I'm New to Michigan. What Is Considered the BEST Hospital to Deliver At?

I would like to know which hospital is considered the best to deliver at considering there are no complications with this pregnancy. I don't care about the cost.

I delivered both of my babies at St. Joseph Mercy in Ypsi/Ann Arbor. I have had excellent experiences. The new Labor & Delivery rooms are amazing...but the Mother-Baby units are still under construction...so the until that wing is complete, the rooms are pretty small for post delivery. Most of my friends have delivered there as well. I would recommend. Good luck!

I delivered my first and will be delivering my second in 6 weeks at Royal Oak Beaumont. All of their rooms are private for the maternity ward. I was really happy with the hospital.

I just had my daughter at Providence Park in Novi and they were awesome! They are a new facility and do not have alot of patients so you get alot more care and attention opposed to busier hospitals. The rooms are private and they are nice. I had my son at U of M and did not like it at all. They are to busy to tend to your needs. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.!

I delivered at Providence hospital in Southfield and loved the experience, it was exactly what I wanted. They have a regular labor and delivery unit and a natural birthing center, they are next to each other incase of any complications in the natural center, they can just wheel you straight into the regular unit.
So I would argue that Providence Southfield is the best because of the choice you are offered.
Wherever you choose I hope your birth experience is the one you want. Good luck ;)

I delivered our daughter naturally at Providence Hospital in Southfield with my doctor, Dr. Sharon Miller in February 2012. Dr. Miller has been my doctor for over 10 years, and she and the hospital made my natural birth bery smooth and comfortable. The nurses were wonderful also, and our daughter and I had our own private room for labor and delivery, and also recovery. I was given lots of assistance when needed and the staff respected my wishes for feeding and keeping our daughter with me at all timed unless for medical checks, and then brought her right back. Our family was pleased with the spacious rooms and security, and the wonderful food. I highly recommend Dr. Sharon Miller whose office is in Farmington Hills, MI and both Southfield and Novi hospitals where Dr. Miller has patient privilages for your birthing experience.

Updated

I delivered our daughter naturally at Providence Hospital in Southfield with my doctor, Dr. Sharon Miller in February 2012. Dr. Miller has been my doctor for over 10 years, and she and the hospital made my natural birth smooth and comfortable. The nurses were wonderful also, and our daughter and I had our ow private room for labor and delivery, and also recovery. I was given lots of assistance when needed and the staff respected my wishes for feeding and keeping our daughter with me at all timed unless for medical checks, and then brought her right back. Our family was pleased with the spacious rooms and security, and the wonderful food. I highly recommend Dr. Sharon Miller whose office is in Farmington Hills, MI and both Southfield and Novi hospitals where Dr. Miller has patient privilages for your birthing experience.

I don't know about the best hospital but stay away from Oakwood (that's where I delivered). I've known several people who delivered at Royal Oak Beaumont and they were really good and their rooms have all been updated and are private rooms. While advice from other people is good you still need to find a doctor you trust and tour the hospitals yourself to find one that you're comfortably with. Welcome to MI!

Good question. I had a hard time making the decision and I guess it depends on how far you are willing to drive and if you already have a specific doctor in mind (doctors only have privileges at certain hospitals). I selected Beaumont Royal Oak because they have a neo natal intensive care unit there. While my pregnancy was totally normal, it was reassuring to know that if there was something wrong with the baby, we wouldn't have to be moved to another hospital -they could get started helping the baby right away. That was the deciding factor for me. Plus, then I found an OB practice 2-minutes from my workplace that had privileges at Beaumont Royal Oak.

If you're interested in midwives, however, Beaumont Royal Oak doesn't allow them. But Beaumont Troy does have a group of midwives that have hospital privileges. Also, my experience with Beaumont is that they want to hook you up to the fetal monitoring and an IV immediately. You can get a cordless fetal monitor so that you can still walk around and they will also give you an exercise ball to use. However, they do not have bathtubs or jacuzzis in the labor room - just showers.

Lastly, husbands aren't allowed to pull the baby out. My husband really wanted to do that and I guess they used to allow it but not anymore. I believe that's a hospital policy, but am not entirely sure. Also hospital policy, no pictures or videotaping of labor. You can take pics once the baby is born, but not during the process.

Hope that helps!

You have the brand new one in Novi. St John's Providence.
Grand River & Beck. We have lots of great hospitals here in MI. There also is a new Henry Ford of West Bloomfield.

Good Luck with your delivery.

I'm not sure where you live, but I'm a childbirth educator at Beaumont hospitals, so we think we do a pretty good job delivering babies! S.

1 / 3