Insect Repellant for Sensitive Skin?

DD is 6.5 months and just started daycare. She needs bug repellant, as she is getting about one bite per day. I really want something that will definitely work. I've thought about having her wear pants, but it's really humid and I know she'll get a diaper rash from that.

Am also interested in your opinion on combination sunscreen and insect repellant. Does not need to be waterproof.

Thanks in advance!

Almost forgot to mention: She tends to have dry skin patches on the outsides of her legs and arms. So far, we're making do with mild baths and some lanolin or aquaphor.

I would recommend Avon Skin So Soft bath oil or lotion. They even have a sunscreen with it in it. It will even keep ticks off of you if you live in the South in the country like I do. If I know I will be outside when I get finished with my shower I will spray the bath oil on my skin before toweling dry & rub it in. Works like a charm! I am really sensitive to bug bites & for some reason they seem to love me & dry skin/psoriasis & dermatitis runs in my family.

I have found the only thing that really works for us is deep woods off with deet. I have talked to my Ped about this and he says to go ahead and use it. I forgot one day and my daughter had a tick on her. YUCK!!!!!! The mosquitos are so bad this year.

As mentioned before, the skin so soft insect repellent, they now have a combo that has the repellent and sunscreen (30 spf). I don't know if it's really good for a young child, but I do use it on three of my kids (two 6 yrs olds, and a 7 yr old one of which has eczema), but it does work very well, the only problem I have with it is that it's very oily. We only spray it outside while standing on the grass, because it tends to make the floor slippery.

Try Skin So Soft from Avon in original scent. You can buy it in a spray which makes it easier for application. It is a little oily, but it really works even after it dries (and her skin will feel so soft...ha!). We have always used this with my son who has very sensitive skin and is prone to eczema flare-ups. Avon also makes this SPF/Insect repellant. We have used can after can of this stuff, but I am not sure if it would be safe for kids under 1 year. You would need to ask a rep.

I like Tropical Traditions all natural products and they have a bug repellant.

AVON makes an insect repellant/sunscreen combo for children in their Skin-So-Soft product line that I use on mine and it works great. I think it's designed for sensitive skin. Hope this may be helpful to you.

Hello C., due to your daughter's sensitive skin I think natural products is the way to go. My children both have sensitve skin too. We have been shopping with an online company that has environmentally green products for over 4 years and really love them. The products that they have really work on my kids skin. They have natural insect deterent, sunscreen, and lotion that helps heal dry skin (even eczema, rosacea, and psorisis).

I have liked them so well, that I decided to do a business with them after 3 1/2 years of enjoying just being a customer.

Here is my website, you can request more information if you like.

http://www.switchingstores.com/danipen

Skin So Soft from Avon is oil based and has so many uses, ie, dry skin, great in baths, shining your faucets after cleaning, etc but one that it is most known for is a bug repellant. It is safe and makes their skin soft while repelling bugs!

Another I heard is a dryer sheet. Attach it to the belt loop, rub on skin, etc and it should repel them! Good luck!

ps/ Walmart carries a new cream called After Bite that you rub on after the bite to stop the itching..works great. They have an adult and a child version.

W. M

I know I'm a little late on replying, but just thought I'd add this: Skin So Soft is great, but I hate how oily it is, and also am not crazy about the smell. I cut mine with alcohol (1/2 alcohol, 1/2 SSS)... it still works great, the smell dissipates sooner, it's not as oily feeling, and it makes the SSS go twice as far! Good luck, and enjoy your summer!

When my older son was little we lived on the west coast and had sand fleas really bad. My doctor told me to give him vitamin B. I got liquid vitamin B at a health food store and put it in his juice. It's water soluable so any excess will be exreted in her urine. It takes a few days to build up in the system and have the desired effect, but it's the best thing I found that was safe. The thing about insect repellent at 6 months is that none of it is really safe. As far as sunscreen, find one that JUST has zinc oxide, no chemicals. There is a good one by Badger - also found at health food stores, or on their website (badgerbalm.com)

1 / 3