Info on Asperger's Syndrome

I have a 5-yr old who is still in diapers. He is oblivious to his dirty diaper and runs away when I try to change it. He is terrified of the toilet and I was told he has "toilet phobia". Now I have to home school him be/c he can't go to kindergarten in a pull-up. Upon taking him to the counselor, we discussed that he is obsessed with the solar system and has little interest in anything else...including other children. He is sweet and affectionate with me and plays beautifully with his older brother. However he doesn't like school be/c the other children "bother" him. He is extremely intelligent. He memorizes almost everything he hears. My counselor mentioned Asperger's Syndrome be/c of his overly-focusing on one subject and lack of interest in other children. I looked it up on the internet and my son does exhibit about 3 of the symptoms. Does anyone have actual experience with this?

Thank you to everyone for all of your support, encouragement and advice. We went to the pedi today. I told him about how my son was obsessed with the solar system and seldom spoke or thought of anything else. The doctor began asking him questions about the planets and my son gave him rapid-fire correct answers while staring at the wall. The doctor promptly wrote a request for testing by a psychiatrist. We still may need a second opinion, but at least we're moving in the right direction. As for the school, once we have a legitimate diagnosis, we can petition the school to make a special ed exception for him still being in a pull-up. The other option is to put him in a smaller, private school where he will go half-days. I will also check out the books and the program at Texas Children's as some of you recommended.

Thanks again from the bottom of my heart. It is so nice to know that I am not alone in this!

Asperger syndrome is under the spectrum of the autism, it's like high functioning autism, usually this kids have problems relating with same age peers, their conversations run around just some subjects like little teachers, show sensory issues like been over or under sensitive (may impact potty training), I will recomend take him with a dev. pediatrician for a proper diagnosis and proper treatment, they usually do well, but sometimes have trouble in the teen years trying to fit in. Sometimes changing diet (eliminate casein and gluten) and giving him some supplements can help him with sensory issues
here you can find more information and support:

Hello. My name is K.. I am looking for families that have children with Autism that I can offer services to. I am an ABA Therapist and am looking to find families in the New Braunfels, Sequin, San Marcos and South Austin areas. I have been a teacher/therapist in an early intervention school in San Antonio and have received training from BCBA Therapists for over a year now. I am a certified early childhood
teacher and my focus for ABA therapy is early intervention, sensory integration, parent training and language development. I would also like to do share awareness for parents with newborns. I would like to chat with you and get to know some more people in this area who are touched by children with Autism. You can contact me at Spanky7481@...

Thank you so much for you time.

My little sister has Asperger's Syndrome. She is now 13. She was recently diagnosed, but we always knew she had it, the diagnosis was harder to get. There is a Dr. in town that specializes in AS kids and her daughter has AS as well. I can not remember her name, if it comes to me, I will get back with you, but if you contact ABC (Any Baby Can) they have a man that specializes in AS resources and gives parents information. They sent me an info packet that included the Dr.s who treat it, support groups, and lots of other info. There is also a private school in town that teaches AS kids, in fact, it was built espicially for AS and teaches grades K-12. It is TECLARC, (The Exceptional Child's Learniing and Resource Center). The number is ###-###-####, www.teclarc.org, I don't know if they will take him not being potty trained, but they can at least help you with some other resources and I think they help with home school as well. My sister just started this school and loves it, the only school she has ever wanted to go to.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Thank you so much for you time.

I don't know everything about your situation but my little boy now 7 didn't potty train until about 4. He will not go to the bathroom at school also and he can't clean himself. The school understands this and if he needs me I go to the school to help him. I can't believe the school won't take him. My son went into the PPCD program at age three and he wasn't pooty trained. He also loved only dinosaurs. He was speech delay.Now I believe he is doing much better. Was your other son like this. Try to get him to help his brother. I have never heard of Aspergers' sorry. I hope this helps you a little. I also believe that children will let you know when they are ready for potty training. I never push him into it, he just went one day and everything changed.

I don't have a child with Aspergers, but I do have one with PDD-NOS. We have been run through the mill with the medical community -- just trying to learn how to navigate all this.

