Infant Breast Lump

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced breast lumps in their baby girls? My husband noticed one in our daughter - almost a marble size right under the nipple on one side - about a month ago and I immediately took her to the pediatrician's office, even after on the phone they said it was nothing, and the ARNP said it was normal for 6-12 mo. old girls to get them. She said that it's from hormones and is what they call "budding", even though she said, "although it is hard!" But then after I asked, she said breast cancer doesn't exist in babies. I just want to hear that from more than one ARNP, as I am just being a typical worried mommy. Thanks for your help!!

My 13 month old daughter has them on both sides..she looks like she has small breasts. Her ped said she is a little sensitive to estrogen and that it is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Hope that helps!

It is very normal! Some children are born also with a little milk in them! It will eventually go away! Trust the doctor it is normal! It happends even in little boys.

My son is 7 weeks old, and he had the exact same thing. My pediatrician Dr Southerland (she's fabulous and was trained at The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio) called it "breast buds." It is caused by estrogen - I'm breastfeeding, so it passes thru the milk. My son's went down on one side, but then the other nipple did it. They assure me it's completely normal and nothing to worry about. Also, there are cancers which can affect infants, but I've never heard of breast cancer (and I work in the medical field). Hope that puts your mind at ease. I was weirded out (especially to think my little boy might be getting "man boobs"!)
Kristen

it probably is just a hormone lump. i would take her to a few different doctors though just to sure. really, what is the harm in a second and third opinion.

Both of my baby BOYS had breast lumps as well. Do you breastfeed? I did with both and the docs and La Leche League said it was common because of my hormones getting through into the milk. The lumps lasted several months with each and went away just as quickly as they appeared. I would recommend reading up on Web MD on the subject or typing in breast lumps in babies on Google and see what comes up. I just tried it briefly and found tons of sites that come up on the subject. Hopefully the information will be reassuring. Best of luck to you and your family.

Hope that helps!

I breastfed my second son and he got the same thing. His pediatrician said it was nomal in breastfed kids also. It kind of freaked me out so I stopped breastfeeding (I wasn't good at it anyway) and it went away.

D. (also)

Hi D.,

I'm not a doctor or a nurse. And the lump is probably nothing. But yes, infants have been known to get breast cancer. I market and advertise for a company that provides environmentally safe products for the environment and non-toxic for families and I do a tremendous amount of research on cancer and heart disease prevention. And I do speak on cancer prevention to small groups... All that to say, if you are still worried I agree with Melissa, please get a second opinion. Childhood cancer is on the rise. Go to breastcancerfund.org and read the document State of the Evidence. The summary alone is 17 pages but it is worth reading. Genetics is only 10% of why cancers exist. The main reason is the chemicals and the toxicities in our lives. Two main points: Toxins pass through the umbilical cord and in this study an average of 48 toxins were found in studied umbilical cords. Also, it's not necessarily the amount of toxins in your system but the combinations of toxins that cause cancer. Most baby shampoos on the shelves have Quaterinum-15 (Q-15) as an ingredient. (I know Johnson's and Johnsons, and Gerber's Grins and Giggles has it) It's a cheap preservative that releases formaldehyde. Frmaldehyde is a known cancer causing agent. Dioxanes are in these types of products also. We can't assume anyone DOESN'T get cancers anymore because the gloves are off. Everyones's looking for a cure but so few are trying to prevent it.

Please get a second opinion and let me know how it turns out. If I can help anymore, please let me know. God bless!

I'm not a nurse, so this is just my opinion. They are probably right, but if you want to ease your conscience then have them recommend you to a specialist or find one yourself. Have them do an ultrasound (I think that's what they do to look at it) or xrays and see if it looks like cancer. I found a lump in my breast about a year in a half ago and it turned out to be hormonal and did go away. But that's me and not an infant. As for babies not getting breast cancer, if a man can get it, I don't see why a baby girl can't. Cancer doesn't discriminate. If I were you, I'd get it checked out to be on the safe side.

1 / 3