Induction with 2Nd Baby

I am currently 36 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I had a really hard delivery with the first - got induced at 40 wks, 5 days, 26 hour labor, epidural didn't work, baby was large and doctor had to use a vacuum, and had episiotomy due to large baby (8 lbs, 7 oz). This time around I hope I go naturally, but if not I am planning to be induced at 39 weeks. I'm just curious how labor & delivery went for those of you who had difficult first deliveries. Also, how did it go if you were induced on both occasions?

My first delivery I had pitocin to speed the process. I also tore because of a large head. It took me 6 weeks to fully heal from this. My second delivery went so fast and no complications at all. No healing necessary, I felt great the next day! Every delivery is different, you really have no idea what to expect.

I had a rough labor and delivery with my first one too. I was sore and miserable for weeks afterward. However, things went much better for my 2nd and 3rd! I was induced with my 2nd and 3rd too and the induction went much better. I also recovered much easier and didn't have an episiotomy with the latter 2. I had larger babies(all over 8 lbs.) So don't worry too much-- my OB/GYN said that things went better because my body was "stretched out more" and that it knew what to do now since I had been through it before. Each pregnancy is different so hopefully things will work out well with you. Good luck!

I don't have much help for you, I had a difficult first labor (18hrs) ended up in an emergency c-section (babies HR plummeted and I had a fever of 102) so my next two I choose to deliver via c-section!!! Oh yeah with everything else that was going on I only dilated to 6cm!!!

Sorry I don't have a good story for you to help ease any anxity you may have.

Anyway I just wanted to wish you good luck and a better labor than last time. I know they say that usually the second goes better!!

A.

I know you have gotten a lot of advice, and let me just say follow your own heart. There are so many right ways to do things. Don't let anyone guilt you into what you don't want. Low amniotic fluid is a reason for concern, especially for your oldest child. Trust in your doctor.
My first delivery was also bad. I was induced 9 days overdue, and had an epidural. I pushed for 2 hours, and my daughter was getting no where. My epidural had worn off, still no where. I had forceps to help move her, and an episiotomy that tore to a third degree lac. She was 8 lb 15 oz, 22 1/4 inches long, had lots of head molding. My second, also an induction 5 days late, was 10 lbs. She nearly didn't come out once the head was out because of a shoulder dystocia. But no tear, not near as rough a delivery, and much easier recovery even though she was much bigger baby. Second deliveries are definitely much easier. With my second all they had to do was break my water, no pitocin. I also might add I went into labor with her at 32 weeks, had my labor stopped, was on bedrest, and had contractions every day for at least 2 hours after a car ride, so my uterus was ready. She was born 4 1/2 hours after they broke mywater, and I had an epidural. Third was induced at 38 weeks with pit becuase he was already 8 1/2 pounds at 37 weeks. At birth he was 9 lb 4 oz. Very easy delivery. If I had waited until 41 weeks, who knows how large he would have been!!!! And finally, 4th came on his own, no help, at 38 weeks 6 days, weighing 9 lbs 3 oz. No epidural, no time for it. Didn't make me feel like more of a woman, actually, made me angry at him at first because he caused me sooo much pain.
Again, go with what makes you feel most comfortable, consulting with your MD who you trust since he knows the most about your situation.

Well, of course this is your call, but I would encourage you to hold off a few weeks on the induction--it's not medically necessary until 42 weeks, and things might go easier if you can go into labor when you body & baby are "ready." Of course I wouldn't call my labor "easy" at 14 hours and no meds (in the end I was glad I did it that way, though during transition I was certainly NOT). But I always hear that induced contractions are harder--when labor happens on its own I think you get more of a gradual build-up. It's different for everyone, but for me at least I felt that it built up at a pace that I could sort of handle--not that I was really "handling" anything, but I didn't feel I was ever taken by surprise by a sudden huge increase in the pain, and by the time I was thinking "this can't possibly get any worse," that was the worst it got. So especially if the epidural might not take again (do you know why it didn't last time?) I'd say wait as long as possible to try to start naturally.

By the way, in case it is influencing your decision, I don't really buy the "your baby is big, so you should deliver early" argument. Our bodies are made to give birth to our children. I weighed 100 pounds before I got pregnant and managed to have a 7-lb, 13-oz baby. I tore some, yes, but it's not like he wasn't going to come out. And I don't think I even would have torn if it wasn't for the fact that I'd been up all night, was worn out, and was pushing like hell just to get it over with when I probably should have taken it a little slower. Ha, sorry, I actually do mean to be reassuring...I think there is more to be gained by letting things take their natural course than there is to be lost by having a little more pain in the birth of a large baby.

Anyway, let me also recommend my two favorite natural-childbirth books, _Ina May's Guide to Childbirth_ and _Birthing from Within_. Even if you're not a crazy no-drugs no-medical-intervention freak like me, they contain a lot of helpful ways to psych yourself up for birth. Being confident and relaxed does a LOT to help even those big babies come out smoothly! And having a steady, reassuring support person. I was lucky to have an awesome L&D nurse--do you know about the staff where you are planning to deliver? Or can you hire a doula? It's worth looking into, seriously, there are studies showing that women assisted by doulas have dramatically lower rates of episiotomy or tearing, forceps/vacuum delivery, and C-section.

