Infant Fever - Martinsville,IN

My 7wk old has a 100.4 fever (taken by armpit) 99.5 (by mouth) my ped hasnt given me the ok to use tylenol yet so is it ok? and at what lvl should i be concerned and take to er? our hospital nurses said 104.1 but i say thats too high... ive always hated our er hospital....

I know it can be scary but that's a really low grade fever. I wouldn't give tylenol unless there was obvious pain or discomfort.
Hang in there, and don't over medicate, it makes your child's immune system weaker in the end.

The hospital nurses are correct. No need to take a child to ER unless the fever is over 104. You can ask your pediatrician if that will help you feel more confident.

Fevers are a good thing. The body heat kills bacteria and viruses that are making the baby sick. Only give Tylenol for discomfort or if the fever is high. Ask your pediatrician when to give Tylenol.

Also antibiotics are only given when one is ill with a bacteria based infection. Antibiotics do not work on viruses and most of our illnesses are viral in nature. Also antibiotics do not directly affect a fever. The fever goes down when the bacteria are killed.

Way too young to take temp by mouth at that age. The best way is by of the rectum. good luck.

Yes, 104.1 is when to take to the E.R. Make sure to keep the baby cool enough as to not shiver. Shivering can increase fever. Keep the room cool with maybe a sheet and diaper if the room gets too cool. Make sure the baby gets enough rest and fluids as much as possible, and check the temp about every hour. It's important to stay on top of it. Best of wishes.

I would only ask a pharmacist about medications. I think a fever of 101.0 is a fever that may need antibiotics.

1 / 3