I'm So Hungry While Breastfeeding!

Hi ladies,

I'm breastfeeding my 4 month old son and am getting ready to go back to work so I'm pumping more to build up a supply in the freezer. I've been STARVING the last few days, especially after our 3am feeding. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm not restricting my calories - trying to eat right, though - so I'm not sure why I'm so hungry. I haven't been eating any differently.

Thanks

Thanks so much for your responses, ladies. I had a major "d'oh" moment when I read your replies. I'd forgotten how hungry I was right after the baby was born and I was first starting to breastfeed. I just didn't think that a few extra ounces a day (pumped) would make that big of a difference! I'm paying more attention to healthy snacks and have added a box of granola bars to the cribside table for that 3am feeding! I'm taking a Nature Valley prenatal - and I've loved using since I started trying to conceive.

Oh yes, I was too. I ate so so much. The baby is taking from you so you need more to satisfy you both.

Nursing takes up an outrageously enormous amount of calories. You really do need to eat more (just make sure to eat healthy). Totally same experience as you, and I nursed for 15 months! I was always hungry, and if I didn't eat, I would get just really weak and irritable (so sorry hubby!). I lost 20 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight which I think most women would love to say, but I haven't weighed 100 lbs since I was in high school.

Hi E.,

Your little one is taking all your nutrition. You don't get hungry if you are getting the vitamins and minerals you need. ( I was ravenous with my first daughter to the point of once ordering two meals when I went out....) Are you still on your prenatal? You need to be. If you are, then it is not absorbing properly and you need to look into a different one. Some vitamins "show" the ingredients but if they are not absorbing what good does it do? I am on a vitamin that is guaranteed to absorb and I feel it. My husband lost 110 pounds on this vitamin because he was getting his nutrition and not having to seek out more food to find it.

If you don't go the vitamin route make sure you satisfy your hunger so you can make sure the baby is getting what he needs. If you'd like more info, let me know.

Hope I helped!

very normal - the extra pumping is sucking more calories out of you, so that's prob why you're more hungry. i remember eating like a hog the whole time i breastfed all three of my kids, but especially in the early days... i always kept a jar of peanut butter and a box of the graham cracker sticks next to my bed - it was easy one handed snacking with a good protein source & a carb(i dipped the crackers in the pb). if you're hungry, be sure to eat - you don't want to end up with a supply issue or end up running yourself down.

I was hungrier while breastfeeding than I was the entire time I was pregnant. You're making food for another human being, it's to be expected! :)
Congrats on breastfeeding!!!!

haha! After I had my son I felt like a starving dog! The day after he was born I ate 4 (yes, 4) full meals and snacks! The good news is it does slow down. Just your body's way of telling you it needs a little extra.

I would get awful hunger pains as soon as my milk let down every single time. It took me a few days to figure out what was going on because I was so tired and concerned with latch and stuff, but once I realized it was happening every single time, I started keeping cereal bars in the drawer next to where I nursed. Because there was seriously no way I could wait until he was done to get something to eat. Most people said that happened with being thirsty, but for me it was definitely hunger.

I'm experiencing the same thing right now. I have a really big baby (2month old weighing 17lbs) so I guess it's my body's way of telling me that we both need more nutrients. I'm also always thristy...ALWAYS. I've been eating and drinking so much I thought I was pregnant again!

1 / 3