Indoor Cat with Fleas... Suggestions on Defleaing Her and House

Some Siamese/pursian kittens were born at my daughers house. I got the runt female kitten. She has been only indoor cat. Somehow she got fleas. I keep using comb and taking them off of her. We're down to the baby ones now, but they are coming out in the house now. I'm wondering how long they can live off of a host, angel, my cat, and I have several bites on my ankle. I tried flea collar, powder, got some flea shampoo and am going to vet today to get Advantage, front line, or whatever they say is best. I am thinking of the bomb... but have open cupboards. How to secure everything??? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks to all for your thoughts... This was a new experience for me. I did do the advantage for "angel" and borax, but didn't get response until later about leaving on a day or two. I vacuumed a lot, and then i got suggestions to leave borax on a day or so... So now i don't vacuum as much. And, since i was going to be gone all day, one day i did the bomb the pet store highly recommended... And to do 2 times. No more cat scratching. She did decide it is cooler in garage and has been staying out there. Doesn't even want to come in house now. My ankle is clearing up. I go out often and pet and talk to her... And she listens just like she understands and then puts her little paw on my face as if to say... Thank you! That helped!!! So thanks to all who shared. I will do one more bomb soon and will continue to vacuum often.so, thanks again.

This is REALLY simple and will only take about five days total to have complete freedom. Go to Holistic Pet on 82nd DRIVE and get a container of diatomaceous earth and then follow the instructions at this web page.

http://www.freshwaterorganics.com/uses.html

I have a ten pound bag given the fact that there are hundreds of uses. I primarily use it for pest and parasite control. I have not seen a single flea in two and a half years....which is when I bought my first can of DE from Holistic Pet on the hopes it would stop a horrible infestation. I now buy it from that website because it is much cheaper and I know it is safe for human consumption as well.

Frontline is good, and there are some good websites that sell it cheaper than the vet will, like Petmed.com. I found that initiallly to vacume the house every day for a couple of weeks will eliminate the fleas and some eggs. They will actually die in the bag.

There is this great non-toxic, safe for kids and animals spray called Flea Flea. You should be able to find it at a feed/animal store. We had a flea prob. and the bombs did NOTHING (believe me we did enough to do in an army!) but this stuff had the problem in hand after 1 treatment! Also Penny Royal Oil around the bottome of outside doors and windows keeps out all kinds of little pests!

Advantage on the cat is a must! We had a bazillion fleas. We used the Advantage (those over the counter ones don't work so get the one from the vet) and then we had our carpets professionally cleaned. He put something in the shampoo that got rid of the eggs and fleas and we were never bothered again. Keep up on the Advantage treatments. I do vacuum often and put a few moth balls in the vacuum because I vacuum up spiders and other bugs too and don't want any chance of any creepy crawlers coming back out of the vacuum!

Years ago when I had roomates with cats we had flea problems. We paid lots of money to get rid of them and found out they were simply spreading Borax laundry soap around the carpets and in the cracks of the hardwood floors. I would never use flea bombs since there are so many chemicals that could make you sick. How about the flea medicine you can get from the vet?
I think there is a site called petmeds.com where you can order without seeing the vet.I'm not sure since I don't have pets. Good luck! A.

Go to your health food store, or pet store and ask for a natural flea repellent. Tell them you have them in your house and on you. My sister got rid of them by vacuuming her rugs and furniture every 3 days. She also washed all she sheets, ets,. Good look.

pour borax laundry detergent onto carpets and sweep in. Let sit for a few days before vacuuming. The chemicals in the detergent will dehydrate the fleas. You will never have fleas again. I have used this technique on all of my homes and it has worked great for me. Hope this helps you. Also, I have heard if you give your pets garlic it wards of fleas.

There is a product you can get at some Veterinary offices called "Knock-out" that should help get rid of fleas in your house. But you've got to get them off the animals first-- it sounds like you're on the right track there (front-line is great.) The other thing to do is vaccuum, vaccuum, vaccuum. All the carpets, furniture, bedding. Trust me! My husband is a vet and I am a vet tech.

Yes,, i do,, borax,, it is a soap you buy in the laundry detergent ,, the same isle,, just sprinkle a little all over the carpet,,and salt too, it cuts the eggs and adults it is not harmful, as for your cat,, call around to animal agencies and thy can give you a free drops for your cat,, good luck,, or you can buy it,, shop around,once you get the drops for your cat,, with in 24 hours all fleas will be gone!!!! vacume all done,,, D.

1 / 3