I'm Swollen Especially My Feet and Ankles

I have noticed that my feet and ankles have been very swollen lately. I then noticed that my whole body looks swollen. I went to a new doctor and told him about this and he said it was fine and just make sure I stay away from salt. Well, I do stay away from salt and it is still happening. I don't know what to do. I can feel how swollen I am and sometimes it hurts in my feet and ankles and they are so shiney because of being swollen. Could coffee make you swollen? Does anyone have any suggestions or anything to tell me why this is happening and how to stop it????? This is really bothering me. Thank you.

Well, the test results came back and everything is normal. Now, I don't know what is wrong with me. The swelling started to go down last week after the doctor gave me water pills and I am still taking them, but I'm swelling up again. I'm going to go to the doctor this week and see what he thinks. I'll keep you all informed on what happens. Thanks to all!! L.

When it's hot, I get swollen. Drinking water helps but you have to do it all the time, not after you notice swelling at the end of the day or something like that.

I would go to a different doctor. I have heard it can be a sign of liver or kidney problems. Good luck! J. (Mom of 3)

I am extremely concerned with the Dr's lack of response to that! When this happened to my dad, he was diagnosed with Cirrhosis. Granted, he was an alcoholic, but the swelling was called Edema. It is a build-up of fluid in your body(I think between the skin and organs.) It has also happened to my mom, which turned out to also be Edema caused from cancer in the liver and breasts. She has ALWAYS been the perfect picture of health. Never drank, never smoked, ate a perfect diet, and the Dr's overlooked hers until the cancer had spread. She was blown off for months or longer as only having a cold or allergies(the edema was affecting her breathing.) The cancer started in her breasts and had already progressed to her liver and spine before it was caught. She now undergoes these horrible treatments, and I cant' help but wonder if someone would have taken a little more time to find out what was going on to begin with if she would stand more of a chance. Please don't accept no for an answer. Get any Dr to listen!

How was your blood pressure. Sometimes swelling in the ankles and feet is a sign of elevated BP. Definitely get a second opinion. It's not normal and although staying away from salt is a good suggestion, I think it needed to be looked into a little more. Good luck!

I'd skip the over the counter water pill and check with the doctor again. You don't want to mask the symptoms before finding out the cause. Tell him you've stayed away from salt and you are still swelling. Edema can be caused by too many things to list - some innocent and some not so innocent. If the dr blows you off again, think about a second opinion.

The first question I would ask is "are you drinking enough water?" If you're not, your body will store and retain it thus making you swollen. So, make sure you are getting enough. You should probably try to drink twice what you think you should to make sure that you are getting enough. The next question I would ask is "are you exercising?" and if so, "how often." Walking is best as it helps w/ the circulation and elimination of waste. Doesn't have to be much but should be something each day. If you are still swollen after trying this for a week, then see a different Dr and start researching what others have said about organ function.

i'd see another dr. swelling is not normal, no matter what. means you are retaining fluids for some reason. did they check your blood pressure?

Perhaps this is a glandular problem. This could be serious. I suggest you contact your family doctor or find a specialist. Request testing.

Are you swelling and pregnant? This could be a sign of a more serious condition. Again, you would require some sort of testing. If the family doctor will not help you, find a different doctor. If you're in Fort Wayne, my family doctor is Andreanna Hodgini. She is great. The other doctors in her office are very good as well.

You might try finding an internist if this is a problem and the family doctor does not want to do anything. Internists queue into symptoms and are willing to look beyond the obvious.

I had problems with edema for years. The periods of edema seemed to be linked to my mirgraines, so my traditional doctor had me on a prescription diuretic. I ended up with a massive kidney stone tht required surgery to blast it into small pieces that took about three weeks to pass. Not fun! Diurtics can cause kidney stones, so be very careful witht them.

I have been seeing an M.D. who takes a naturopthic approach with her patients, and she has helped me tremendously. Her name is Sandra Pinkham if you are interested in talking to her. She will recommend an extremely healthy diet. I've been following her diet for four months now, and I feel better than I have in 15 years or more. I am now able to exercise daily because I am no longer limited by the pain of diagnosed fibro myalgia. I also take the supplements she recommended for me.

This is a basic anti-inflamatory/anti-allergy diet, and it really works. Since I've been on it, my body mass index has improved dramatically. I've lost the equivalent of over 30 lbs (22 actual lbs., but the fat/muscle trade off makes it more like 30 lbs in fat loss). My blood pressure has gone from 130/80 to 110/70. My only changes have been my diet and the supplements Dr. Pinkham recommended. Also, my migraines and fibro myalgia symptoms have all but disappeared completely!

I agree that you should steer clear of coffee and other caffeinated beverages, and all forms of pop. Avoid sugar as much as possible, and do the same with dairy products and wheat. Sugar, dairy, and wheat are all irritants of inflamation and allergies. It's basically a vegan style diet (avoiding all animal products), but you can eat meat in limited quantities if you don't want to give it up. I eat a lot of fish (4-5 servings a week), wild caught whenever possible.

For grain, oats are marvellous. I have two servings of either oatmeal or granola daily, with a little bit of honey (on the oatmeal). I use Trader Joe's Light Coconut Milk in place of cow's milk. I often add a little fressh fruit and organic grated coconut (available in the bulk foods section at Whole Foods).

This is a basic, healthy diet for anyone with any condition, so it's good advice for all of us to follow.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on what your doctor recommends and how you're doing.

1 / 3