I'm Not Producing Enough Milk

Hi Ladies...
So here is my problem... well my son was finally born on 10/2!!!! :) Unfortunately he wasnt able to latch on so they gave me a sheild to use while feeding.... I dont know how much he was getting, but 3rd day from giving birth I needed to do a CT Scan, therefore needed to stop breastfeeding him for 3-4days. By the time I was able to get a breast pump and start pumping it was over 24hrs and then I wasnt able to pump every 2hrs as recommended. Starting today I am able to start giving him my milk, but while pumping I was never able to pump out even 1 oz. Did my body stopp making milk? How am I oging to satisfy my child? I dont want to give him enfamil all the time. Please let me know if there are any ways to increase my supply.
Thanks a lot, and sorry for the long story.

Thanks ladies for all your thoughts... I'm going to go get the "mother's Milk Tea". I've nursed him twice today.. both times he worked so hard and ended up falling asleep and pulling out onhis own. Only to start crying cuz he was still hungry. That just broke my heart... so until I get enough on my own, i think i'm going to breastfeed him and then provide formula to keep him from starving. Hopefully i'll produce more soon. Well the good sign was, when he cried, a drop came out... Who would've though that would excite me :)

I have a 2 month old girl and I do not produce enough milk to exclusively breast feed. My friend told me to try Organic Mother's Milk. It is a herbal tea that you can by at GNC. It has helped me produce more milk for my baby girl. I still have to supplement with formula but my milk supply has steadily increased since I have started using it a week ago. The way things are going I may be on my way to exclusively breast feeding again.

Whether you delivered here or not, I would contact the Harris HEB Breastfeeding center. I have heard wonderful things about their support post delivery for anyone who needs help.... Maybe just give them a ring and see what they have to say...###-###-####... best wishes!

Just pump as much as you can, as often as you can and it will increase. I've heard of women stopping for months and then being able to produce again. You will be fine. Good luck

Here is something that worked for my supply. I used crazins instead of chocolate chips though and they were tasty! You can use the brewers yeast in stuff lioke your oatmeal and stuff too as that is the main ingredint.

Housepoet's Famous Lactation Boosting Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies:

* 1 cup butter or marg
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons water
* 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal*
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
* 1 cup or more chocolate chips
* 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous)

Directions:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

Preparation time: 15 minutes

*can be found at any local health food store.
*NOTE* IT MUST BE BREWERS YEAST, NO SUBSTITUTIONS.

I made these for a friend who's having supply issues and they were so flippin' good. You can feel yourself lactating as you nibble on them. If you don't like chocolate, who doesn't like chocolate tho, you can substitute for carob chips, raisins, butterscotch chips, whatever. (Reprinted with permission) - created by Noel Pickett

Here's a high-fiber muffin, and a plus is there is no sugar!

APPLESAUCE MUFFINS

Dry ingredients:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cocoa (or carob flour)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup chunky applesauce (I also have used smooth)
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup soy or cow's milk (I have used goat's, too)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg

Goodies:
3/4 cup coarsley chopped roasted walnuts
3/4 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 400 F. Measure and sift the dry ingredients into a bowl one at a time. Set aside. Whisk the wet ingredients together. Add the goodies to the wet ingredients, DO NOT OVERSTIR. Spoon the batter into well-greased muffin tins. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cook in baking tins for at least 10 minutes before removing. Enjoy!

I can't have wheat so I actually make these with 2 1/2 cups whole wheat spelt flour, if you're interested in doing so it turns out fine. I usually double this and doubled it makes 35, according to how big mine are, anyways.

