Infant a Noisy Sleeper

Hi fellow Moms!

My 5 week old is a noisy sleeper! He grunts, groans, squawks, moans, and fidgets on top of it all. He does it mostly at night, of course, when I am also trying to sleep! And since I am programmed to wake up at his slightest noise, I have a difficult time sleeping when he does this. He does not do it ALL the time, he tends to be quieter from 10:45 (his last feeding and "bedtime") to about 1:30 or 2 AM, his "first" feeding of the night. That's when I get my best sleep. His "last" feeding, about 4 AM or so, is when he gets really noisy, so much so that my wonderful hubby usually gets up then and takes him into another room so I can get more sleep, after I have nursed of course. My hubby can sleep thru the baby's noise, so he either works on the computer or goes back to sleep on the couch. He takes a bottle of breastmilk that I pumped as well in case the baby wakes again and is hungry. Our son is rarely noisy in his sleep during the day, oddly enough. I'm assuming this is happening, perhaps, becuase he is not deeply asleep? Because he will also make alot of noise when I am feeding him, when he is obviously "half-asleep". So my question is this, has anyone else had this same issue? Do the babies grow out of it at some point? If so, WHEN?

My hubby feels we should put him in his crib, so I can sleep better. But I am not quite ready to do that yet. I still feel the need to have him close by me in his bassinet. But, in a few weeks, my husband leaves for another year long military deployment, and I will loose that wonderful help and 3 hours of precious, quiet sleep in the mornings when he takes the baby, so I may have to consider putting our son into his crib then. Thanks is advance for any help and advice!

I went through the same thing with my, he still does it once and awhile, i was told those or the saound they made in the womb and could possibly be the sounds they heard.

My son was the same way. I used to joke that he sounded like an old jalopy in a cartoon. You could try a white noise machine or ear plugs--this will quell the sound but not diminish it, so you can still hear him for what he needs. I totally understand wanting him near you right now.

Hey there A.,
Just wanted to say that I too have a noisy sleeper only at night. I have tried everything and nothing seems to help. I have twin boys that are 27mos old. One is a good sleeper at night and the other one is just starting to be a quiet sleeper. I think it has something to do with his breathing but have never asked the doctor about it. I have tried propping him up, putting him on his side and other positions, but that never seem to work either. He is too much of a wiggle worm. Sorry to tell you he is just now starting to quiet down. And those first few times when he is quiet for a longer period of time, you probably won't sleep well either. Its ok, its the worry wart in all us. Let us know if you have found the trick. Good luck with your husband being gone. Be strong and now that we are all thinking about you and the safety of you husband.

Hi A..

I have a 3-week-old grunter as well. Although, he grunts all the time. (His name is Noah Jeffrey and my husband has nicknamed him NJ Grunt. :-)) I am going to the doc with my other son on Monday and plan to ask about this. There are a lot of pollens and dust and whatever that are causing him to be pretty congested. This is extremely common with newborns. There are different pollens in the air at night, maybe that is why your little one is struggling. I have also noticed with ours that he is much louder when I put him down at night, even when I put him on his side (though side-sleeping is much less noisy than back-sleeping), as opposed to sleeping in the swing during the day. It's like when you have a cold or something and you can't sleep very well on your back. If I remember, I'll let you know what my doc says about my little one. Get as much sleep as possible! And God be with you while your husband is away on deployment.

Oh- and as for putting him in his own room. Totally up to you. With my first son, we didn't transfer him to his room until he was 5 months old and never used cry it out until he was about 18 months old (and that was cranky, I'm tired crying, that lasts less than 10 minutes before going to sleep.) I personally can't handle crying, let alone the effects it has on the baby. If my husband were leaving for a year in the next few weeks, I would probably sleep even less if I transferred our baby to his own room. My husband does not really participate in nighttime care anyway, because I am exclusively breastfeeding and that's the only time NJ Grunt wakes up. But, if he were going to be gone, I know that I would be even more hyper-alert than I am currently. You need to make a decision regarding the room-transfer that works best for you personally, as you will be the only one there soon. Again, God be with you.

Lots of babies are noisy sleepers. You've got to either figure out how to sleep through it or put him in the other room. My youngest was super noisy; he sounded like the static between radio stations. I've heard that most babies outgrow this by 6 months; mine did. Last word of advice, if you do decide to put him in his crib, don't let him cry it out. Babies that young need attention when they cry. The cry it out method is not recommended until at least 6 months. Good luck!

This is too funny...my son was the same way. I swear that I gave birth to a little piglet...he would snort, chomp, and in general be so noisy that I could not sleep. I am typically a very sound sleeper (a bomb couldn't wake me up) but this little guy could. I moved him to his crib when he was 6 weeks old. I still couldn't sleep because he wanted to nurse so much...but it was better than having him in our room.

There are just different temperaments out there when it comes to babies. If yours turns out like ours has, get ready for a very loud child in general. My husband and I are pretty quiet people by nature...so we're not sure where our little loudmouth came from!

I hope things get better for you, and I think you are AMAZING to be able to take care of two children on your own!

I went through the same thing with my son. He was very noisy and like you I had to find a solution because my husband deployed 2 weeks after his birth. The thing that worked best for us was to move the bassinet out in the hallway. We had a small one so it was very easy to move back and forth. Being in the hallway, he was still close enough for me to hear when he was awake without waking up the whole house but he wasn't right there for me to hear every little noise. We both slept better after I put him in the hallway because I wasn't waking up with every move and he didn't wake until he was ready too. After about a month I moved him into his room. Good luck and a special thanks to you and your husband for your service to our country!

My little guy was a very noisy sleeper. Especially his breathing! Honestly, it freaked me out at first until my midwife told me that it was totally normal. I, too, couldn't bear the thought of having him in another room, especially when he needed middle of the night feedings. I don't remember exactly, but he grew out of it around 2 or 3 months of age. We moved him to his own room at 4 months. I believe that newborns belong next to their moms at night, so my best advice is to realize that he will grow out of it soon, and do your best in the meantime.

My little girl did the exact same thing - perfectly quiet during daytime naps but grunting and groaning at night. It was the other way around for us though - I slept through it just fine and my husband's sleep was disturbed by it all night long.

I ended up asking her doctor about it and they couldn't help me at all. I can tell you she grew out of it by the time I started putting her in her crib at 3 months. Not sure exactly when - it just kind of started fading away. Hopefully yours will do the same thing before your husband isn't there to help.

our first daughter slept in our room until she was a year (and only out of our bed after she started kicking us in the head). however with our second daughter, she was so noisy and wiggly that i couldn't get any sleep so she slept in her crib from the beginning. but i would still jump up at every sound. what helped was earplugs and a baby monitor. the baby plugs filtered out the wiggling and fidgeting noises but i was still able to hear her cry. my husband slept through everything regardless of course.

1 / 3