Infant Sunscreen and Eczema

Do any of you moms have suggestions on good sunscreen for sensitive skin? My 9month old has eczema and many cremes and lotions cause breakouts. I use Cetaphil cleanser and lotion on a regular basis- everything else caused breakouts. Now that summer's here, we'll be outside a lot so my baby needs a super gentle sunscreen. I've tried Coppertone for babies and that caused a rash. Then I tried Banana Boat for babies which was a little better. Any suggestions before I spend a fortune buying all different kinds?

Hi T.,

My daughter also has eczema and Keratosis Pilaris. The best lotion that works for her skin condition and is very, very effective in blocking the suns rays is Blue Lizard. With her I either use the baby or sensitive skin formula. Both work great and she has never had a problem with either. My whole family uses it. You can usually find it at CVS, or online at dermstore.com

My friend works at a dermatologists office she gave me aveeno sunscreen for my son who has eczema also. He does real well with it!

My pediatrician recommended Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen for my daughter. It uses Oxide to block sun. They have sensitive and baby formulas and no issues with anyone in my family and we all have sensitive skin. I found it at CVS, Wegman's, Rite-Aid. Good luck!!

First, check with Doctor, and then you can also try the "spray on" Neutrogena SPF45. I have a 6 years old with eczema and the spray is lighter, so less irritating.

I did a lot of research on this because my son who is 15 months also has extremely sensitive skin. Also, the amount of harmful chemicals in baby products (especially sunscreen) is scaring the cr*p out of me. Currently I am testing 3 products based on a cross reference with the Cosmetic Safety Database (http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com), SafeMama.org, on other mother's recommendations, and checking with my pediatrician.

• Blue Lizard Sensitive Skin is good, but very thick and a little hard to apply, but it works really well and was recommended by my pediatrician. My neighbor's daughters are VERY fair and she swears by it. It is my backup sunscreen right now.

•California Baby SPF 30 is really good so far and not as thick as Blue Lizard.

• A new one, TruKid which is completely natural is WONDERFUL, easy to spread and smells great. My 6 year old son calls it "the good sunscreen". You definitely need to watch and reapply. You can order it online and there is a coupon code on SafeMama.org.

Good luck! Coppertone has been the WORST for us. Also, my pediatrician said to not apply anything over 30 SPF, because those contain extra irritating chemicals.

Hi T.,

I have exactly the same problem and have also been through many many sunscreens. First thing I was told by my doctor is that all the baby stuff is actually less sensitive then some adult sunscreen because of all the dyes (to make it pink) and fragrances (to make the nice baby smell). Throw these out. Adult sunscreens are the way to go. Two things that work for me: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer spf 70 with helioplex oil free and Aveeno Active Naturals SPF 30 FACE (I buy the face one since it is more sesitive and use it all over my son's body). The best is one that Eucerin makes. The only disadvantage I have found with that one is that it is only spray and you must apply a lot and often. It is not waterproof. Anyway hope this helps. My WaterBaby loves the pool/beach and I do not know where I would be without these sunscreens.

T.,
I'd suggest sunscreens that are not sold at the drug store or mainstream grocery. Check out My Organic Market. They have a health and personal care section with products that have less harmful chemicals; and contain more natural ingredients. Eczema is related to the liver not being able to metablize all of the toxins in the body. There are also plenty of cleansers and lotions there that will not aggrevate or cause breakouts. There is also a great company called MiEsssence. They have personal care products that are free of dyes, perfumes, and are extremely clean. They are available through distributors.
Feel free to email me if you want more info. on this issue. L.

I just had a discussion with my mom about this b/c one of my girls is sensitive to sunscreen. My little sister had problems with sunscreen, also. So, my mom went to the store and applied "test lines" on my sister's arm of about 7 different kinds of sunscreen. She shopped for about 30 minutes which gave her skin time to react. For her, Neutrogena Sensitive worked. So, I just bought it and it has been the first kind NOT to leave a rash. That being said, my eczema child (who has never ever had a bad reaction to sunscreen) broke out in a horrible, itchy rash. Goes to show what works for one won't work for another.

Hi, T.. Have you tried Aveeno Baby? IT's fragrance-free, waterproof and helps prevent moisture loss. It is SPF 55. It says that it's "mild as water." I've been using it on my twin girls and it seems to work pretty well.

1 / 3