Nursing the baby frequently (i.e., at least every 2 hours during the day and at least every 3 hours at nite) will increase your milk supply. The baby is far better at getting the milk out than the pump, although individuals have different experiences. I personally was never able to pump much at all as I did not have good letdown when pumping. You've had many things work against establishing a good milk supply, so it will take extra effort on your part. My first child was in ICU and they were having me pump and dump and I was not a good pumper. So, by the time we got home after 5 days in the hospital, I also did not have enough milk. It took me until he was 2 months old to totally get off the formula as the formula really works against you because it fills them up more, so they're not demanding to eat as often. What I would recommend would be to try to get him to nurse first and if he doesn't seem to be getting enough, let him have a little bit of formula to take the edge off the hunger and then nurse some more. They also make tubes that you can use so that he can get formula at the same time as nursing. It's the sucking action that will stimulate the production of milk. Most of the milk is produced during the feeding. I highly recommend you contact a local La Leche League group (www.lalecheleague.org) and here's the link to the groups in DFW area: http://www.lllusa.org/web/DallasTX.html
I personally found La Leche League to be the most useful overall (and there current website is awesome), but seeing a lactation consultant early on was somewhat helpful.

It will be hard, but it is absolutely worth the effort in terms of the longterm health of your child (and yourself).

keep pumping and breastfeeding. it will build back up. fenugreek and mothers milk tea are great but you have to take SO much of it. Milk Aid worked best for me. You only take 2-4 pills a day. Also, a full glass of water before pumping or breastfeeding helped. When I pumped, I would look at a picture of my baby and the milk would start gushing out.
Also,a can of beer(non alcoholic) a day is believed to help produce more breastmilk- a brand of beer with lots of yeast,that is.

Purchase the Mothers Tea and Fenugreek pills they both works wonders for me with my first child. You can buy therse at a health food store Vitamin World or GNC etc.
I am currently breastfeeding with my 3 week old. I feed her every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night even if she is asleep I wake her up and put her on the breasts. This helps my supply I really don't like to pump alot only if necessary when she is too full to take the other breast, but my supply has been steadily flowing. It is time consuming to feed so often, but well worth it all. I often drink the tea just to maintain my milk supply so that I can pump milk for storage so when I return to work. Please don't give up call a lactation consultant for support. Good luck it will get better for you and the baby !!

Hello JJ,

I had my baby on 10/2 also. I am going through the same thing, but don't worry. I spoke to a lactation consultant and they said it is normal to produce 1/2 ounce-2 ounces of milk with pumping off both breasts together. I started pumping when my milk came in last Saturday every three hours and I only can pump out just shy of an ounce each time. I am drinking plenty of water, etc. There are herbal supplements that you can take to increase your breast milk. If interested, let me know and I can give you the name of the lactation consultant and they can let you know over the phone how to get the supplement. FYI, I am supplementing with Enfamil too. I usually mix 1 ounce breast milk and 2 ounces of enfamil to meet my son's demand. You are not alone, I hope this helps and good luck. B.

I tried that Fenugreek supplement and while it helped a bit, I could not stand the smell that it gave you. You smelled like Maple Syrup...it was gross!

I talked with my OB and he prescribed me metoclopramide. It was used for people with irritable bowel problems and they found that women who took it started lactating even if they weren't new Mom's. My friend (who had never been pregnant or anything) woke up after taking it for her stomach to find that she was lactating...freaked her out i'm sure!

I didn't breastfeed my son until he was 3 months old. I had to supplement with formula and pump because I was not able to produce enough and he is not a big baby.

I am now BFing part time and formula feeding bottles because I went back to work and didn't want to deal with pumping at work (I work with all guys so it was a bit uncomfortable!)

Try Fenugreek, it's an all natural herb supplement you can get that helps boost your milk supply. I did it with my last child and it did help :)

JJ-

THe above advices are all the ones I tried and unfortunately they did not help me with producing any more milk which I was really bum. I finally at 7 weeks had to stop since we were supplimenting and he was still lossing wieght and it was just not worth it. Even though I truely wanted to breastfeed as long as a could. But before having to stop I would definately try all the other ladies suggestions it could not hurt. Good luck and let me know how it all goes.

1 / 3