Is an Eggplant Supposed to Have a Spongy Consistency?

I haven't cooked with one in probably ten years, so I can't remember what the consistency of the "meat" is supposed to be like. I bought it two days ago and when I cut into it, it was very spongy. It seems off to me, but thought I would ask before I throw it away. I also bought Baby Bella mushrooms and when I opened the package, they smelled fishy. I know that can't be right. Uggghhh! I guess I had a bad produce day at Target.

Thanks everyone! I didn't want to take a chance without asking first.

Riley, thanks for the tip about the salt. I'll try that next time when I have more time to work with.

Yep. Spongy. Then after you slice you coat with kosher or sea or rock salt, press under paper towels like set a dish or pot on them for 10 minutes, or let sit for a good 2-3 hours without weight (the salt and pressure remove the majority of the moisture, so they don't get all soggy & it help removes the bitter taste. The salt will do it on it's own, but it takes awhile).

Buh-bye rotting mushrooms!

Eggplant does have a dense and spongy center. When you cook it down, it gives out a lot of water and gets really soft. Mushrooms always stink to me when I first open them, especially baby bella's . I wipe them down really well before I cook them.

The eggplant is supposed to have that "spongy" feel to it. We cook with eggplant all the time! Love it! As for the mushrooms, definately not supposed to smell fishy! I would take them back...

Spongy is what you are going for. Mushrooms have always smelled like mushrooms.

The mushrooms should NOT smell fishy - they should have a musty smell - like dirt - that's the way they smell to me.

Eggplant is dense and spongy. When you cook it - like Parmesan style - it will get a very moist, spongy center.

Does that help?

It sounds fine to me.
I usually peel it, dice it into bite sized cubes, spread it out in a pan, spray or drizzle it with olive oil, lightly sprinkle it with salt, garlic powder, a little fresh ground pepper, then eat it raw.
My son and husband actually prefers it this way.

1 / 3