Immunizations - Sacramento,CA

So, my son got his first round of immunizations on Wednesday. That night, he hardly slept. He woke up every hour to two hours and refused to sleep in his bed. He would just cry and cry every time I put him in there. Yesterday, he was fussy all day and was spitting up a lot. And, last night was exactly the same as it was Wednesday night. Now today, he has had diarrhea (for the first time) and is still spitting up after every feeding. He is constantly fussy, unless he is being held. Is this a normal reaction?

he was 3 months old on march 4

I did call the doctor, who is a close family friend, and let him know what was going on. He said that the sleeplessness and spitting up were normal. The diarrhea he said could be from a few different things (such as a bug, or because we switched his formula). The doctor made a house call and checked him out and said he was ok, but if things changed to come into his office on Monday morning. Last night my son, out of no where, stopped fussing, stopped spitting up, and slept through the night again in his own bed!

Yes that is normal. Give him Tylenol, the appropriate dose for his weight, it is a wonder drug and usually makes most kids all better...they may sleep a little more from the relief. Did he get the Rotovirus vaccine? If he did, you may want to touch base with his pediatrician, there have been serious side-effects and gastrointestinal complications associated with that one... If he didn't get it, I'd have to agree with the previous answer: he unintentionally pick that up from the doctor's office, those offices are very commonly full of nasty bugs!

Worth a phone call to your doctor; they get paid a fortune for a reason. They deserve to deal with phone calls from patients. ;) However here's my reaction:

Everything sounds pretty normal except the diarrhea which I would really think probably has nothing to do with the immunizations but would be some sickness he might've picked up at the doctor's office.

As for the sleeplessness, yes that's casebook normal after immunizations. Fussiness same thing. Spitting up is a result of fussiness because they're crying/screaming so their tummies are gettin a workout and that makes a baby spit up.

In general I'd say call your doctor but it's not worth worrying about. My son FLIPPED OUT after his first immunizations. Same thing you're describing but in place of the diarhea was a low fever (common, i found out, after immunizations at the beginning). I was worried, angry... why oh why did I get those stupid immunizations? I did find a few things that helped out later on (now that I'm a seasoned expert and he's 17 wopping months old haha)

1) After immunizations take baby home for a warm bath to relax his muscles.

2) Don't plan anything else for that day and possibly the next; no friends coming over or anything (or just one but not like... a bunch-- over-stimulating). The baby needs to chill out not get stressed.

3) The baby will be a little sore and is also trying to fight the medicine in the immunizations (which is the point so it's good-- they're doing their job), so the baby will be a little fussy and tired, and when babies feel like that they're clingy. So I've learned to prepare myself for that and expect the clinginess and co-sleep and carry him around all day on my chest after immunizations. Lots of comfort nursing. (I'm writing this in present tense but my son hasn't experienced the symptoms you're describing for many months-- it gets better-- the first one is the worst. Last time my son experienced no misery at all.)

4) Don't get excessive immunizations. Get the necessary ones and wait for anything else till he's older. They start needing fewer immunizations after the first year so that's a good time to get the extra ones. My dr. wanted my son to get the chicken pox vaccine and the flu shot this year and I was like "Oh come on. You're already pumpin the kid full of medicine and now you want him to get 2 more shots that didn't even exist when I was a kid and I'm fine? Can't I wait a year? He's not even in daycare or anything!" and she said that was fine. That first year is brutal-- their tiny bodies are getting so many immunizations. I personally don't like the idea of adding more to them. What's a year? Get the "extras" the next year when they don't have as much to deal with.

Anyway, congrats on your kid, welcome to the world of motherhood and never knowing if you're "doing it right" and your kid is "normal." Did you realize when you gave birth that you were signing up for a lifetime of worry? lol well it's worth it, good times, good times. He'll be fine in another day or so. Just cuddle him and soothe him!

This is the norm, but it's not normal. It's called nervous sytem irritation. You really need to do more research on vaccines, so you are fully informed - and don't believe want your pediatrician says or what any anti-vaccine advocate has to say - do your own research and make your own decisions about what your child individually needs and how they react to each vaccine.

Dr. Robert S. Mendelsohn wrote these books, was and MD advocating for true informed consent. He used to inject his patients with high dosages of vitamin C before vaccines, as he found the vaccines can plunge the vitamin C levels into fatal ranges and he thought that was the cause of the reactions. Many of my friends give their kids liquid vitamin C for days before the vaccine and then for a week after and they found that it has helped their child with any reaction.

Here are 2 of the books he wrote and FULL of good info:

How To Raise a Healthy Child In Spite of Your Doctor
ISBN 0-8092-4995-2

Confessions of a Medical Heretic
ISBN 0-8092-7726-3

Here is a list of "normal reactions" and ones that should call your attention.

http://www.seattlechildrens.org/medical-conditions/sympto...

If he has reaction enough to warrant you to call your doctor and you find it beyond the norm, you may consider reporting it, since your doctor most likely will not.

http://vaers.hhs.gov/index

Good luck sweetie.

If you really dig into the CDC web page on vaccines, you will find there are 10,000-12,000 REPORTED vaccine adverse events per year. These are moderate to severe reactions, and again only those reported.
Here are a few other sources of free information where you can get info from "the other side" - as I don't think an "objective" opinion exists!
www.thinktwice.com
www.909shot.com
www.vaccineinfo.net
Happy reading! And always remember: it's YOUR baby and YOUR decision. There are other ways to build a child's immune system that don't include toxins and live viruses injected directly into their bloodstream. We are just dreadfully uninformed as to what they are.
A.
www.my3doulas.com

agree totally with Jennifer. I am so sorry you and your son are going through this. I don't immunize because I have done tons of research and made an informed decision not to. Mercola.com is another great site for vaccine information.
I would call the doctor anyway- this needs to be noted even if there is nothing they can do about it now. Be careful with Tylenol- it can be dangerous. Mercola has info on that too.

Did you give him tylenol every 4-6hrs or so for the next 24hrs? That can help eliminate most side effects from vaccines.

Also did your son get the oral vaccine for rotavirus? The vaccine is to prevent kids from getting diarrhea and deyhydration, but it actually gave it to our daughter....apparently this is a common effect with kids. The excess diarrhea caused her to get a UTI, and she ended up in the hospital for a couple days, as a result.

I hope your little guy is doing better, and I would certainly call the doc to let him know you are concerned.

Hugs to you and your little guy.

You don't say how old he is but I am assuming he is two months old. My son went through this too for a couple of days after each immunization trip (and I split up the vaccines each time over a two week span so it lasted longer). I held him a lot more during this time and gave him Infant Tylenol before his shots. He went through this at the 4mo and 6 mo vaccinations. He just hit his year immunizations and that wasn't as bad. Just be sure to watch him for any unusual signs and call the doctor anyway now so they can assure you that he isn't going through anything abnorma. They give those poor little bodies alot in the those vaccines all at once so it might just be hard to deal with that's why I split his up. Again, I'd call the doctor just to be sure what to look out for.

If he is 4 weeks old, it is a growth spurt period and his fussiness probably has more to do with that then with the shots.

1 / 3