Infant Educational Toy Ideas for 1 Year Old (Ideas Needed)

I am looking to purchase some toys for a 1 year old, do you have any great suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I found a great website that sells safe non-toxic toys. Most of them are wooden toys that have food safe paint on them. It is called kangarooboo.com. My son is nearing one year and I bought some great things for him.

M. Z

The BEST toy I've ever given to my grandboy, when he was one, was a set of Boomwhackers, hollow plastic tubes in various colors with which you can actually make music. Over the past year and a half he's found dozens of imaginative things to do with his set: tunnels for small toys, bats for hitting balls, obstacle courses, trumpets, balancing devices, and much more. They are still a favorite of his. We may even get around to making music with them, too. A five-star recommendation!

Check out these videos of Boomwhackers in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa4wW5YDZYM&feature=re...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEshtV_KvsU&feature=re...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Nweg2KYVQ&feature=re...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1W4Q4i9HBI&NR=1

There are lots more videos, too. These are the ones I enjoyed the most.

I would look at "The First Three Years of Life" by Burton L. White (the library has a copy, but it's a great book to own). He and his teams spent *years* in people's *actual homes* observing what worked and what didn't--for play, for discipline, etc. He has fabulous, detailed descriptions of how baby's physical and social skills unfold, and very specific toy recommendations for each stage. Generally, these toy recommendations have nothing to do with expensive "educational" toys or major brands. Also, his observations on what kind of interactions lead to more- or less-delightful toddlers are priceless.

Enjoy that little babe of yours!

This age child LOVES to immitate Mom and Dad -- so - toys that will allow baby to pretend to clean, cook, rake, mow, drive, -- DO. ''To give a child joy, give them something to do''' - and the more real the better. Rather than a 400 dollar elaborate play kitchen that talks, sings, asks questions and has 600 little pieces --- MUCH better a simple wooden kitchen with a few real plates, cups, small silverware ( and of course it has to be carefully chosen - so baby wont get hurt if something breaks)

Duplo blocks are super - ride on toys - books that YOU love to read aloud -

Enjoy - life with a little one is so incredible.

many blessings,
Old Mom ( Mom, grandma, and pre-school teacher)

M. Z

I think any toy that fine tunes their motor skills is great. My daughter loved stacking/nesting blocks and the shape sorter thing. Also, books are a great thing. It allows you to interact with your child. My daughter loved and still loves books more than any other toy. I'd highly reccommend Usbourne books. They are colorful and durable. They have a website or you can find a rep in the area that sells them. I discovered them at the fair this past year.
As for educational toys, I just feel that kids learn best thru play and their parents. Kids learn when they have fun so anything with buttons they can push that say things like the alphabet or numbers are great. We had the Learn and Groove table and it was tons of fun, but also educational I guess.
I hate to spend money on toys, etc because they are so costly. Really take the time and check out your local thrift store or value village. They have tons of toys at reasonable prices and most just need a good wipe down with a little clorox or lysol.

We've had great luck (and fun!!) with our toys from Discovery Toys. Another mom friend of mine sells them (http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/esuite/home/csantodomingo) and we really like the measure up cups.

Other ideas:
Fisher Price little people (toys r us has them on sale right now)
Books!!!! (Target regularly has them for $1 near the front)
Balls!
Fisher Price Bouncing Zebra
A ride on toy (chicco quatro is good!)
Parents brand cars (set of 4 is about $15, they rev when pulled back and are very cute and soft)
Empty boxes (shoe, shipping, cracker, etc.)
Eebee's adventures (they are a whole line of educational play)

Hi A.!

I was a bit skeptical to buy learning toys, but I bought this for my first and it continues to be fun for both him and his sister over two years later! Never had to change the battery or anything! It is the fridgephonics from LeapFrog - durable, fun, and they both can say their ABC's b/x of it (not even three yet).

http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Fridge-Phonics-Magnetic-Se...

This is around the time your son is beginning to walk and toys that help like pull or push toys are a good choice. I sell a wooden pull duck & dog at my store Gossamer. www.gossamerfiberarts.com and I also recommend Speilwerk in Sellwood for great good quality toys. They are in the process of opening a new store in N. Portland too.

1 / 3