Info on Animals and Child

i have 2 dogs and a cat everyone keeps saying im going to have to watch my animals when the baby is born both of my dogs are really good with kids and anyone at that matter but also my cat i dont know to much about them and children he is my first cat do i need to watch out with him at all? or my dogs?

I had 3 cats when my son was born, and I didn't have any trouble. My concern was that cats sleeping in the crib. I knew they wouldn't deliberately smother him, but one of my cats is fat and clumsy (sad, but true). I could see her jumping in the crib and accidentally hitting my Alex. So, I bought a cat cover for the crib. It worked great! It's just a domed netting over the crib. The cats stayed out of the crib, and I could keep the doors open in case Alex cried at night. (Besides, it kept him in the crib as he got older. I never had to worry about him climbing out of the crib!) Something to think about.

We have 2 cats and our daughter is now 7 1/2 months old and we have not had any problem with them at all. The only thing is the younger cat used to jump in her crib without the baby in it or in the pack n play. Now that she is used to those items, the cats don't care. When the baby fusses or cries the older cat actually comes to get me and the younger one will sit next to the monitor. I really wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye out, make sure you pay attention to the animals as well, so the jealously factor doesn't happen and it should be okay.

you always need to watch any animal with a baby, regardless of how well behaved your animals are. we have a dog and a cat. to prepare them, we did the baby's room very early and made all physical changes we needed to make as early as we could. we made a CD of babies crying and played that occasionally.

personally, we had no problems with our animals. we kept our daughters door shut when she was sleeping so we had no problems with the cat trying to get into the bed. we have a big lab, and that was our large concern that he might step on her or something. research the breeds you have and talk to your vet. they will give you lots of good ideas as well.

you do need to watch the animals around the baby, but not in a crazy way like some people think. just like you will have to watch the baby with anything they do, especially when they start moving, its the same thing.

good luck!

You never know how pets are going to react when the baby comes home to Their house. Be on the safe side and just keep your eyes open. Watch for changes in behavior, but don't stress yourself out about it.

When my baby was born, my dog and 2 cats were nosey at first, the cats we would find laying in the crib at times. We would throw them out of the crib and tell them no. Finally about a month ago we started leaving our bedroom door open and neither of the cats get in his crib or bother him anymore. he is 6 months old. they will be real curious at first, just keep an eye on them. they will get used to him and wont bother him. Now my dog comes up and sniffs him and he just squeals at her and tries to reach for her. Its just all new to them..

Don't let anyone tell you that you have to get rid of your first family to have a baby. We have 3 dogs, 6 cats, 2 little boys. The animals just loved the wee ones. People used to say, "OH, you will HAVE to at least get the cats declawed or they will hurt the baby." We always said, "NO, the baby will have to learn to be gentle." Not to worry, the cats are fine and so are the kids.

I honestly think your attitudes and behaviors are reflected in your animals and later in your kids. If you are kind and gentle with the dogs and cats, they will be gentle with your babies.

And always remember Nana, the St. Bernard babysitter in Peter Pan, right?

All will be well, and I wish you all the best,

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. At first they all basically ignored her existence but there are still a few things I would recommend. Always keep a pack n play or bassinet around so you never have to put her on the floor...even if you are nearby your baby, mine still got scratched accidentally as a little baby by affection pawing. And as far as the cat is concerned, the only issue we had to deal with was marking the baby's car seat and pack n play, etc with his urine! He is neutered and declawed, but still has his territory issues. If your cat is relatively new I would guess that wouldn't be much of a problem. And if you want to keep the cat out of the crib and other baby items, tin foil scares the bejesus out of em. Just lay it over the entire surface you want them to stay away from.
I am so glad to be raising my daughter around animals though. She is so much more aware (ALREADY, at 10 months) how to behave around pets then most of her little playmates. Though I felt like strangling my dogs a few times (you know, barking during nap time and such) I wouldn't change a thing! Don't stress out about it, but don't pretend animals deserve an unwarranted human trust.

i had to get rid of my 3 cats because they would not leave my daughter alone i also have a 110 lbs dog who is aggressive towards strangers and other dogs but when zara my daughter was born he took to her very qickly but of corse you can never leave you child or your pets alone together because you never know what might happen.. well good luck i hope everything goes well

I have 2 dogs a cat and 2 birds. All animals were fine w/my kids when they were babies and now. My husband always does say to have your spouse bring home a baby blanket the baby was wrapped in and let the dogs smell it, but don't let them play w/it. This way they get use to what toys and such are the babies and what are theirs. My cat never even bothers w/the baby. She actually runs away when she sees her. Unless you have dogs that aren't naturally good w/children, I don't think you have anything to worry about!

1 / 3