He has other diagnoses too along with the ASD. I do not recommend the Meyer Center. We had a horrible experience there, and unfortunately I've learned after the fact that we were not alone. Our experience has been so bad with them that our pediatrician is looking into filing a complaint/grievance with the board. The genetics clinic on the same floor as the Meyer Center does not want us dealing with that part of the clinic anymore either. :(

There is another developmental ped here in town named Dr. Williamson. I've heard good things about him. Another option is to make sure you see a neuropsych. They also do VERY thorough evaluations.

I only know all too well what Asperger's is. I have two kids on what they call the "spectrum". My son (almost 11) displays alot of what you were discribing as far as interaction with other children. My daughter freaked last fall when we put her into kinder saying those kids were "too big for her to play with". We put her back a year and now she's doing wonderful. Both kids were almost four years old when they finally potty trained. Alot of mom's have mentioned sensory issues. Again, both my kids have been with an occupational therapist since age 2. They are bright, funny, sweet kids at home, but else where seems to clam up into themselves.

The biggest change came just this summer when I bought a book called Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developemental Disorder A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery by Karen Seroussi (my daughter has/and is recovering from PDD) In it, as mentioned by one of the other mom's, she eliminated gluten and casein from her son's diet with phenominal results! My daughter has the same Kinder teacher and says she's a completely different kid, and had she not had Katie in her class last year she wouldn't know she was any different from the kids coming in this year. (keep in mind Katie has had speech and O.T. since she was 2) nothing made as much differnce as pulling her off the wheat and dairy!

One I'm going through now is Children with Starving Brains: A Medical Treatment Guide for Autism Spectrum Disorder by Jaquelyn McCandless, MD. She explains that certain kids have been affected by heavy metals in vaccinations and toxins in our environment. (and what to do about it)

I know it's frightening at first, but know that there is SO much that can be done to help your son. I really think my husband has a touch. He's wonderfully "quirky" and I wouldn't ever trade him for a "normal" man! Feel free to write me with any questions you have. I'm kinda like you, on a quest for my family! Good luck!

All good info so far.

Get the book the out of sync child, amazon.com has it. Whether you get the diagnosis of autism, aspergers or something on the spectru, the issues outlined in that book have a huge impact.

Get an exceptional Occupational Therapist. Get a tire swing and hang it in the yard, or from the ceiling in your home if you have to. this is one of the best things you have have for your child - the movement helps ground them, and develop cross brain communication.

Also, check into a speech therapist. Often children with Aspergers have ot and speech issues - this can range from how they process and retreive information, to how they catagorize and express it versus retrieve it. There is a whole science to how our children work language, but don't give up. Get them all to evaluate your child, and check with United Way - tell them you want a case manager and don't let anyone blow you off or delay you. If you have problems in Port A, call Any Baby Can in San Antonio, and ask them if they have anyone in your area they could refer you to. Good luck.

I really don't have any experience with this, but here is what i pulled up off wikipedia.com:
"Asperger syndrome also referred to as Asperger's syndrome, Asperger's, or just AS is one of five neurobiological pervasive developmental disorders (PDD) that is characterized by deficiencies in social and communication skills. It is differentiated from other PDD's in that a person with AS also has normal to above normal intelligence,[1][2] and standard language development compared with classical autism. The diagnosis of AS is complicated by the lack of a standard diagnostic screen, and the use of several different screening instruments and sets of diagnostic criteria. The exact cause of AS is unknown and the prevalence is not firmly established, due partly to the use of differing sets of diagnostic criteria.

Asperger syndrome was named in honor of Hans Asperger, an Austrian psychiatrist and pediatrician, by researcher Lorna Wing, who first used the eponym in a 1981 paper.[3] In 1994, AS was recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as Asperger's Disorder.[4]

AS is typically diagnosed in childhood, but many may not be diagnosed until much later, as adults. Assistance for core symptoms of AS consists of therapies that address poor communication skills, obsessive or repetitive routines, and physical clumsiness. Most individuals with AS can learn to cope with their differences, but may continue to need support to maintain an independent life.[5]"

I would talk with a ped, then get a second opinion. perhaps with one that specializes in disorders such as this.

good luck!

1 / 3