Iridecent Stool

I have a very strange question. My four year old, who's recovering from a really bad bout of the stomach flu (almost a week ago) and is still struggling with loose stool, not diahrrea but loose. She's always struggled pooping on the potty, and is really having trouble with control now.

That's not my question, the thing is her poop is shiny! Not mucusy but like iridecent shiny! She hasn't eaten anything strangle and it doesn't look anything like glitter, but it's definately shiny. Any idea what the cause and should I be concerned?

Thanks for all the advice! Her stools weren't greasy or mucusy at all, it was just shiny, almost like they'd been dusted with gold dust. Anyways, I did put her on the BRAT diet and in two days she was back to normal. Who knew I'd be so happy to see a normal (and intensley smelly) brown poop, haha. Thanks again!!

the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) will help...most importantly bananas - as diahrrea and stomach flus deplete our system of potassium.

if you can get a sample of it - I would - like keep a clear plastic wrap over part of the toilet so you can catch some of it to take to your pediatrician - that would be a good thing...in my opinion.

I would also add some probiotics to her diet. Do not let her have fruit juices for a few days. Fruit juice will keep her stools loose. It can take two weeks to recover from the stomach bug. Sounds like mucus to me. Add more fiber to her diet, as well, so that the stools will bind together. If she is not getting better you'll want to make sure she see's the doctor to rule out food poisoning... which can lead to sever dehydration, etc. maybe just pedialyte??? but pedialyte has a lot of artificial colorings and flavorings in it. you can also boil rice with lots of water and have her drink the rice water. This is a tried and true method in many countries to relieve the effects of diarrhea.

Stomach flu's can really create havoc on our electrolytes. Loose stool WILL deplete electroytes (Potassium.) Have her eat lots of bananas and potatoes and see if things get better. Shiney could be from a "coating" of muccus, no?

If it doesn't clear up in a week or two, please follow up with the Dr. Greasy stools are one of the symptoms of CF. It is possible to have a very mild form of CF that doesn't get diagnosed until alduthood. Just keep an eye on things and make sure everything returns to how it was before the flu.
The BRAT diet is very helpful but it won't work if it is something else.

Check with your doctor, but I don't think it's good to give them sports drinks when they have diahrrea. I know you say it's more just loose stool, but the sugars in Gatorade and Powerade make diahrrea worse. I learned this after my pediatrition told me not to give my son any more Gatorade. I never knew. I don't know if it would make your daughter's stool worse or not.

I second Liz on the yogurt. The probiotics are great. If your daughter is taking any type of antibiotic, she could really use the yogurt.

Poor girl. I hope things get better for her (and you) soon. Being sick is just awful.
It sounds like it might be kind of oily, if that makes sense. Like how oil is kind of shiny/iridescent. I would probably say, take her in to the DR or give them a call, just to follow up. I don't think it means anything, but oily usually means fat in the stool and with being so sick, and probably not eating as much as normal, maybe her body is excreteing higher than normal amount of fats.
Others reccommended the BRAT diet and probiotics - both good options for helping with the loose stool.

1 / 3