I'm So Worried About My 22 Month Old

She was diagnosed with her third ear infection on thursday ( 3 days ago) her symptoms then were cranky, temp 101, runny nose and a loose cought she was started on amoxicillin because it had worked on the other 2 ear infections.

friday she had all the same symptoms but her cough sounded drier to me and more frequent. friday evening and thru the night I noticed
her breathing rate to be rapid 45 breaths/minute. she didn't look like she was in distress just a fast rate. it was hard to see the fast breathing when she was moving around and playing. it could only be seen when she was at rest.

i brought her back to ped on sat morning because of this and because her temp was 103. he changed her antibiotic to omnicef. he listened to her lungs and said he hears some congestion but nothing serious. however, she was crying in the examing room and very restless. i don't know how he could have heard anything. i am a nurse and i could not hear lung sounds if a patient is crying and moving around. oh, also, her oxygen level was good, 97%. so now it's sunday morning and she is still kind of asleep. she feels warm . she slept all night because he told me to give her zyrtec to dry her up .

i am just worried that she may have pneiumoneia. he told me the fast resp rate is from the congestion. can any of you tell me about your toddler having pneumonia ? any of your toddlers have a fast resp rate just from a cold???

s

I would take her back, and maybe look into getting the ear tubes. I so did not want to do it. But all the medications and ear infections I had to. I am so happy I did. No ear infections for over a month. :) No meds!

Well, I haven't seen this so often with toddlers, but I have often seen a fast resp. rate with infants who have a fever, and I've been told by my Dr. that they are "blowing the fever off".

Have you have her checked for acid reflux. My son's had ear infections every winter since he was born and they last ALL winter. I started doing some research and found these:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/35231-symptoms-gerd-yea...

http://heartburn.about.com/od/infantschildrenandreflux/a/...
Hope it helps...

If your Nurse's sense is telling you pneumonia - why not ask the Dr to order a chest xray? It's not hard to write and will out you in peace of mind to know for sure.

I'd take her in to the local childrens' emergency care for a chest x-ray - could be that she just needs a few nebulizer treatments. But you're obviously not satisfied with the diagnosis, and I don't blame you. I think it's good to be proactive and explore all angles to be sure the doctor didn't miss anything - the doctor is human and mistakes happen.

Updated

My son had pneumonia just before his first birthday.
We had to have him x-rayed to check for fluid in his lungs - he did.
He ended up on antibiotics and albuterol (we had to use a nebulizer - that was nerve wracking he'd cry so much when ever I had to put that mask on him but we had to do it).
Though he never got so bad that he had to be in the hospital in an oxygen tent.
There are SO many things that can go on with their ears, nose, throat and lungs and not be pneumonia. Allergies, bronchitis, croup, tonsils, adenoids, etc.
Try to relax as best you can and watch for / deal with symptoms as they come up. You'll both get through this.

I agree with the asthma answer

Fast breathing rates can be a result of fever, virus, bronchitis or pneumonia, or asthma/reactive airways. Even if your babe has a bacterial pneumonia, she is already on an antibiotic that would cover most causes of it. If the fast breathing appears to be labored or if you hear wheezing, you might want to see if they can give you an inhaler w/ spacer or a nebulizer to see if that will help with reactive airways. My son is only 16 months and I have used my albuterol with a spacer for him a couple times (don't get worked up...I'm a PA...I know what I'm doing). Please do not consider this medical advice and if your mom-tuition tells you to go back to see your peds...please do. Oh...and there are often times when I try to peek in ears or listen to lung sounds and can't hear or see a thing with my squirmy worked up kiddo (I worked with older kids and adults primarily)...but the peds can see or hear it. They spend all day every day evaluating crying/fussing/squirming kids and can get quite good at distinguishing the cries from lung sounds!

1 / 3