Ikea Cribs and Mini Cribs

Hi folks-
Has anyone used any of the Ikea cribs or the Mini Crib by DaVinci (or Million Dollar Baby)? We're looking for a small crib that is inexpensive, but I am concerned about quality. What I really want is the Stokke Sleepi but it's way out of my price range. Any thoughts?

We have an ikea crib and it is great. It will convert to a toddler bed when our little one is older and has two levels so the drop down side isn't a problem. Go for it!

Dear L.,

We have the Gulliver crib and we love it. We started with the Mini Co-sleeper and then moved our son to the Ikea crib and it has been great. I sometimes even climb in with my son in the mornings to play for a bit and it holds up pretty well (I am about 125lbs...). The only negative I can think of is if you are not tall enough to bend over the edge to pick up your baby when the mattress is at the lowest setting, it can be tough. I usually get him to stand up and then lift him.

I hope this helps,
A.

We purchases a relatively inexpensive crib for our first son that converted to a toddler bed - and I'm so glad that we didn't spend more money on a crib! He has been so hard on his bed. We don't have a playroom, so he spends the majority of his playtime in his room and just being a boy has taken its toll on the bed. I can't imagine if I'd spent a lot of money on one. I would be sick at the thought of him running his toys along the wood and banging on it. Maybe if you have a little girl, or the child only sleeps in his room and doesn't play there, it might be safer to buy an investment bed. I don't know anything specifically about the IKEA beds, but I definitely would look for a less expensive crib.

Hi, I have an Ikea crib for my 5 1/2 mo and so far it's been great. It doesn't have a drop down side. That would be my only caveat. My husband and I are tall enough that we don't mind reaching in, but if you're not, maybe that would be uncomfortable. Otherwise, it has been sturdy and went together well.
Or...Have you tried looking on Craigslist for the Stokke crib? Maybe some one is selling one second hand?

I got an Ikea crib as a hand-me-down for my first child. I think the original owners paid $99 for it... I was worried about taking a used crib because of all I had read.. but, I bought a new mattress and I really like the crib.. It has no bells and whistles, but my daughter at almost 2 is still sleeping in it with no problem. It seems safe and sturdy and what I like about it is that it does not take up much room.

I have two friends that have the Ikea crib and love it. It turns to a toddler bed and is only $99.00. WE had a very expensive crib for our first child and we and having our second in a few months and plan to buy the ikea crib for baby number two.

If you're going to put money into something, make it in the products they'll spend the most time in and you want to be SAFE: carseat, stroller, & crib. As long as it is safe, it doesn't matter where you buy it from. We bought our whole nursery from Kmart and our daughter is still sleeping in her crib and the products have been great. I don't know about the IKEA crib, but is it smaller than normal cribs? You want it to last as long as possible as the baby grows! (And I'm sure you've been told how fast that will go...) Have fun shopping!

1 / 3