Internet Providers

My husband and I are trying to streamline our expenses. I mentioned shutting off our Internet (gasp!) and it was met with a bit of stubborness. We currently have Comcast and I'm wondering if there is anything cheaper? $60 a month just seems like too much anymore when I spend most of my Internet time reading coupon and frugal living blogs. It seems like an oxymoron to spend a lot for the Internet in order to learn how to save money!

THANK SO MUCH FOR ALL THE ADVICE!! To be more specific, I am not looking for bundle prices as we have a contract with DirecTV and only use cell phones. I am talking to Comcast as I type this.....outcome to follow :-)

OUTCOME: After only about 15 minutes talking to Comcast, I had my internet UPGRADED from 12 Mbps to 16 Mbps, with a promotion price of $19.99 for 6 months. Cost afterwards, $64.95, but I don't have to sign a contract, so I can downgrade at that time if I want to. For the time being, problem solved :-)

You can get free dial-up in western washington. It's called No Charge. I think it's nocharge.com. We had it for a long time. You just use the number that's local for you. Pretty easy and free!

First of all I would not give up internet! I would call Comcast and tell them you need to do something less expensive or else they will loose you as a customer. My husband called and asked them to lower it. We are paying 35.00 for the same speed. It's crazy that people are just paying that much for it, when in reality, they can just lower your plan. Good luck! If that doesn't work, I would call Qwest or even that new Clear internet!

I pay $55 a month for DSL and my phone package (phone is $30 of that)... I have Qwest. Internet provider is MSN.

We have Verizon DSL, it costs about $15/month (we also have Verizon for phone). I agree the Comcast price is too much, that's why we switched. We also dropped our cable and use an HD antenna, we get basic channels, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, and a few others. We are saving almost $500/year by not paying for cable. Good luck with what you decide.

Call Comcast and ask for a lower price. We do this often.

If internet is so important to your husband then maybe he should just add that feature to his cell.

We switched from Comcast to Clearwire over 2 years ago and have had no problems with it. It's high speed wireless internet. We pay $35.42 a month I believe, this is total with tax. It's such a great deal and although I can't remember the Comcast service, this works for us just fine. I can surf the net and my husband can play online games through x-box at the same time with no noticeable slowing at all. I think they have a trial period, and they have kiosks at most malls, you should give it a try.

Good luck, and if you find anything else cheaper definitely let us know!!
-V.

Oh, I also wanted to add to be careful at some of the kiosks, not sure how they are in your area, but I did see something a few months ago on the news (an investigator report) that some prospective customers were offered $100 and never received it. I guess it's something the kiosk owner was doing and not the company, and from what I recall the offer was handwritten on paper. I didn't experience this because it was so long ago, (I think this began more recently) but I have seen this offer posted at one of the stands at the Alderwood mall, not the one I actually got my modem and service from though. When I signed up, I did receive an electronic visa card for $25 to use online however, so they may offer deals to new customers. If you want to, you can also call them or go online. www.clearwire.com Their service people are friendly, same with the tech people. The thing is so easy to set up, just plug in to your computer and the wall for power. Sorry for the long post here, but I did want you to be aware of what I had heard.

Check to see if Qwest is in your area. We have Qwest and I get phone with unlimited long distance, DirecTV,and Internet service for $112.00 per month. It would be cheaper for us if we had a cell phone on the plan but dont. I wish you luck!

1 / 3