Infant Ear Piercing Pros vs Cons

Hello Ladies....I have a 5 1/2 month old little girl. I'm thinking about having her ears pierced and am looking for some thoughts from other moms who have had it done. Does anyone have any thoughts about age requirements and also good vs bad experiences. Any advice if we decide to do it?

Pros: you like the look

Cons: possible infection, scarring, pain, allergies AND you are doing this to a child who has no say in the matter and probably could care less about looking "cute".

Personally I think the practice should be outlawed... but alas, I guess my position is a bit extreme.
Why would you not wait until she can decide if she wants pierced ears? Don't get me wrong, I had and have a lot of piercings - but still, I would never do this to my daughter without her having a say.

I always felt my daughters' ears weren't mine to pierce. They are their ears to do with what they want. It's not my body but theirs.

Pros: you like the look

This is coming from someone who has pierced over 2000 ears in her life and has seen just about everything.

Pros: You get it over with and you have a beautiful little baby with earings.

Cons: You child can get it caught on something and rip a whole in her ear at a young age. Baby's ears are very thin and soft, although the cut will tend to heal well it is not a pleasant or fun experience.
She can have a severe reaction to the medal; Especially if you go cheap and don't use gold.
Can also get nasty infections if you don't keep them clean. Once a week isn't good enough for a growing child.
The holes will most likely be in the wrong spot 10 years down the line and she will have to have them re-done and will have the scars from the first holes the rest of her life. (This is the big reason why I advise against it) Not so pretty later in life.
Young baby's can and have actually stopped breathing from getting their ears pierced from the shock. I had a few little ones go pale white, same thing happens with some adults also so not just babies.

Just a list from my experience. Unfortunately I couldn't say no to any person who came in with a child 3 months or older with current shots but giving them a good idea of what they are putting their child through is all I could do.

I have a 15 yr old. My opinion is different and some might find offensive....my take is.....daughter is not "mine". It is her body and I feel like it is her choice if she wants her ears pierced. Her body = Her choice

She did ask to get her ears pierced at 10 and before 11 she lost interest and they grew up. She did it again at 12 and she still has the holes but she does not wear earrings except for special occasions.

Now for her 15th bday in Dec, all she wanted was her belly pierced. After a LOT of thought, I allowed her to do so and I was with her. She has had no issues with that at all.

HOWEVER, as an athlete (Cheerleader) ALL jewelry is prohibited for safety purposes. Think about that as well.

It is a personal decision and you do what it right for you but my belief is that my daughter has the say in what is done to her body.

My friend got her little girl's ears pierced, and the little girl ended up ripping them out in her sleep. She had to have her ear stitched up because of it. If I were you, I would wait until your daughter is old to decide for herself if she wants her ears pierced. Also, she should be old enough to take care of her ears herself. Teach her some responsibility for her choices and what not. That's what my mom did with me, and that's what I'm going to do with my daughter. I think it's better to wait until they are older.

If it helps any, I totally agree with Carrie. To each their own, but I definitely see something wonderful in a mommy/daughter experience when the child is old enough to understand the process. I also see that the fear can be avoided if you do it when they're younger. I guess the question is posed: Let them learn from the fear and pain when they're older and hope it develops in to a characteristic of bravery and courage, or shelter them from it as an infant and hope for other lessons and bonding experiences. Either way, I'm sure your baby girl will be beautiful, pierced ears or not :-)

Hi D.,
It depends on you. In my family we are four sisters and we all had ours done when we were infants without a problem. So did my nieces, but my daughter was about six months old or a little older when I did it. I did it at the doctor's office and it was very easy. She didn't even cry. I never had a problem with her and they never got infected. So it really depends on you. I didn't want her crying and making a big deal about getting poked when she got older, plus they look so pretty with their earrings matching their clothes :) So just take time and do what you feel more comfortable with.

Pros: Cute, don't usually mess with them

Cons: Not having the ability for her to choose if she wants them, not having the opportunity to bond with her when she decides to get it done (ie: learn about making decisions, how it hurts, cleaning it, etc - I agree with another poster on a rite of passage), baby can still mess with them, it may hurt or be infected and you may not know or realize until later than if they were older

In my house, once you were five or six and if you wanted them, you could get them (I did). My husband and I decided on the thing for our little girl.

1 / 3