Info About "Nursing Blisters" on Infant's Lips

Hello:)
My 6 week old baby girl developed dark areas/patches on the insides of her upper lip and on the inner sides of her bottom lip. A friend said they looked like "blood blisters due to nursing". Any other moms out there with this issue? How have you dealt with it? I would appreciate any insight and help you can come up with.

Hi Ladies,
Just a quick update for those of you who responded to my request. Mary Ann - I'm careful about the way I hold her while nursing her now...and it seems to have helped some. We went to the doc today - he thinks the dark patches on her lips are caused by the fungus that causes cradle cap (she has cradle cap). He told us to use Selcin (sp?) on her scalp two times a week. I'm cautious about this..will wait and see how it progresses before using Selcin. Anyway..thank you so much for your timely comments and encouragements to all the doc.

First, thrush is usually a white spot or spots. Since your baby is so young, you may be dealing with an improper latch that is causing bruising to the baby's lips. Do you hear sucking sounds at where she is latched on? You shouldn't. After your milk lets down does her suck change and can you see that she is taking long draws instead of the shorter ones? You can usually see that at her jaw.

Just in case you did not know, here are some sings of a proper latch.

With baby held to you stomach to stomach, her nose should be pressed, not hard, against your breast, (don't worry, they flare their nostrils, just don't cover them completely)

Bottom lip should be 'flanged out' and you should see her tongue between your aereola and her bottom lip.

There should not be any squeaking, slurping or sucking noises at her mouth. If you hear like air getting through, break her latch and try again. And at this point in your nursing, it should not be hurting YOU at all. The tenderness should be gone and if it isn't, that is another sign she is not latching on right. You could always put her up there in front of your doctor to see if she is up there correctly. Hope this helped! LEt us know.

I've never heard of it but I suggest you call your doctor or a lactation nurse.

Hi! I have two sweet girls 4 and 18 months. I nursed them both and they both got 'nursing blisters'. The difference is that they were in the center of their top lip, they were white, and they would peel every so often. I took my concern to my ped. when my first daughter had them so I knew when they started with #2 what they were. Since your daughters are dark and inside her lips I would definitely call a lactation specialist or pediatrician for some advice. They may be perfectly normal or she may be latching on incorrectly and they would be able to help. Good luck!

Hi :
Congrats on the baby .. sounds like thrush perhaps. Has the baby been on any antibiotics or have you ? If you have you'll need probiotics from a local supplement store . Have the pedatritician check the baby incase it's thrush .. that's a yeat infection of the mouth and can cause breat problems if you catch it or visa versa .. Good Luck Moe

I have a 3 week old, and she also had the darker blisters on her bottom lip. She now only has the white nursing blisters that another poster mentioned. The darker blisters are (according to my ped) from incorrect latch-on and sucking their lips into their mouths while trying to nurse. I had a lot of trouble getting my daughter to latch on at first and saw a lactation specialist, I would highly recommend trying that!! You can go to La Leche online or try calling the hospital that you delivered at, they usually have someone they can suggest. Let us know how everything goes!

1 / 3