Information on Heart Murmurs, Holes in Heart, VSD?

I took my son in for his 2 month appointment yesterday and his pediatrician told us that he heard a heart murmur and suspected that our son has a small hole is his heart. He called this condition VSD (ventricular septal defect). He didn't seem overly concerned and advised us to make an appointment with a cardiologist at Children's Mercy South. I, of course, completely panicked and now am so frightened. It's enough reading what people say about immunizations and the risks, but to have to worry about that coupled with the fear that my little baby's heart is defective is overly taxing. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any support or helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem with my daughter when she was that young. The doctor wasn't that concern about it and I was but when we went and had x-rays done that doctor told me that she may out grow it when she gets older. So far we haven't had a problem with it. The only thing that has happened is that last March she got real sick and ended up with that RSV stuff. That was more frighting then the hole in the heart. At least to me it was.
Feel free to send me a message back if you would like.
I hope this helps you a little bit.
A.

My son has a mild to moderate VSD we found out the day after he was born because the murmur was so loud. They say the louder it is the smaller the hole. Either way I was devastated. Well he is two months old and we have gone to quite a few appt. with his cardiologist and to be honest with you I feel so much better. I believe she is at KU med center in Kansas city or overland park not sure her name is Dr.Parthaban. She is excellent. She told us that in general these VSD's close by themselves and the only thing you should worry about is if he isn't eating or his breathing. OF course when she told me about his breathing all I could do was stare at him breath and it became a source of stress if he was breathing to fast etc... It is something very scary to hear about but from what I understand a VSD is the most common condition and like I said usually they close on their own. Just become informed on what it is watch out for the symptoms, do go to a doctor so they can let you know how big it is. But be calm. Stressing out isn't going to close the VSD any faster. I have had to learn that on my own believe me. There are days where I still freak out but you just have become informed and relax.
Hope this helps and if their is anything I can help you with at least with an ear let me know because I am going through the exact same thing :)

Hi, I don't know how much help I will be, but I'll give it a shot. My name is D.. I'm 41 years old. I too was born with a hole in my heart. Because I was so small, they had to wait until I was about 6 or 7 years old to do my surgery. Until I had my surgery, I was put on strict restrictions. You know, I couldn't climb a tree or run to much. Things like that. After the surgery, I did still have a slight heart murmer. Just in the last 5 years I've had to be put on heart medication for an irregular heart beat. I have lived a very good life without anymore heart problems since my surgery all those years ago. Surgery has came a very long ways since back then. I'm sure that your son will come through with flying colors just like I have. He is sure lucky at one thing. He won't have the ugly scar I have! lol If you should want to talk more, feel free to email me back at: ____@____.com I'll be glad to help if I can.

L.;

Don't panic, relax hun. I have lived my whole life so far with a heart murmer just like your son's. Your son can live a full normal life running, jumping doing all the things kids love to do. His pediatrician didn't overly concerned for a reason, people live with heart murmers all the time. Trust him.
Good ahead and see the cardiologist at Children's Mercy South, but very honestly there is no need to panic.

My daughter also had a similar situation with her heart. She had TGA, transposition of the greater arteries as well as VSD. Has your son seen a cardiologist before or is that the appt. you will be making? Let me know and I will be will be glad to be of any assistance in providing information from our experience. My daughter has done very well with her condition.

I feel for you. I know how scary the wait is. My pediatrician heard my son's heart murmer before we had even left the hospital when he was born. We were also advised to go to the cardiologist. Now, let me say that a lot of kids are born with small holes and don't need any work done. My son, however, had a larger condition (Tetrology of Fallot) and had to have heart surgery at 4 months old. He is now 5 yrs old with no problems at all. He is running around like any other Kindergardener. Children's Hospital has a fantastic cardiologist department. Dr. Knottcraig, who preformed our surgery, is one of the leading children's cardiologists in the country. So, try to keep calm and remember that chances are, it is not a big deal. And if something does need to be done, you are in good hands and you can make it throught it. Lean on your friends and family; there are those who love you and will be with you.

Hi L. -

My nephew was born with three tiny holes in his heart. He had surgery at Children's Mercy (Downtown). It was a very difficult thing to go through, however, he is now a very happy and healthy 4yr old. He still goes to a cardiologist once every 6 months for check ups, and will always take medicine. It was amazing watching the transition in his activity level - a little hole does make a difference! Good luck to you and your son!

L.,
I hope that things turn out well for you,and I am sure it will.My son Dalton was born with 2 holes in his heart.an asd and vsd.asd is atrial septal defect..at 4 months of age he had both holes repaired and no complications.My son also had down syndrome.his surgery was november 11 of 1999.Sometimes they dont even do surgery on them they close on their own alot of times.He will have to have an echo and they will go from there.Dont get too upset,you just have to wait and see what the doctors say.
My son however wasnt so lucky,he developed pulmonary hypertension,which always leads to death,tho no one told us that we had to read it on the internet.He died April 9th of 2003.he was 3 years and 9 months old.

I have a 6 month old son with a heart murmur, and I'm told that most of they time they will "outgrow" it. If your doc says that you need to visit a cardiologist, you should, but remember that worrying just makes things harder on you and everyone around you including your baby. Relax, I know it's hard, but as I said, most of the time (according to my dr.), a murmur will fix itself, no surgery/worry required. Sometimes it hereditary and should be expected. In my husband's family, the eldest child ALWAYS has a murmur, and they get over it without surgery.

Does your family history or your husband's family history have a heart murmur problem in it? This may be useful information for the cardiologist, and should be found out before the appointment if at all possible. I wish you the best of luck! My heart goes out to you!!

1 / 3