Infant Cereal

My daughter is 4mo old and just started cereal. We are giving her cereal 1x per day. How long before increasing the frequency of eating cereal to 2x per day? This is all new to me. Thanks for any help with this.

Most good nutritionists suggest starting veggies and fruits before starting any grains. Please think about decreasing the cereal and introducting veggies and fruits before giving any more cereal. Starting cereal too early can lead to constipation later and other digestive issues.
Feel free to contact me if you want more info. about this.

Usually when babies are old enough and ready for solids, they eat just as we do. Three meals a day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. A quote I remember- "A person's a person no matter how small!"

I never fed my babies that young. But usually you use an increase in appetite to guage when to feed more cereal. Or if the baby is getting enough formula in a 24hr period then you could sub a bottle w/ cereal. But dont do that unless she is drinking all she needs first. Thats really all they need this young anyway, is the formula.

I agree with Meera and SM....food at this point is just to get them used to eating, not to actually fill them up. Breast milk and/or formula should be the primary food for most of the first year of life. The feeding of solids is to get them ready for the change to full time solids after a year, and to expose them to different tastes. Take your cues from your daughter, and her interest in eating, but definitely keep on going with the breast milk or formula.

Hey K.,

I would suggest just giving it to her once a daily till she's 5 months then increasing to 2 x per day. Because sometimes the cereal could cause constipation and this will allow her little belly to adjust.

Congrats !

J. Z.
Independent Shaklee Distributor
www.shaklee.net/Z.

K. - At this age the purpose of eating is just to allow your daughter to get familiar with the texture, flavour, taste of solids... So once a day is fine for now. As she begins to seem more interested in it you can increase how many times a day you give it but formula/breastmilk is still her primary source of food.

Also, here is a link to a great age-by-age guide for feeding on babycenter.com:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_age-by-age-guide-to-feeding-y...

This is a great resource: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

It depends in part on how well she is eating it. I just started cereal with my 5 1/2 month old this week (second child). She isn't crazy about it and is taking it very slowly, not even a tablespoon. This is a normal reaction, but I want to encourage it a little, so I am offering two times per day, and she is still nursing afterward. I expect in a month or so that I will be giving her two larger feedings of cereal and fruits/veggies plus milk.

The key is to remember that this is just practice eating - all of her nutrition should be coming from the milk/formula. So I would advise to offer it as much as you want for practice eating, but don't let it replace any meal yet. Four months is a little young for cereal anyway, especially, and you don't want her to have less milk/formula.

1 / 3