Instead of "Gift Bags"

I am planning a swim party next week for my two boys (8 & 10) and hate doing gift bags! I was wondering everyone's thoughts on the gift bags vs. just saying thank you. Is it okay to just send Thank You notes to the children/families that come or do I have to do something?
Between the family and boy's friends that are coming the age range is from 1 year to 10-1/2. Thanks very much for your thoughts and opinions!

I think we are going to not do goody bags. I think keeping things simple will be the best route and with everyone trying to save money these days maybe I will start a trend...lol. Anyway, both of the boys will be sending Thank You notes to everyone thanking them for coming and spending the day with them and celebrating their birthday.
Thanks again for everyone's input!

The closest thing I ever did for gift bags was a pinata and the bag of candy they picked up was their gift bag. I hate giving junk and hate getting junk at other parties. I wish we could all agree to do away with them.

M B
oh the goodie bags that get out of control... I would let the bag idea go they are there for a good time and they are getting a treat away like cake right. I would however make sure the thank you notes are written by the kids and sent out quickly. Have fun at the party.

I hate goodie bags,too with all the junk.Once I made these GIANT ____@____.com COOKIES for each child, I'm talking GIANT.
I love Thank you notes,but only for people we couldn't see in person,I mean Thank you for your gift and coming to my party should be enough.

I also hate gift bags. Usually the stuff gets tossed anyway. I do like the idea of maybe goggles or something like that if you feel the need to do something. But at 8 and 10, etc..no gift bags

I think that is a great idea. I did gift bags one time and my husband was appalled over giving gift bags. He said, "If we have to give someone a gift to come to our sons party then we just won't have parties." So I never gave goody bags again and there was never a problem.

I think you should have something. Even if it's as small as a ballooon to eacxh child. Since it's a swim party, you could give a beach ball or goggles. They have those at the dollar tree.

If there were more people like you, I think there would be less stress and pressure for moms to give a 'bag of junk' at parties. On the other hand, I know how petty some mothers can be ("oh my gosh, susie didn't give gift bags at her party! *gasp* she's a terrible mother and awful hostess!") concerning gift bags, so if you feel like there will be severe social repercussion for your son if he doesn't give gift bags, then you might want to actually do it.

Come on, ladies, let's make it our New Year's resolution - no more wasting money on gift bags!

Hi!
If the pool allows it why not just buy things for them to play with in the pool according to their ages that they can take home? Beach balls, blow up toys for the younger kids and maybe Splash balls for the older kids? I sometimes think a bigger present for each kids is better than a bag of little stuff!

1 / 3