Individual Health Insurance - Duluth,GA

Hi ladies! Medical insurance...yuk!!! I so dislike this subject! But I have to ask if anyone has found good coverage for either themselves (on an individual plan) or for the whole family? ....I know...I know...you can stop laughing now :-) Our insurance has gone from mediocre to worse over the years but it's not THE WORSE. Here's the deal, if my husband chooses to insure just himself and our boys through his company, it's not too bad per pay period. But if I am added, we'll pay almost $300.00 more a pay period(go figure...and I no longer need a plan that covers maternity)...So I'm thinking I need to start looking for an individual plan but just thought I'd throw this out to the universe to see, if by chance, any of you have found a hidden insurance treasure??????

Ladies, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my request. I'm eager to start looking in to many of these suggestions. Thank you so much!

I have had a great experience with Kaiser Permanente. I have had various policies - one for both my husband and daughter, and one for just my daughter. You can find reasonable monthly premiums if you are willing to go with a higher deductible. Not a big deal if you are healthy. The Kaiser facilities are great, as they are all inclusive, and I have had no problem getting my daughter seen the same day I call for sick visits. Good luck!

Hi! We had the same problem with my husband's work insurance. After looking at and comparing rates online (I think the site is ehealthinsurance.com?) I went with BCBS GA- I saw others recommended this also. I need maternity coverage so we all are on different plans, but still affordable. If you don't need maternity and are relatively healthy I would look into BCBS GA's Tonik plans-my kids are on that and it has vision and dental as well as preventive and hospital coverage- and it is very reasonable!

good luck!

We use BCBS for my daughter, although it has gotten more expensive every year. One thing to consider - it took us about 2 months+ for them to issue the policy. Do you have that time? And I think with adults there may be issues if you aren't continuously insured (not sure since I haven't done it for myself). Either way, you may want to consider being on his policy for this year since there are only a few months. You can change at the beginning of the year (most likely)

When our beautiful daughter was born I had terrible complications and we were so wrapped up in that that my sweet husband forgot to add her to our plan and they wouldn't let us do it once we realized it!! All that to say I had to get individual coverage for her and I only pay $82 a month for her. It is through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia and it is called Tonik. It might be worth looking into. I have been very pleased with it.

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Premiere. I just got on it, but so far so good. I only have to pay $35 per doc visits. It's an additional cost, but I added dental and vision. I think this is the link for the state of Georgia. http://bcbsgahealthplans.com/?dname=goo.bcbsgahealthplans...

I will be looking into this because we're on a family plan and it is costing us 230 a week, that is half my husband's check!!! EVERY WEEK!!!!

My husband is about to be layed off and we have been looking for an individual plan to cover the 5 of us. I found someone who came recommended by a neighbor and he has been great. his name is jon dion~ you can google for his website. we are going with coventry and it will cost us about $350/month. coverage seems good, deductible is high (2500). No maternity coverage. He had several other plans to chose from, some including dental. They ranged from $350-$650 for our family. I highly recommend checking him out~ my husbands employer was paying 100% of our monthly premiums which were $1500/month. I was scared that we'd have to get a policy that cost as much but Jon explained that group plans can run much higher b/c of the other individuals in the group and their health issues. He will also explain to you why you want to stay away from some companies. To insure just yourself, with no maternity, would be very cheap unless you have a lot of underlying health conditions. Hope this helps~ good luck!

Hi K..

Have you considered a Health Savings Account (HSA)? If you are in good health and rarely see the doctor for more than annual check-ups, then it might be a good option for you. Basically, it is like a bank account that you make monthly deposits into (you can even invest the money you put into the account, so it grows while it sits there) instead of making large monthly payments to an insurance company. Then, you pay out of that account for any/all healthcare expenses, from Tylenol to doctor's visits. The money you put into the HSA is tax deductible, and it stays there as long as you need it. The account usually comes with it's own debit card for use at the doctor's office. The only requirement is that you carry a high-deductible health plan to cover you in the event that a major medical issue arises. (Generally, a high deductible health plan is very inexpensive per month, like $20 a month, and carries a deductible of $2,500 or so, which you could pay using your HSA in the event that you needed it.)

Hope you find something that works for you! Good luck!

Hi K.. I feel for you. We have been going through the same thing. A friend gave me the name and number to a very nice, knowledgeable woman that she uses for her insurance needs. I called her and requested some quotes. She found a plan for me that was awesome. Surprisingly, it was under BCBS of GA. Only catch was that it didn't have maternity coverage (which I still need). Since you don't need the maternity coverage you would probably really benefit from this plan. If I were you, I would have someone check into the different plans BCBS offers. If you want to contact me privately I'll give you the name and number to the woman I called. She was very honest....she told me pros and cons of every plan she gave me a quote for and she helped me understand all the mumbo jumbo...I hate trying to figure out insurance terms and what all the fine print means. Good luck!!!

1 / 3