Congratulations, blessings, hope it all goes well, and as another nice mom told me on this site, "Eat plenty of protein and remember to breathe."

I had my first child 7 years ago and he was induced at 39 weeks and ended up being vacuumed out after 12 hours of labor. He weighed 8 lbs 2 oz. Two years later I was induced with my 2nd baby and it was smooth sailing. The first child I had a 3rd degree episotomy and the 2nd child I had a 1st degree episotomy. I felt so much better with the 2nd delivery and had an epidural with both. My 2nd one weighed 7 lbs. 11 oz. I have had 2 more children since then.

Best wishes....

Dear E.,

I would like to recommend a book to you. It's called "The Thinking Woman's Guide To A Better Birth." It's written by Henci Goer, a natural birth advocate and researcher. The book is full of studies that your obstetrician will likely not tell you about, but that every woman should know the facts about.

My first labor was 88 hours long, and it ended with a C-section after a transfer from a rural birthing center to hospital. My second birth was a tremendously healing experience - I gave birth vaginally. It was beautiful and truly empowering. I used a midwife and she gave me extra strength and encouragement to push the baby out myself, even though the obstetrician on-call was preparing for another c-section and there was considerable pressure to go in that direction - for no reason other than to cut down on the time it took me to deliver, I might add.

I was determined to give birth on my own, and I did! It felt like the best victory of my life. It felt like I had beat a system that over-medicalizes a normal birthing process and takes away a woman's right to choose many factors in her birth experience.

Remember, most interventions in labor and delivery lead to an increased risk of c-section, and induction is the first major step towards taking away your birth and making it into a medical emergency situtaion, when it almost never needs to be.

It sounds like you need more educated support and information about VBAC - vaginal birth after ceasarian.

I don't really understand your reason for deciding on induction before you are even considered post-dates. Medical studies show a vastly increased risk of c-section with inductions. Why not just wait until the baby is actually ready to be born instead of trying to use drugs to force your body to go into labor when it's not ready?

Going until 42 weeks is still considered on time. The average natural length for a second pregnancy is 41 weeks, and your doctor should NOT be recommending induction unless you are seriously high risk (a large baby is not considered a high risk factor), and medical studies do not support the idea that a large baby equals a need for induction.

I know of many tiny women who have naturally birthed babies ten pounds and bigger.

I wish you the best as you seek out correct information to make a truly informed choice.

Congratulations, and evey best wish for a wonderful birthing experience!

Hi E., I was induced with all three kids. My first pregnancy, my son was late and I was induced, had an epidural, had him in 5 hours, but the doctor had to use a vacuum. He was my biggest at 8lbs. My second pregnancy, my daughter came three weeks early, but no contractions after my water broke. She was my easiest 5 hours later and 2 pushes at 6lbs 11oz although the anesthesiologist tried two epidurals and a spinal and it didn't take. My back was black and blue for months. My third pregnancy, my daughter was a month early, but like her sister, no contractions after my water broke. 12 hours later, an epidural that didn't work and 10 pushes she was out at 6lbs 13oz. The inductions worked for me. I was lucky I didn't have long labors with any of my kids. But like most people have posted on here, every child is different. They say it's supposed to get easier with each delivery, but that's not always the case. Hope this helped you. Good luck!

Hi! I was induced with my first because he was 5 days late and to be honest I slept through the "light labor" (5 hours) and they woke me up when my water broke and gave me an epidural. 22 minutes later there he was. It was so great that I requested to be induced with our second on Sept 20th, 2008. Hope this eases your mind!

S. - mother of 2 1/2 yr old and 1 on the way!

Hi E..
I know nobody's labor and delivery are the same, but I will share that the second time around was SOOOO much easier for me. My first was induced at 41 weeks and after 2+ hours of pushing was delivered with a vacuum resulting in a 2nd degree tear. He was 8lbs. 1oz. My second was born 2 years later on 4/10/08. I went into labor on my own one day after my due date. I was admitted to the hospital at 6:05 pm and he was born at 7:48 pm .... yes, 1 hour and 45 minutes after admission! I was able to give birth without the aid of a vacuum, but I still had a 2nd degree tear because he was a BIG boy at 8lbs. 15 oz. However, I found the entire recovery process to be much easier the second time around.
Good luck to you,

I know you've probably heard people say that every delivery is different! All 3 of mine definitely were, ranging in times of 1 hour of labor to 14 hours. My epiderals never work and with one baby I didn't get one(not by choice) because he came so fast, almost in the car. I think you'll be fine with the second delivery, at least with #2 we know what to expect more than with #1 and I think this helps us through it. I was only induced with my first baby and my labor was relatively fast(3 hours). I would just encourage you to rely on your breathing and relaxation techniques. This is what got my through! And keep moving, I don't know why they have us laying down....walking/sitting and rocking in a rocking chair etc. helps stimulate your labor!! Having my second baby, without an epideral, was an amazing experience that I never thought I'd want to have(hahaaha) and my recovery seemed so much faster when compared to my births with epideral. Good luck to you and congrats on your new addition!

1 / 3