Infant Bed for Travel

My husband and I are planning some weekend trips this summer with our almost 6-month old baby. We've never had him sleep in our bed for fear of SIDS and crushing him. He co-slept in a bedside bassinet (Arms Reach co-sleeper) for 2 months, then he transitioned well into his own crib. We're scared that he won't sleep in the hotel crib if we rent one and we don't want to bring a pack n' play, which I believe is very uncomfortable for him now. The co-sleeper is too small for him too. We are considering having him sleep in our bed but we haven't done that even at home yet. Any suggestions would be great from moms who have traveled with their babies.

I've been looking into this myself as we have a trip planned in July. My daughter will be 10 months then. She's been sleeping in her own crib in her own room since she was 3 months old. I would love for her to just share a bed with us during our trip but am fearful that it will be difficult to get her to sleep in her crib when we return. I can't imagine bringing the pack and play, especially now that the airlines are charging for second baggage. I know there are more compact versions - like Phil and Ted's travel cot or the Peapod Plus Indoor Outdoor Infant Travel Bed. Otherwise there are also companies that rent full size cribs, and anything else you could possibly need for your baby while on vacation -like www.travelbabees.com. Try this link:http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/baby-equipment-rentals.htm. Happy Travels!

MOST kids do fine in a Pack N Play - my son HATED that thing - we didn't have an option (he hated sleeping with us as well - hated sleeping in general actually!!) We traveled at least once a month the first year of his life, so were forced to tote that thing around. I still have no idea what we would do the 2nd time around (if we had a kid with the same issue). There are loads of other (somewhat expensive) options regarding travel beds for infants/toddlers - just go online - http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId... http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId...
Those are just 2 options. It's really just going to be an experiment - do what's comfortable for you. Personally, I would have preferred my kid just sleep with us so we wouldn't have to tote anything around, but he never liked to. It's soooo much easier now that he sleeps in a twin bed (has since 18 mths). It was a super easy transition & now we just have to take a bedrail with us wherever we go, KNOWING he'll sleep just dandy. Good luck!!

I have twins and when we traveled there was no way I was taking 2 pak n plays b/c the two of them wouldn't sleep in one pak n play. We also didn't want to use the old style cribs that the hotels have so we decided to give this a try and it worked. We brought 2 extremely flat pillows....and laid them on the ground with a blanket (their usual crib blanket). We just showed the kids to sleep on the pillow and they actually did it. It has worked great ever since they were 6 months old and now they are two. They can sleep anywhere and everywhere if I just lay any pillow on the ground. We started practicing at nap time before we left for our first trip. I figure if daycares can teach one year old to sleep on little cots I could teach our 6 months old to do it too. When we practiced I didn't use their bedroom just so it wouldn't get confused with them not ever being in the crib. I would use the office or even our bedroom. It really has worked out great for us. Have a great vacation!!!

we sleep with our son when we travel and most nights at home too, you just have to have him in between you so he does not roll of the bed, or keep him cradled in your arms. Sleeping with a little one does not cause SIDS and I have never come close to "crushing" him when we sleep- it is amazing that when you sleep with your little one you are very aware of him. plus a 6 month old is capable of lifting his head up and crying out if he did get caught or uncomfortable. I would try sleeping with him in your bed at home so you are more comfortable with it. other thoughts- some hotels may have cribs for you to use, also I read about this service in a AAA magazine, I cannot remember what it was called but you can call them ahead and rent baby equipment and toys for a small fee- they drop it off and pick it up- might be worth some research into
good luck and have fun on vacation

FYI- There has never been a case of sober parents rolling on and suffocating a baby. If you and your partner do not use drugs or alcohol before bed, you will not roll on top of a baby. Also, co-sleeping babies have a LOWER rate of SIDS. Tiny mammmals are not meant to sleep alone. There neurological systems are not fully developed and episodes of sleep apnea (where breathing stops) are common and are avoided when babies are near adults who are breathing steadily. Google "James McKenna" for the published, peer-reviewed studies. I know that co-sleeping is not for everyone (we have to struggle to make it work) but your reasons for not wanting to do it are not valid.

When we travel, we tried using one of the hotel cribs once and only once. Our son did not like it at all and the stupid thing creaked all night whenever our son moved. Needless to say, it was a very long night. Ever since then, we take our own pack-n-play. But since they are so bulky to take along on trips, I've been looking for an alternative myself. The best one I've seen so far has been an inflatable 'toddler size' mattress that lays on the floor. It's on the One Step Ahead (or Leaps and Bounds) website. Before we go on our next trip, I'm definitely ordering that one for our boys.

N.

Honestly the Pack N Play is the only way to go. Hotel cribs are not necessarily safe and are probably not cleaned as often as they should be. Are you are willing to go to bed at 7 or 8 pm (or whatever the babys bedtime is)with the baby? It is not safe for him to sleep on a bed by himself until you come to bed. You will sleep poorly since you are not used to sleeping with baby either. Baby will have to get used to the Pack N Play over time, but it's worth it. And they are actually comfortable (at least the ones made in the past few years). You also risk the baby getting used to sleeping with you and then refusing to sleep by himself at home. It could undo all the work you did getting him to sleep by himself in the first place. If he gets used to the Pack N Play, it will also be a safe place for him to hang out when he is older and more active while you shower for a few minutes (or load the car or whatever) when you travel.

Another vote for the pack n' play. I put a folded lap quilt under the sheet for a little extra padding, too. We just traveled this past weekend, actually. We started putting my son in the pack n' play a couple days early so he'd get used to sleeping in there while still in his own room--the hope was that he would sleep better because he was used to the pack n' play even if it was in a new room. So he wasn't dealing with a new bed *and* a new room. We also have him used to a solid bed time routine. Upstairs, pj's, books, in bed and falling asleep on his own...I think this has made the biggest difference! Anyway, he slept really well. We use a fan in his room for white noise. We've started using one when we travel too and that helps a lot.

Stick to his routine and make things as "close to home" as possible and that will go a long way. Good luck!

1 / 3