Indiana Jones Movie for Almost 6 Year Old?

Hi Moms-

I remember watching this when I was a kid, but havent seen it in decades....My almost 6 year old really wants an Indiana jones movie for christmas or birthday (its 4 days before). Have your kids seen it, is there anything scary that I cant remember, or is one of the movies better than the other ones? Thanks for your help so I dont have to try and watch it in the next few days!

He really got interested in Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Carribean(we havent let him watch that either) because he has the lego sets, and also Star Wars..he has watched 2 of those and really liked them. He has watched the trailers to the movies on youtube, but I suppose I will hold off until I watch the movie again myself to really judge. Thanks for your input!

There are movie ratings for a reason!! The Indiana Jones ones are PG 13 I think so they are not suitable for kids younger than that. I am AMAZED at the number of people who let their young kids watch inappropriate movies. My 10 year old twins only watch what they are allowed on the box and the same with video games( they are v happy as they can now play the 10+ ones!)

We watch them (kids are 7 & 4). I cover their eyes on the scary part (like when they open the arc, or in the last crusade when the guy picks the wrong cup and drinks from it.). They've been fine, no nightmares.

It's way too scary, in my opinion, for a six year old. If you want a good summary and opinions, try commonsensemedia.org. They review all sorts of movies, books, and games and give age ranges for which they're appropriate.

(for what it's worth - I just checked and they say the first three Indiana Jones movies are appropriate for ages 11 and up)

well theres the whole "in the pit with the snakes part" the guys chasing him, the guy with the burned hand thing. I think 6 is pretty young for this movie. and if your going show him a movie but have to cover his eyes for part of it I would think that was the big clue that its too old for him

My husband let our son watch those at six, but I wouldn't have. There are some very gruesome scenes -- faces melting, ants eating up a person, etc. Definitely not appropriate for that age group.

If your son has a Wii, I do like the Lego Indiana Jones game. Same themes and characters, but tame.

I didn't let our daughter see the first one until just recently -- and she is 10 years old and definitely not a "scaredy-cat" who gets easily frightened. The scene at the end of the first film where the Ark of the Covenant's power melts the villain's face down to the skull, melts everyone in the place (except our heroes) down to skeletons and then destroys even the skeletons is very scary, I think. My daughter loves sword-and-sorcery films and she wasn't upset and perfectly understood what was going on but found it scary anyway (I know because she jumped over the scene when watching it again).

I figure, why rush these movies? Yeah, they're great, and yeah, I guess kids today see more stuff that's violent or scary at earlier ages than we did. But I would think this film too scary for younger kids, and by younger I would say any kid under about 10. Go to web sites that do reviews aimed specifically at parents wanting to know what movies are OK for kids. Why does your son want an Indiana Jones movie at his age? Has someone been talking it up? I'd start talking up something more age-appropriate.

In our family, I remember watching it when we were about 11 or 12; it was thrilling to say the least.

Unfortunately, my younger brother watched it earlier- at around seven or so-- and had nightmares for a while. I suppose it depends on the child, but we're going to wait a while for this one in our house. I'm not cool with my kid seeing the human sacrifice scenes or the weird relationship between Indiana Jones and his girlfriend either.

Common Sense Media recommends them for children 11 and older.

1 / 3