Infant Gas Problem

My little girl is now 3.5 weeks old and over the past week she has started having really bad gas fits in the evening. They get so bad that she will come off the breast when feeding, expel the gas and cry like she is in pain. She will also lay in her bed and cry when she has gas. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried not drinking milk, which I usually drink tons of. I have done a little research on gripe water. Has anyone tried this, if so does it work at all?

A.,,,,there is some excellent stuff called milacon drops that you can get just about anywhere. If you go to Wal-Mart it is located in the baby area along with Tylenol and all that. This stuff is a life saver. I could not have handled it without this miracle medicine for babies, lol, when my girls were that little.

I don't know about gripe water, however, I have had two colicky babies. And what you're describing sounds like colic! My doctors prescribed levsin to each of them, and it worked wonders. I see that this is an old post, so you may have already worked this out. If not, I hope this helps! Good luck!

Mylicon, mylicon, mylicon, my baby went through the same thing and trust me mylicon works. You can also try rubbing her belly and back.

My son is a now almost 6mth.old breast fed baby, and I had the same problems with him until he was almost 3 mths.old. I will tell you that the more their bodies adjust it will begin to get better. Whatever you do, DO NOT listen to other people who tell you that you will have to stop breast feeding because she can not take your milk!! Breast feeding that baby is the best thing that you can do for her, so if you are dedicated to nursing her DO NOT give up unless your doctor tells you to do so. I to had people try to discourage me. Even my husband told me that I should switch to formula. This was because he came from a family of formula feeders, and they didn't understand nor were they educated enough to know how healthy your child is going to be thanks to this gift that you are giving her. I promise it will get better with time. Just don't give up and try not to get discouraged.

Luckily my son's pediatrician is very pro breast feeding, so he never suggested for me to switch my baby to formula. As a matter of fact, he told me that if I would give him formula his gas would be 10x's worse than it was. He did prescribe us some Levsin drops which seemed to help sometimes but not always. I have heard that the gripe water helps, although I never tried it. I tried Mylicon and it was a waste that did not help at all. It may work for babies with minor gas problems, but I found it did nothing for my son. I am from a small town and everyone kept telling me of this gas/colic medicine from a pharmacy here in my town. Its a special medicine that the pharmacy makes themselves that is made from all natural ingredients. I decided to give it a try and it worked wonders. Within a week of giving it to him, he still had times of gas but he seemed to be able to tolerate it much better. After that I only had to give it to him every now and then, and its been at least 2mths. since the last time I used it. It can be purchased by mail, so if you are interested let me know and I can send you the address and phone number for the pharmacy. I also found that rolling his knees into his stomach helped to get the trapped gas out too. If you do a little research there are many remedies, and it really only depends on what will work for your baby. Our doctor told me not to bother with not drinking milk, because this is much harder to do than it sounds. If the baby is allergic to milk products you will have to cut way more than just milk out of your diet, so go ahead and have yourself a glass. Stay away from really gassy foods though like brocolli and cabbage, but other than that eat what you want and stay as healthy as you can for your baby.

I wish you luck and hope that things get better for you and your new little girl. I think you are doing a great job so far, so keep up the good work.

Hey A.,
I have 3 kids, and my middle (now 2.5 yrs) had terrible issues with me drinking or eating any dairy. For 3 months I suffered through constant crying and she was inconsolable. I cut my dairy intake back to 2 servings or so a day (including dressings, cheese on a potato, the whole thing). She was much much happier, but still fussed, and still does to this day.

Most of all, some things with little people just take time and patience, the answer no one wants to hear, but the very thing that shapes our character and changes us the most.
I encourage you to enjoy her when she isn't fussing and do what you can to help her without stressing out.
I've learned that we all fuss a lot, babies just get a bad rap b/c they don't conceal their needs.
Hope you get some rest and time to bond with your sweet newborn and your other child too.
Oh, the gripe water I don't know about, the excessive research to finding an answer I do.
For me, the Lord is the author of Life and ultimately seeking Him has always revealed the most common sense answers I've needed, like just rest and endure.

I had this same problem with my son...now 5 months old. The thing that seemed to work for us is what I saw another mother mention before. I nursed him on the same side for several feedings before switching to the other side. I think that I was actually overproducing for his needs...so he never got to the rich, tummy-soothing hindmilk. This seemed to help more than anything else I tried.

I agree with all the other advice. My girls were VERY sensitive to what I ate. Wheat, especially in whole form like in granola bars, was one. Along with most spices, chocolate, any diary and veggies. I had to eat plain chicken and potatoes for a few weeks and then gradually added those things back into the diet when she was about 4 months old. The infant mylycon drops worked well for us too.

Breast milk is affected by what you eat. If you eat certain foods like cabbage for example...it can cause gas or "colic" in the baby; also, not proper burping. So you might want to take a look at what you are eating and avoid thinks like coleslaw and saurkraut for awhile, and yes, drink lots of milk. Then, thoroughly burp baby. I used to think....for some reason...that since i wasn't using a bottle, baby shouldn't be swallowing air...BUT they do.
Love, G.

I was in the same situation with my little one at that age. I too stopped drinking milk and it took a while, but seemed to help. Our Doctor suggested Gripe Water and we tried it, but it didn't seem to help (plus I didn't like having to keep it refrigerated.. it was hard to take with us.) We switched to regular gas drops ( Mylecon or Little Tummy's) and she was fine. I still keep them around and she is almost 2. I would just check with your Doctor to make sure it's ok for your little one.

Think about anything that you eat from eggs to broccoli that gives you gas. If your breast feeding I think you mentioned that you were. I did all three of my girls for a year each and learned real quick when my first was three mo. old I had been on vacation tried a new kind of pizza that had jalapeno peppers and banana peppers on it well about by the next day she had gotten very cranky and started drawing in on her legs.. Then the diareah started> thought at first she got sick but then by the next day she was fine and I ate the pizza again (love leftover pizza) and about the same time the next day she was at it again.. needless to find out I learned spicy foods, as well as green veggies, caffiene, and some dairy will give breast fed babies the worst gas it compares to collic. And then have you found uot that collic wasen't a possibilty?

All my girls had problems with gas off and on during the first three months. We used Mylacon infant drops almost daily. It is better than the generic brand. You might also try to find a lactation consultant to call (local hospital), or go online and google "lactation consultant". I had to change my diet some too. Oranges would affect my children too.

1 / 3