Is 7 Years Old Too Old for Sleeping with Stuffed Animals?

My seven year old son has a collection of stuffed animals and he feels as though he NEEDS to sleep with one evry night. He used to sleep with a bed full and then I took it down to one. He will be eight very soon. What do you guys think?

Thank you guys sooooo much for your responses. I totally agree with all of you. I guess I'm just over reacting, because I certainly don't want to rush him to grow up too fast. In fact that is the last thing that I want. He's keeping them as long as he wants. Thank you for helping me to look at things in a different perspective.

What? No. He's still so little. Who cares if he wants to sleep with a toy??? My daughter is almost 10 and still sleeps with her webkinz. Not a concern of mine. My sister in law still sleeps with hers and she's 28.

NO.

I have a 7 year old. She does that too. Its fine... I did that too as a child.
Do not make him feel weird about it.
It is childhood.
It is memories.
It is fine.
Nothing wrong with it.

all the best,
Susan

I don't think he is too old. My son is almost 8 and still has a lot of them. Some are special that he sleeps with. We have had more then a few sleepovers and every kid has always brought one as well.

I am happy to see that all of the responses are "NO", don't get rid of the stuffed animal(s). He is still so young and unfortunately, we live in a society that tries to grows up our boys too fast... and it has devastating effects on them (read Real Boys... very interesting). Anyway, look at it this way... you get rid of his stuffed animal, he feels scared, or insecure, and he will quickly learn that it is not okay to have these feelings (normal feelings), then will be ashamed every time he does, then will replace those feelings with anger or try to numb his feelings in some really unhealthy ways too. I am sure you have great intentions, however I really believe strongly that you will be doing your son a disservice if you force him through this stage. He will be pressured enough to be a "man" way to soon... he doesn't need that pressure from you.

Ummmmm. . .if he is getting a good night sleep, what's the point? I slept with a stuffed animal until my son was born. (i'm a single mom and I missed sleeping with my ex). Why do you think he needs to pass this phase? He'll grow out of it when HE wants to.

NO.

Do not make him feel weird about it.
It is childhood.
It is memories.
It is fine.
Nothing wrong with it.

all the best,
Susan

Ummmm is 30+ too old for sleeping with stuffed animals?

I slept with a stuffed animal through high school and college.
What's the problem?

Gosh no!!!! I went into surgery at the age of 20 with a stuffed animal. Why do you think he should get rid of them? I don't think it is going to do any harm to him if he continues to sleep with one; it is security for him. My bigger concen would be if you take it away...then he will loose that security and what reaction will you get then??? He could regress and start wetting the bed, coming in to sleep with you, have nightmare, be afraid of the dark....the repercussions (sp?) are endless. If he wants it, let him have it, eventually he will grow out of it.

NO, not to old at all!

1 / 3