Immune System Diseases and Miscarriage

I found out last week that I was pregnant and we were very excited. I started bleeding Monday evening and a doctor's visit on Tuesday confirmed that I was no longer expecting. The same thing happened in December so both were very early miscarriages (4-5 weeks). Because no one in my or my husband's family has ever had a known miscarriage, the doctor ordered blood tests on diseases of the immune system, blooding clotting, hormones, etc. If a test comes back positive, it could mean my body is attacking the baby like a foreign invader, therefore ending the pregnancy. What is strange is that we weren't even trying to get pregnant with my two-year old daughter and that pregnancy/delivery was SO easy!! I now eat much better and exercise, which I never did before I had her. I'm just wondering if any of you other mamas have gone through this. I have researched some of the diseases online and some are treatable but some are not. We want a big family and are open to adoption but don't have $30k sitting around for a rainy day! I know God will take care of us but we are still hurting from losing two babies. Has anyone else faced this issue? Any advice or suggestions?
Thank you in advance!

All the blood tests came back normal, so that's good news but a little disappointing. The doctor said the next step would be going to a geneticist and having him/her look at my and my husband's genes to see if we're more prone to conceiving a child with Down's Syndrome, Turner's Syndrome, etc. However, she didn't think we needed to do this (at least yet) since we have a very healthy two-year old. She suggested we wait three cycles and then try again, so that's what we'll do. If it happens again, we'll have more extensive testing done.
I want to thank everyone who contributed helpful, positive, and encouraging responses. I felt a small community of suuport, which is what I really needed. Thank you!!

I have not had this, but my sister-in-law does. Her first baby girl was born 3 weeks after my oldest son. Then the next 3 pregnancies were miscarriages about week 11 -13.

I do not know what the condition is, since we live 1000's of miles from them and don't see them often.
But she injects heparin into her thigh every day to keep from clotting the baby's circulatory system.

It is painful toward the end when her legs are sore but it works and keeps her immune system from over-reacting. They now have 6 (yes, 6!) beautiful, healthy children from age 17 to an one year old. She had to see 3 ob/gyn's until she found the one who could help her.

Wait for the blood tests. It may be that your embryos are not geneticaly viable and they are dying from that. With pregnancy tests as sensitive as they are now, women know they are pg alot sooner than they used to so more women are "miscarrying". THere are lots of reasons and I would not stress about it.

Firstly, did the doctor take any blood tests to confirm that you were actually pregnant? Or, did he base his diagnosis on your confirmation of being pregnant? Maybe you were just having a heavy late period. The reason I am asking is that this happened to me. In the end it turned out not to be anything but stress....4-5 weeks is VERY early, even to self diagnose. I was told by my doctor once that all of us spontaneously miscarry in the 2-5 week time span, without even realizing it. It's very common. It's just the body's way of making sure that the most viable potential candidates implant and grow. Since you have been pregnant before, without ANY problems, I would just relax about it. Have the blood tests for piece of mind, but if I were you, I would not worry, and enjoy your little one.

L.,

I am sorry for your loss. It is difficult to lose a child no matter how old that child is regardless of loss during gestation. I, too have suffered the same. The good thing is you're able to conceive on your own. I have immunity issues as well and I have been able to deliver 3 healthy babies (1 set of twins) by undergoing several treatments dudring pregnancy: IVIG, heparin, baby asprin, and steroids. I also have conception issues so I had to do some hormone treatments as well. If your tests do come back positive, this is something that is easily treated. I would strongly recommend seeing a qualified physician if, in deed, you do have auto immune issues.

I had low progestorone and miscarried. When I found out I was preg again I had to insert a suppository to sustain pregnancy for the first few weeks. It worked!!! Then I was preg again and the same thing but I believe it was in pill form. Worked again. The older we get the hormones change. My first two I had in my early twenties and the last two my late 30s.

I have had three friends with multiple miscarriages and these types of problems. Look into Austin Fertility Solution http://austinfertilitysolution.com/
They have had wonderful success at natural approaches to fertility problems. Best of luck and take care.

I had a successful and easy pregnancy with my daughter. When I became pregnant the second time I had a miscarriage. It was a long month of doctors appointments to see if I truly did miscarry. Anyways I am now pregnant again and all looks well so far and I'm 10 weeks. You have had one successful pregnancy so you can do it again! You just have to keep trying. I also have a friend who has 2 kids and just went through two miscarriages back to back while trying for a third. Her first pregnancies were easy so this was really upsetting to her. She went through all tests and the doctors found nothing wrong with her hormones or anything. Now she is successfully pregnant with her third child. All I can say is who knows why it happens, but it does and keep trying because you did it once you KNOW you can do it again. I know it's hard, I thought it would never happen to me, but it did. Don't give up just yet. And don't assume something is wrong because you know you are capable of delivering a healthy baby.

Do you have a different RH factor( - vs + ) from your husband? If so, you should have received a shot after each miscarriage to remove this possibility from the equation. If there is a problem with RH factor and you don't get the shot, your body WILL attack the fetus if it has an RH factor opposite of yours because it sees the fetus as a danger.

1 / 3