I'm Having Trouble with Decreased Milk Supply.

Hello Moms
I was breastfeeding and doing well until my milk supply just went belly up. I can't even get 1oz.I was pumping and feeding, but everytime I set down to breastfeed, I have to have a bottle as well. What can I do to increase my milk supply. My daughter will be 3 months old this weekend. My husband just think I should get over it, but this is something I strongly want to do for her. Is it too late to get my milk supply back up? She does latch on well and I try to breastfeed everyday or get what little I have everyday.Please help...

Moms I just want to say thanks for all the encouraging words, it really does help.I am now taking Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek. They were recommened by my lactation specialist. I am alos going to try to beer. I've never had a beer before, but at this point I will try anything.I just started with the herbs two days ago so I very excited to see some results soon.I am also letting her nurse as mush as possible.This part is the hardest with me working fulltime now.I have my pump with me at work now and trying to get some that way as well but I have not had much luck with that. I hope to be writting back soon with some good news.Thanks again MOMs

Honestly I don't know how to spell it but is a medication, you will need prescription for it, called "REGALINE" (thats how it sounds). I have to friends that used it and their milk production jumped immediately. I hope this works.

I second what everyone else has said. Also try to eat some oatmeal -- whole oats, the real thing, not instant. Perhaps make some homemade oatmeal cookies. But I have heard water, water, water, plus possibly dark beer, oatmeal, and the fenugreek all work wonders for some moms. Good luck -- don't give up yet!

First, congrats on making it this long. Three months is quite and achievement. I bf'd for a year and had many supply ups and downs. I know it is hard, but stop supplementing. BFing is all about supply vs. demand so if you supplement with a bottle you are sending a mixed signal to your body - you are telling your body that it is producing adequately. It is a nasty slope, you don't produce enough so you supplement - you are telling your body that it is producing enough if not too much so then your supply drops even more

A couple of things you can do.
1. Get ready for some long bf sessions. I went on an antibiotic for a cold that sank my supply drastically. For about 4 or 5 days after I fed for almost an hour each feeding session and after the 4th day my supply started getting back to normal.
2. Extra feeding sessions. Feed twice as often.
3. I work full time so I could not avoid pumping, so, I pumped for twice as long. Even if nothing is coming out, still pump for another 10 minutes or so. This is helping your body get the supply vs. demand signal that it is not producing enough.
4. Pump after each feeding - again, even if you don't get anything.
5. Herbal supplements - the combination of blessed thistle and fenugreek help increase supply but can make your little one a bit gassy. You can find these at any health food store or in "Mother's Milk" tea (do a google search). I have been told that they only work if you use the two together.
6. Finally, lots of water, lots of sleep and try to relax.

I have heard from others that its important to make sure you are eating and drinking enough water to keep you milk supply up. My info is based on a website www.babyfit.com They have a breastfeeding information area where they go into much more detail. You might check it out. Jess

OK so I have had the same trouble. The old faithful Lots of water. Have her nurse first every meal and then supplement. And some other things that really work: Fenugreek 3 caps 3 times a day, Brewers yeast 3 tabs 3 times a day and Reglan(RX) 10mg 3 times a day. I have a hormonal imbalance that is trying to dry me up. I am fighting the good fight with all three things above. I started having trouble at 3 months old and he is 8 months now. I started with the Fenugreek recommended by all the websites and doulas and lactation consultants --I had talked to 5 lactaion consultants by the time he was 5 months old!!! then at 7 months started the other 2 at the same time--so I really don't know which one is really helping. But it is working to the point some nights I have to get up and feed him because I am engorged and hurting!!! I began feeding and then pumping in between each feeding during the day. That helped for a while. The Fenugreek -if it is going to work for you, works pretty fast. I saw a difference within about 36 hours from starting it. All but the Reglan can be found at GNC or any health food store. I went to my OB and asked for the Reglan specifically and she complied without any problem. I felt really strongly about this as well and have not given up yet! Don't through in the towel --keep supplementing until you can regain your supply.

Feel free to email me with any other questions

I know Kellymom is a great resource and have also heard of fenugreek helping. But I wanted to ask -- have you been sick? Have you taken a decongestant? Sometimes those can "dry up" other things besides mucous. Best of luck.

When I nured my children I took Fenegrek, a herb used to increase milk supply. You can get it at a health food store. I bought it at GNC.
Also keep drinking water. It is easy to get dehydrared when nursing.
If I felt fatigued, I would drink more water and then I felt stronger and more awake.

Go to GNC and pick up some Mother's Milk. Start drinkning allot of water and try to feed even if it's fruitless. You'll start to notice an increase in a couple of days. I would do these steps until my milk supply was back in full swing. I went about a month without producing milk and got it back. Stay with it and don't let anyone sway you if this is what you want to do.

Find a local La Leche group & call them. They are really helpful.
Also, you are decreasing your milk supply by bottle feeding...you body will only produce what your baby needs! The female human body will produce exactly the amount needed for the suckling time the day before. In other words, if at 4pm on Tues youfed her for 30 mins, it will produce enough milk flow on Weds to last 30 mins. If you skipped a feed, it tells your body that milk was not needed and therefore dry up at that period. Try pumping in between feeds to get that supply back up and do not bottle feed your daughter in between...I know this is hard for a mother to do, especially if they even think for a second, that their baby is hungry, but nature designed it so that your baby sets the flow & she won't do that if she doesn't need it.

Also check ANY medications you might be taking, as some of these could decrease flow.

Don't give up and call a lactation nurse! Many will even come to your home to help you! Drink a glass of water everytime you sit down to nurse or a beer it really works. I once read a book, I cann't remember the name but it was written in the 70's, it said drink a beer even if it's 10AM it relaxes you and helps with milk production.
You can do it!

1 / 3