Infant with Loose Green Bowel Movement

Our 3 month old has recently started having bowel movements that are greenish in color and also far less seedy - in fact they are more watery than not. For a day his diaper changes were more in number, however that has decreased back to the normal rate. He is breastfed only, and doesn't show any signs of dehydration. In fact he is very perky and healthy. I do notice that he is constantly chewing on his fingers. Does anyone have any thoughts?

It sounds like teething to me. And if he starts to get very uncomfortable, by the symptoms of biting his fingers and green/watery stool, he may respond well to homeopathic Chamomilla.
Let me know if you have any questions :)
Liz

my daughter started doing that. I was told my my Pedia that it was teething symptoms and sometimes their poo just changes. it's just the way it goes. And trust me you would no if he was dehydrated. my daughter got dehydrated and she wouldn't eat sleep or pee for almost three days.
If the bsby is still happy and perky like normal, nothing is wrong with him. It's just their bodies adapting to growing...

Hi A.!

This used to happen to my son, I even took one of his diapers in for a doctor to look at. She was rather amused and told me it may be something in my diet (perhaps lots of green veggies or the vitamins I was taking). That did not make a lot of sense to me - nothing had changed - so I spoke with a lactation consultant and she told me that it meant the baby was getting more of the 'first milk' from my breasts and not as much of the 'hind milk'. She told me that I needed to keep him nursing longer (which for me was impossible - the little guy would fall asleep if he just saw my breasts (slight exagerations lol).

i had this as well...i read that if they do not get an equal balance of fore milk and hind milk this coul occur. so make sure you are nursing long enough on each side to balance the mixture.

green/texture changes can be from foods you eat, too (bananas, for instance, = instant green ... and in my family, apples cause gas, and citrus, raw or juice, causes INSTANT diaper rash) ... the other time I saw sudden greening was occasionally just after a vaccination (pathology unknown; I'm just sayin', it happened).

try having your son tested for milk allergies. My son has similar diaper issues and that was it. Thank goodness he grew out of it though. Good Luck!

I have the exact same thing going on with my 4 month old. He also did this around 6-8 weeks (minus the hand-chewing). I believe it is associated with a growth spurt--his body is changing, and my milk is catching up to his needs. He is cheerful and thriving so I'm not worried about it, but I'll be glad when his swampy poo turns back into the regular yellow goop!

As long as he's not dehydrated, it all sounds perfectly normal. :o)

I was told that as long as the fecal matter doesn't smell really bad that just about every color and consistency is normal. I think the GI issue discussed is probably on the rare side but milk in your diet or the foremilk suggestions sound plausible. If I were you I'd call the lactation consultant/your pediatrician to calm your fears.

1 / 3