In the Exact Strange Holes in My Clothing...

Hi ladies! This is a weird one! Several of my shirts over the last few months have been getting small holes in the front waist area. It would look as though something was eating it but they are just tiny holes and anywhere from 1-3 holes. It sits just above or just below my belt. I tried to see if it was my belt but it is not sharp and does not rub right on the spots where the holes are. I have checked the shelf below where my shirts hang to see if anything is under there that is sharp. We do not have mice. :o) It is not my zipper rubbing. I am at a loss and starting to get upset about it. Today I noticed a nice sweater I bought not too long ago now has a hole in it. I have two belts that I wear on a regular basis and neither are sharp.... Please help me think of what it could be! Crazy question I know.....
thanks for your help!

I can't imagine they are moths because the holes are in the exact same spots on all of my shirts. No pants, and only at my waistline. I have not seen ants....and I would surely see them. I will try to get moth repellant anyway b/c it is a good thing to have...keep trying ladies! Thanks!

****my husband also thinks it is my seat belt rubbing on my belt. I think you ladies have hit it right on. Now help me figure out how to avoid it. I have to wear my belt! :o)

My husband was having the same problem and we learned he was leaning into a product that caused this chemical reaction.

I frequently catch my shirt or sweater on my kitchen drawer and cabinet handles that are about that height.

I am sooo glad you posted this! I have the same thing - 2 holes, same place in long and short sleeve shirts I wear with all different outfits! I can find nothing in common. Thank you thank you thank you for posting this, it's so nice to have some answers!

Do u have a granite countertop bar that u sit at? If so, feel the edges to see if there r little chips in it where it would rub at your waist. Or a desk at work?

Do you have long fingernails? It could be the spot where you tuck?

It's your belt. Well, it's probably your belt. It doesn't have to be "sharp" to wear down the fabric. My husband has this too on his favorite old t-shirts. Sit down in the shirt with your belt on you'll see when it wrinkles up it is hitting dead-on. Now, think, you strap your seatbelt across it when you drive, whenever you bend over, that's where the material is being worn down. Most likely scenario. That's what it was for my husband. Also google the issue you'll find you're not alone and that many have discovered odd reasons for tiny holes in their shirts--everything from granite countertops to tiny buttons on their car seatbelts.

seat belt was my thought too. take wash cloth and fold it iver your seatbelt and sew or pin it or something like thoue things to keep baby's faces from rubbibg on the seatbelt.

I also think it's your belt. This happened to my husband years ago. He also didn't have a "sharp" belt, but it was rubbing holes into his shirts anyway. A good way to see if it is your belt(s) is to stop wearing them for a little bit and see if the problem goes away.

This happens to me and the holes are the same size and place. Its so annoying but its not my seat belt and I don't wear a belt. Ever. I am almost positive mines from my fingernails! When I pull my shirt down when it rides up I of course pull it down and I think my nails catch it sometimes. My mom says it is also from the washer and washing my jeans in with the shirts and the super catching while in.

I have had a few small holes in my shirts and finally realized it was from my jacket. When I was zipping up my jacket I would get a tiny piece of my shirt caught in it.

Moths are most likely eating the holes in your clothes.
Try getting moth balls from the local drugstore.
One lady I knew hung this huge weird looking cedar block.

I wear tight tank tank under just about everything, and after wearing/washing, I get holes in the same spot from constantly pulling my shirt down.

That's the only thing I can think of!

tide will also do this, along with other detergents.

My bet is it is your belt...in conjunction with other things you bump up against is causing the holes...happens to me all the time.

Moths? They LOVE to eat clothing. Try putting some cedar blocks in your closet and see if that helps.

I have the same problem! Also only occurs at waist-level of shirts. I havea wondered if it wasis my washingmom machine being too rough. I think it is just thinner material of the shirt and how I am always pulling the shirts down. Could be seatbelt too, now that people mention it. Very frustrating though!

You may have moths or moth larvae in your home. Buy moth balls and see if that helps. You could also buy space bag hangers to protect hanging clothes and space bags to protect sweaters and foldables.

This has been happening to me a lot over the last couple years, I just set aside 10 lovely tops, including one expensive special sweater ugh, that I simply can't wear anymore. Thanks for posting, I'm going to look into my seat belt too, because I don't wear an actual belt every day but I do wear my seat belt lots.

I get that too. I think it's from leaning against the sink and/or countertop when I do dishes (which I do a lot). Sometimes I wear a belt and sometimes not, but I think it's the rubbing of the fabric right on top of the square corner of my jeans, where the button is. Looks awfully silly when it's a dark-colored shirt and I have a light-colored tank under it!

Are they from Old Navy? I have about 5 t-shirts from old navy and they all got the same tiny little holes in the front of them. I have not hand any problems with any of my other shirts.

I get them in all my new shirts and I think it is just rubbing against the top of my pants and shirts are much thinner than they use to be.

I agree that it's probably your belt and seat belt. I had several pants that were getting a worn spot on the same place on just the left thigh and it took a while to figure out that it was from my steering wheel grazing that part of my leg. Crazy, right?

im so glad someone else is having this problem! i have had the same thing happen i noticed it after the clothes come out of the washer im guessing that something in my washer is causing this problem. good luck!

If they're organic materials, could be carpet beetles. They eat everything and only leave teeny tiny holes. most likely wouldn't be the same exact place on all of your shirts though, unless maybe your shirts hang from a bottom rack in the closet? If that were the case they would only eat organic materials (ie cotton but NOT spandex or nylon), leaving synthetic fibers alone (check mixed blends and synthetic clothing - if they also have the same holes this is NOT the answer). These are TINY beetles the size of a pinhead maybe. They would be in your home for MONTHS before you caught sight of one. I think the rubbing on a belt buckle is a probable cause as well. good luck!

STRANGE HOLES IN MY CLOTHING
I think I know the answer after my experience yesterday. This has been happening to a lot of fabrics lately. Yesterday, I went to Chico's and purchased a beautiful sweater. I put it on at 5:30 pm with jeans, rode to the airport, picked up friends, went out to dinner and was home by 9:00pm. I took the sweater off at 10:00 pm and found a hole, at the waist, where the band on the jeans meets the fabric. Our fabrics are CHEAP now. They are coming out of China, India, Pakistan and other countries. There was no REASON this should have happened. I have one favorite piece of clothing I can no longer wear with several of those holes in it from my movement. The clothing with these holes has all been purchased within the last year! Needless to say THAT IS A CHEAP FABRIC and this sweater is going back to Chico's with that message today. This has happened to too many pieces of clothing and it's time to complain. You don't have moths, it's not your countertop or your belt's fault. We are not getting what we pay for anymore and as consumers we need to start saying something.