Info Re Moving a Wooden Swingset?

We've been thinking about finding a buying a wooden swingset off of
craigslist, but i'm concerned about the logistics of actually taking
one down and moving it. Has anyone done this before? Do they come
apart or do you really have to move them in one giant piece? I'm
not sure I can find one I can afford, but if I can, I want to know
this is actually feasible.

thanks,
A.

My husband and I bought a swing set off Craig’s List last summer and we took it apart and put it back together (since you’re pregnant you’ll need to have a friend – definitely takes two people). Although since it was several years old, the wood had warped a bit so it was very difficult getting the screw holes lined up again after taking it apart. We also had to buy all new screws, bolts and nuts because the original ones had rusted – but it wasn’t hard to find new ones at the hardware store. I do recommend picking the perfect spot to put it together though because once it’s together, you cannot move it! It’s way too heavy, even for 2 grown men to move.

I don't think you have to completely dismantle it, but I don't know how you would move it without separating it into sections. In general, the bigger and heavier the pieces are, the more stress you will put on the connections by trying to move it. It could break in a key place or wind up being very wobbly when you reassemble it.

A good thing to do is to take a big piece of tape - like duct tape - and attach it in a "flat donut" to major sections - as you dismantle the slide, stick all the hardware on the sticky side of the tape in the order in which you removed them. When you are done, top that piece of tape with another piece, sticky side down. You won't lose all the nuts & bolts! Then place the slide in the truck you are using. Then separate the top connector piece and keep all those pieces of hardware together. And so on. Another option is to put the parts in ziploc bags and write on the bag what section it came from. You won't lose the pieces but they won't be in order either. It depends on how secure you can keep the items during transport. If you have a large tarp, put it on the ground while you are dismantling the set so you don't lose hardware in the grass.

You should be able to get an assembly diagram on the web unless the set is really old. Otherwise, take notes as ou do it unless you have a really experienced handyperson with you. Everything looks easy to dismantle, but then when you try to reassemble it, you have all these parts on hand...

GOod luck!

I gave our climber basic tower, swingset, slide.. to my sister a few years ago when my kids outgrew it. My brother in law came over with his truck and disassembled most of it by himself. He and a friend loaded the tower piece in the truck and away it all went. He put it all together by himself. It can be done.

Piece of cake if you have an electric or air impact wrench to remove the bolts (you'd need an air compressor if you have the air verson...we opted for electric version - can get at Home Depot or a discount tool store) . My husband and I got a wooden set, for free, from friends of my sister's. We had it down in less than 2 hours and reassembled back at our home in about 2 hours. Better to have at least 2 people working on it. Since you're due in July, I wouldn't recommend you climbing and lifting although, once in pieces, it's surprisingly light! Just remember where you put the bolts and pieces for easy reassembly...better to take down and put back up in the same day so you remember which way the pieces go! It was easier than we thought.

K. - Mom of 2.5 year old boy.

We sold one of the 2 story with the tube slide play centers and the people came and took it apart and moved it. My suggestion would be to take detailed pictures before and after taking this thing apart. Hope that helps.

Absolutely take it apart! Bring your digital camera and take ALOT of photos of every board and piece as you remove it then you can see how to put it back together when you get it home. Also don't throw the bolts in a bag/container. Put them back into the holes the came out of. That way you don't loose any or forget where they go. If you can't put 1 or 2 back where it goes... put it in a small baggie, lable it and tape or staple it near where it goes.
good luck hope this helped

The Assembly Pros LLC is a professional swingset installation and moving company. They have been installing swingsets since 2005. They are fully insured and service NJ, PA, DE, MD, NY, and CT. Check out their website at www.theassemblypros.com for any questions or to receive a free quote.

last summer, my husband took a swingset down from his aunts house and put it back up in our yard. it wasn't just your basic one either. it had a tower and a rock climbing wall also. his uncle helped him take it apart, then he put the whole thing together BY HIMSELF!!! yeah i could have screamed at him because i was so nervous, but he did it. so anyway my point it is yes, it is feasible. and with a little help, can be done very quickly.

1 / 3