Infant Formula

Do you have to ask a doctor if you change your newborns formula?? I know he is having problems with reg formula, and i hve been told by others to switch to soy based, or lactose free formula. How safe is it to just switch?

If it was just changing brands, I'd say you don't need to talk to the doctor. However, if you're changing from regular to something else, like soy or lactose free, I would definitely talk to the doctor first. You don't know what is causing the irritability and playing around could make things worse. It could be something as simple as the iron (my daughter had a really hard time with the iron, but did fine on "low iron" formula), or it could be lactose intollerance, difficult-to-digest proteins, or something totally unrelated to the formula.

It is fine to change until you find one that works for the baby. Just keep in mind that you want to give each formula several days to see if it helps, switching constantly will only make the problem worse. You may find that you don't need soy-based or lactose-free at all, just a different brand of regular formula.

link: http://www.rense.com/general18/darkside.htm

You need to do some research on soy before you switch.

I used soy formula back 12 yrs ago. My child started getting ill at around 2 and is still ill at 13. She has hyperthyroidism and arthritis.

Soy is estrogenic and can mess up the thyroid. It depletes magnesium, which can cause hypocalcemia (arthritis) hypocalcemia (renal problems (which my DD had at 3.)

Also because Formulas are already highly saturated with Iron and vit D, do not add any more in supplements. They will cause disease.
There is data all ove rthe web to support this. If you need help finding links to support this, let me know.

I wouldn't change without talking to your doc... also be careful with Soy and children. Study up on the subject... there are lots of questions being raised about too much soy in kids diets!
I would try a more gentle regular formula if you have not already. They are more pricey but worth it.
As their tummies get stronger you can always switch back.

M.,
I've never had to switch to a soy based formula but I was told by our pediatrician that it can be a tough switch. I wouldn't do it without talking to my doc first. What if the switch is unnecessary? What if it doesn't go well? Sure advice from other moms is great but I feel the pediatrician might just know more and have more experience and knowledge about it.

Probably a good idea to check with your pediatrician if your baby is having problems. Certain special formulas are for certain problems. Your doctor would be best to get a suggestion from.

I've had two on formula and I've never asked about switching it. I switched my last from dairy to soy-based formula and never asked. Neither of them have ever had any problems.

Alumentum? (s/p) is a really good formula for babies that have a hard time with normal formula.

1 / 3