Invited to a First Communion, Do We Buy a Gift?

We were invited to the first communion for my good friend's daughter. We are Jewish and have never been invited to a communion before, so I do not know what the etiquette is for gift giving. We will be on vacation so we will not be attending. Do we send a present? money? What is customary/appropriate? Your assistance is appreciated.

Thank you all for your advice. I decided to send a card with $50. I love that this is such a great place to get really great advice.

You can do either gift or money. If a gift something special. Jewelry is often given (charm, charm bracelet, necklace, earring if ears are pierced). Or you can give money or a savings bond.

The appropriate gift would be a token of the Catholic religion - a rosary, a necklace with a cross, a bible, etc. However, if you're not going I think a card would be sufficient.

Hi K., Yes this is the First Communion time of year! I am sure you can find a nice card in a local drug store and a money gift of your chioce is in order. Sorry you cannot attend as the little girl will surely look lovely in her white dress and veil. some people do get a little religious keepsake but I am sure some money will be appreciated. Grandma Mary

I'm not an expert, but I think that since you aren't actually going to be there, that a nice note letting your friend know you are thinking of her on this special day would be the best blessing you could give her. You might send a note to your friend's daughter giving her a blessing on her special day. I don't think that you should feel obligated to send a gift for something like this...most will be religious in nature...a cross necklace, Bible, etc...some give cash, but this really isn't necessary for a 1st communion... Better to show that you are thinking of their family with a personal note, and blessing them by wishing them well. Hope this is helpful.

I would suggest just like with the others, to send a card with a monetary value, or gift card. Usually jewelry is acceptable too- a nice bracelet or necklace.

Since you aren't going to be there, a gift is not necessary - unless you are very close to the family. If you choose to send a gift, something small is more than adequate. I've sent rosaries, a catholic bible, or even a book of bible stories...
YMMV
LBC

I would put cash in an envelope, maybe $25. I come from a Jewish family too, and would not be comfortable in purchasing a religious item, although typical gifts for these occasions are symbolic of the Catholic faith. I would give cash.

If I were you I would put money in a card. The amount, that depends on how close you are to your friend and your financial ability, but normally the amount starts at $20 on up. If it is family then it is can be higher. The other thing you might want to consider is a $50 savings bond, they are great and child can cash it in when she is ready to go off to college or later.

1 / 3