Infant Was Exposed to Flu

My husband has had flu symptoms for 4 days. I'm concerned for my 8 mo old, Makai. Neither him nor I have gotten the flu vaccine. I'm sleeping next to my hubby and taking care of him, then taking care of Makai. How dangerous is the flu to an infant? I just noticed Makai's got diarrhea, but no other symptoms. When should I take him in if I think he's caught it?

How many families out there have been through an illness without EVERYONE in the house getting sick?

A few moms I know have been in the same situation. They are on momslikeme.com/twincities
You can search for their threads and posts. There are many postings about this flu deal on that site.

Kids are going to be exposed to flu no matter how hard you try to keep them unexposed. Your 4 year old could bring it home without symptoms. I have to say that my now 16 year now was exposed alot to flu and colds but never got a single one of them. He did get a cold that turned into pneumonia when none of us at home had a single symptom. All you do is wash your hands and his hands on a regular basis. Not exposing him to normal everyday germs is even worse for your child because they won't build up an immunity to them. I would get him the latest flu/H1N1 shot and pray for the best.

The Flu can mean many things, the swine flu's major events are fever and resparitory distress (coughing, sneezing, discharge), usually no vomiting or diarrhea. Most people think flu means diarrhea and vomiting. Unless tested to be sure is the swine flu, was your hubby just sick?

I know a child under 6 months cannot get the h1n1 vax, but over? not sure? I would call the local health department.

I'm sure that most of my family had it (everyone except me) last month. A lot of doctors aren't even testing for it anymore, saying that it is just another flu. Anyone with a secondary condition is more at risk. I just had to watch for the warning signs but my kids (and hubby) all recovered fine with just some Tylenol and Motrin for their fevers (101.5 was the highest) and bodyaches. Their coughs though stuck around until just recently. I was even sleeping next to my husband and didn't get it. It depends upon the person and their immune system I guess. I forgot to add too that I take Vitamin D supplements and that is supposed to help fight off influenza. There is something called Just D available for kids too I think.

You've gotten some great advice. I just wanted to post another few tips on here for you and others that read it. As a hospital RN we are discouraging people from "going in" unless absolutely necessary. I KNOW it sounds wrong but aside from Tamiflu (which unfortunately our pharmacies around my metro area are running low on their supplies of) there is not much treatment that you cannot do at home.

It is frustrating to see people waiting in the Emergency or Urgent Care departments, some healthy even, all being exposed/exposing others just to hear: Go home and stay home; Rest; Drink your fluids; Take Tylenol for Fevers; Take Ibuprofen for body aches; Do not expose others by going to work ( we are telling people 7 days or 24 hours after last fever AFTER 7 days!).

You may not all get it and it may not be as severe as someone else had it in the family. But do your hand hygiene and stay home to relax as much as possible. In case of emergency due to shortness of breath, febrile seizures etc. obviously call the ambulance or get a clinic appointment but cover your cough and wash your hands!

I first off wouldn't have slept in the same room as your husband and would have stayed clear away from him.

I had the swine flu last week according to the nurse I talked to over the phone and I was prescribed tamiflu I was sick 5 days. My 12mo.old started out with diarreha, vomitting, coughing and that's about it. She had no other symptoms and can't talk so it's not clear how she felt exactly but she was crabby etc. I didn't take her to the dr. because we didn't have the need to. If she had the flu she rebounded nicely.

My 8yr.old had the same thing minus the cough and rebounded in less than 24 hours.

If this was the swine flu like the nurse on the phone thought it was it hit me the hardest, my baby mild, and my 8yr.old lightly.I think it's different in every person.

***Most influenza flu's donot have diarreha or vomitting BUT... the swine flu does it's part of the symptom list and my kiddos and I had it***That was the only symptom with a low grade fever that my 8year old had. Whereas I had every darn symptom on the list.

Most doctors are recommending the following to cut down the spread of flu: Everyone in the house should wash hands, or carry hand sanitizer and use it before picking up your son.

Most importantly have your husband wear a mask (at all times, even bedtime) until he's no longer sick (doesn't have a fever and no draining or coughing) to cut down chances of him giving it to you or your son. And for the rest of flu season, anyone who is ill should wear a mask.

Keep bedding washed, used tissues in the trash right away.
Clean countertops, knobs, wipe or spray toys and any surfaces the baby will come in contact with disinfectant as much as possible.

Make sure your son eats and sleeps well so his immune system is optimum.

There are no guarantees no one else will get sick, but these precautions do help.

Last year our daughter had influenza, and was the only one, out of nine, to get it!

1 / 3