Is 99 - 100.6 a Fever?

My 5 yr. old daughter has been sick since Sunday with a very low fever. It keeps vaccilating between 99 and 100.6. During the day she seems to feel good enough to go to school (she has no trouble playing) but she says her tummy hurts a little and she has a sore throat and a runny nose. My sister-in-law, a preschool teacher, said her school doesn't consider it a fever if it's under 100.5. I don't want to get other kids sick, and I actually enjoy having her at home, so I'm not in hurry to send her back to school, but I don't want to keep her out of school when it's not necessary either. I also don't want to make her get sicker by sending her back too early. But... 99/100 seems so low. What would you do?

BTW I took her to the doctor on Monday (because she had just gotten over a 5 week cough a few days prior) and he said she could go back to school on Tues. if she had no fever Monday night. I think he was very confident that she would be all better by Monday night. But, she still has 100 every night.

Hmmm... Thank you for all your advice. I agree with what most of you said, but...

The doctor called back and gave me this advice "Stop taking her temperature and send her back to school." He said children often come in for well visits and aren't sick but have a low fever like that and if she seems to feel ok (except for the minor cold symptoms) to send her to school.

I consider 99/100 a fever. Agreed it's low grade, but a fever nonetheless. I keep my kids home even with a low grade fever. She's still fighting off a bug of some sort. If she isn't fever free by tomorrow, call her Dr. back. Hope she feels better soon!!

IMO regardless of how high the fever is, I would keep her home, as she sounds sick. She could use the rest.

Has she had a strep test, Mom? Sometimes strep hits the stomach instead of a terrible sore throat and high fever. This has happened to my own kids. One of them had a sore throat (like your child) and I asked my ped for a strep test. She didn't really want to give him one because she said his throat didn't look like a "strep throat" and he didn't even have a fever. But she did it to placate me.

She walked out into the waiting room and apologized to me in front of all the people out there - she said to her shock he DID have strep. So I would take your child back to the doctor and have this checked. If he tested her but the strep wasn't strong enough to show up, I'd have him check again.

I am SO careful with strep because my sister got scarlet fever because her strep was misdiagnosed as a virus. What she went through with scarlet fever was scary. You should ALWAYS get strep treated, which means you need to know if strep is present.

As far as your question of whether up to 100.6 is a fever? Absolutely. Her body is fighting something. Whatever the temp is that higher than a normal temp is a fever.

It is a low grade fever so her body if fighting something. It's not high enough to warrant keeping her home but, she' been running a fever for 3 days now so I think you should call her doctor. Since he just saw her Monday, he may be willing to call her in an antibotic or he may want to see her. From your description, my first thought is strep throat. When myself or my son had it, we would run a low temp, have a sore throat, and otherwise feel fine...I would often feel a bit achy but my son did not. My doctor would call penicillin (sp?) in for me...he said if it was strep, I would get better, if not I would either get better or I would call him (and penicillin wouldn't hurt me).

My doctor considers 100.4 to be a fever and I will not send to day care until fever free for 24 hours. If it 99 - 100.4 the body is fighting something, i may or may not give tyelonol but still send them, unless there are other issues. good luck!

Technically, a fever is a temperature of 100.4 or higher. And everyone's temp is different at different times of the day. It tends to be a little higher at night than it does during the day.

It's so low grade I'd keep sending her to school.
If it gets worse then she can stay home, and it might just as well get better and she won't have missed any days.
Our doctor won't even suggest coming in to the office till a fever was > 103.

I'd keep sending her to school. She is not going to be getting other kids sick and she is within the school's policy.

1 / 3