In Memory of...Ideas

I am looking for ideas to honor or do a memory of gift for a parent who has lost a child. I have heard of planting a tree in honor of. Do you have any ideas?

When one of my children died, I was given a bell inscribed with "In loving memory" and her name - it still reminds me of my angel.

You could always make a donation in the child's name to a related charity, and either frame something about the donation or have a plaque made regarding the charity. When my grandmother passed, everyone in my family joined together and purchased wheelchairs for Iraqis in need. When a family friend passed due to cancer, we made a donation to the Susan G. Komen foundation.

What a thoughtful idea. Any gift you decide on will surely be loved and appreciated by the parent. Here are a couple suggestions for something I would like to receive if I were in that position...

There are websites where you can have the child's name crocheted into a doily and then take it somewhere to have it framed. If you have a photo of the child you could have it framed together with the doily. Here are a few links: http://www.crochetdoilies.com/ http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23088171
http://keepsakecreations.netfirms.com/Crochet_Names/croch... http://www.goldenrodgallery.com/crochetnames.html

Have a counted cross-stitch portrait made of the child. Again, you'll need to have a photo of the child. I have a computer program that transfers pictures into patterns with very lifelike results. I am currently making a picture of my son-in-laws hunting dog for him for Christmas and it's very true to color. I'm sure there are people available who would cross-stitch the picture for you. I googled it and couldn't find any with a popular link, but it's well worth the time it takes to find someone. If you would like to tackle the project yourself I am available to make a pattern for you. It also includes a color chart. I must warn you though that it would be a tough project for a first timer. If you work on it full-time you could have it done in about 3-4 weeks. Part-time would take you anywhere from 3-6 months.

I hope you find what you are looking for...and I hope my suggestion are useful. Good luck.

W. Q

the girl i work for loast 2 children in an 18 mths span.
scholarships are great and i know people did the tree thing and some did name a star. but the one she loved the most was the scholarship her children were 14 and 18 when they died.

My friends lost their daughter in a tragic car accident. On the 1 year annivesary of her death, they held a memorial celebration of her life at the cemetery and released balloons. We also had a memory book, and each person was encouraged to write down a memory of her and her dad shared some of the funnier ones before the balloon release. I'm so sorry for your friends and for you--I know how hard it is when you just don't know what to say or what to do to help them.

I have heard of people letting balloons go on the child/adults birthday every year.
Have everyone let go balloons like the time that person was born, or just the day.
So say the child would have been 3 tomorrow
Have everyone let go 3 ballooons and have everyone that does it take a picture and keep a album from every year with all the pictures

How old was the child? Planting a tree, making some sort of plaque, taking a photo and adding a poem, just the idea of lighting a candle for the child, also if the child was an infant there is www.october15th.org i believe its org if not .com, they have all kinds of items, I have a ribbon on my car from the october website also I have a In Memory Decal on the back window of my car, in memory of my son who passed away when he was 4 months and 2 days old due to a bassinet collasping at a home daycare.

Depending on the age of the child, if you know the school situation and the child enjoyed reading it might be something the mother would appreciate if you donated specific books or just books in general in the child's memory to a local library or the school library the family would use. Along the same lines, if the child was a pet lover a donation to the local animal shelter or some project the animal shelter needs someone to do would be a kindness. The only other idea I have has been done in our church where several different times something has been given to the the church or some work done such as refurbishing the nursery, etc. in memory of the deceased family member. God bless you for your kindness and the family that is grieveing. You are truly a kind person to do this. Oh, the tree idea is wonderful and has been done in this area also, maybe even a bloomimg plant in the yard depending on the mother's preference.

I don't know if you are religious but my husband is a Gideon and they place bibles in the hotels, etc. You can purchase a bible in memory of someone for any amount you wish from $5. up. They will send a card to the family on your behalf. We are baptist belief. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 / 3