Introducing Food

Hi, I just took my daughter in for her 4 month check-up and the doctor informed me that I can start giving her cereal and at 5 months begin to introduce fruit. I exclusively breastfeed my baby and she is doing GREAT. She weights 17 lbs. and I'm honestly not ready to start introducing food. I was wondering if anyone else has waited to introduce cereal and fruits/veggies. In the back of my mind, I was thinking about starting food around 6 months. What are your thoughts and opinions on that?

Waiting is perfectly fine, and actually recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Babies don't need any food but breastmilk for the first year and don't eat solids for nutrition until about 10 months. The popular wisdom these days is to wait to introduce ceral until 6 months.

If her weight is fine & she is sleeping fairly good thru the night then i wouldn't worry about introducing foods til 6mos or even later if you want. I waited with all my kids. I breastfed til about 8mos. I introduced cereal around 6mos & then around 7-8mos I introduced veggies only & then later came the fruit. You can skip a lot of the jars then & go into finger food around 10mos or so. Honestly i don't think mine would have eaten the veggies if they had tasted the fruit first. My doctor recommended cereal & then veggies for that reason. Good luck :-)

I have six children and I breast fed everyone of them and loved it. I think it is the best thing to do for baby and Mom. Anyway, I think you should do what you feel is best. If your daughter is doing well and does not seem to need more food then don't worry about it. I don't feel that Dr.s know everything. I think sometimes we need to do what we know is best. If your daughter is going 3 to 4 hours between feedings, sleeping good at night (say 6 hours or more) and you are not getting worn out with the breast feeding, then I see no reason for you to 'have' to introduce food now. Not to mention the fact not all babies are ready for food at the same age. One may be hungry and need to start cereal in order to sleep at night at 3 months, yet another may do fine until they are 6 or even 9 months old.

I think as long as your little one is satisfied on breastmilk only, it should be ok. I have a four month old also, and she has been on cereal and food now for a couple of weeks. She seems to be much more satisfied with a little more in her, but I also wasn't producing enough to begin with and had to add formula just to keep her full.
You are the mommy, you know how she feels, do what you think is best!

Most doctors with up-to-date information now reccomend that solids should not be started until at least 6 months and many don't bother advising cereals at all. Especially with breastfed babies, breastmilk should be their primary source of food for at least a year, it provides everything they need.

Starting solids too soon can lead to food allergies in some children. On top of that, their little digestive system isn't ready for solid foods.

This article really goes into detail on why to delay solids until 6 months or later.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

I exclusively breast fed for the first six months as well not introducing solids. I was lucky that we weren't around a lot of people that would "push" us to feed our first baby solids too soon. Our pedicatrician also said that it was good and that we didn't need to be in a rush. He said a lot of his first time parents come in and have their parents or grandparents telling them that they should have already started. I personally think that first time parents push too hard to have their children do things quicker, not just food but everything, as a way to brag about their children to other parents. So stay your ground. If your baby is thriving and gaining weight there is no reason to start solids already. It will probably just be more of a headache anyway because generally they don't eat that much when they are learning to swallow "solids". They just push it all back out of their mouths because that's what the sucking action, that they instinctively know to do, does. Good luck with the peer pressure. ;^)

I would wait. We waited until righty at 5 and 1/2 months, but would have waited until 6.
There is no need to start now. If you child is doing fine, you are good to wait. Its even better to wait because of food allergy issues.

I successfully nursed twin sons who will be 30 years old in November! I began introducing food at 6 months. At that time I believe I was feeding them mashed bananas...sweet potatos and ground up liver; all foods which I made myself. Of course all of these were not introduced at the same time. I also would make a big pot of beef stew and grind it up and then freeze it in ice cube trays and then steam the frozen food when ready to feed it to my twins. They were wonderful eaters. I began replacing the mid-day nursing with regular food and at 10 months they were weaned very easily and went directly to a cup. At 10 months I was ecstatic that the three of us (my twins and I) had been succesful with nursing and we were ready to go on about the business of growing!

The best advice my Parents as Teachers mentor gave me is YOU are the mom, that means you do what you want when it comes to this. I was very persistant about wanting to wait till 6 months to give my twins any cereal or fruits even though the doc said to start it around 4 months. Both my twins were breastfed and did very well (they were also 2 months premature).
It just took a weight off my shoulders when she said that and honestly I think we wasted alot of "food" even at six months.

I have a 4 month old and my doctor told me she actually doesn't need anything but my breastmilk until 6 months. I tried cereal, and she's just not ready. If you're not ready, I wouldn't worry about it. If she's 17lbs, she's obviously doing just fine!

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

Food Allergies cereal fruits