issue is that the carrier suspended the baby by its crotch. The baby is too little to sit up on its own and support its own weight.

I had a carrier similar to the Babybjorn and wasn't really concerned. I switched to a different carrier solely because my daughter didn't like the other carrier.

I think like exersaucers or anything else, the issue is moderation. If the baby were to spend all of its time in the carrier, it likely wouldn't be good for it.

Well just speaking from what the physical therapists have told me, it's not great for them. I don't think it causes damage, but may inhibit development if they already have a problem. If there is no developmental problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

(I just read Erin's response, she's dead on.)

W. - I agree with Erin's comments about moderation and why its considered bad. If you are considering other options, I found that baby slings are the best. They are easy to use, comfortable for the baby, and some can even be used when they are toddlers to support them when you are carrying them on your hips. I bought one from Peanut Shell and loved. It was especially useful when we were traveling without a stroller.

Hi, W..

Bjorns are not great for babies, because babies' spines are not developed, and the vertical position just squooshes them. Obviously, there's a more technical term for it, but I don't remember it.

Slings are great for babies and toddlers. I wore my baby for 3.5 years in it. Not all the time, but I'd bring it with me to the zoo or on trolley rides into Philly, and I'd stick him in it for a few minutes when he was just exhausted. It's a lovely way to stay close to your baby without crunching their spines out of whack.

My favorite sites are KangarooKorner, Mama's Milk, Attached to Baby. There are a LOT of sling-type options (mei tie, didymos....). I have four different ones, and I've always found my ring sling and hotsling to be my go-to ones.

1 / 3