If Your Child Did This....

hello!

We have a ton of sleepovers at our home....

if your child wet the bed (soaked it) at a friends house - would you buy a new mattress?
if they broke a lamp or something else would you replace it?

One of my GFs son's wet the bed (really bad - soaked it) and I feel funky that she's replacing the mattress...we have the $$$ for it but she insisted...I TYPICALLY have the waterproof pads/covers on - but I had taken it off for some reason!! URGH!!!

Our boys have broken toys at other friends house (including hers) and we've replaced it....isn't that typical?

No, my boys don't break things with malice - they are like me and could break a bowling ball!

The boy is 10 years old....he's TOTALLY embarrassed by this...it's happened before - but NEVER to this extent and I can't tell you why I took the waterproof mattress pad off...any way - she INSISTED...I didn't tell her to "guilt" her into it...this was the first time he had EVER wet the bed this bad (I'm serious - it SOAKED it through and was on the floor) - we had to throw the mattress out and we were planning on buying a new one ourselves....and I wanted to make sure he was OKAY...he comes over often enough that we have a package of pull ups for him here...her kids are like mine - I've known them since they were born and we do a lot of things together....

As to kids breaking stuff...my boys broke a controller for the Wii game - you know how it gets, he didn't have it strapped around his wrist and it flew off when he swung the "bat" - thank God he didn't hit the TV or anything more serious....while I know that stuff happens, things like that - I would and have replaced things...

Anywho - i feel funky still that she's replacing the mattress. I like the idea of taking her out to lunch or something while the kids are in school....thanks!

Tara - YES! We are replacing the mattress - it was SOAKED through! I am NOT going to "wrap it" and let it mold out...I'm not going to "hide" the smell either - it is sooo NOT sanitary!

The mattress is a tough call because, really, with young kids staying over you should have had a protector on it. but if she is insisting I guess I would let her cover half the cost.

I would replace the mattress AND add a waterproof mattress cover!
I would also replace the lamp.
Yes, it's typical.

If my son soaked someone's mattress, I think I'd feel compelled to replace it.

Toys, more circumstantial. If it was broken with malice, yes. If broken in the midst of group play, maybe not so much.

A lamp or something, I'd definitely offer.

First of all, I have a waterproof mattress pad on all of our beds. It is more than worth the $20-40!
Luckly my kids haven't broken/ruined anything except at home and no one had broken/ruined anything significant here. I can't predict how I will handle it when it happens. I think it's very circumstantial.

Gosh the mattress thing is a tough call. They should have kids mattresses covered to start with. We all should just to keep dust mites off, but with kids you need to protect it from those occasional wet nights. But maybe offer to take half the cost of a new one, after all the mattress probably wasnt brand new so why should you get a new one when in all reality, your kid probably peed in it before. (just guessing)
As for breaking the toys, I say thats the way it goes unless he was slamming it to the ground over and over on purpose being nasty and the mom saw and tried to stop him. I figure if kids are at my house its my responsibility to keep an eye on them so they dont hurt themselves or my things. If I dont watch them well enouh then its my problem.
My son was about 12 when he was at a friends house tossing a ball and batting it out into the yard. They were pitching to eachother right in front of the big living room window. (where was the other mom?) My son hit the ball everytime but when the other kid took his turn, my son pitched to him, and the kid missed the ball, and the ball broke the window. They called all upset and in a panic to let us know they had already called an emergency 24 hour repair place to come right then and replace the window. I pictured a huge gaping hole with glass all over the room. They wanted our insurance info or cash up front! We just couldnt afford what they were pretty sure it would cost and we gave insurance stuff to them. We went over to get our son and saw the window. It had a tiny crack in one bottom corner and had only damaged the one pane of a dual pane window! They were all worked up over the cold air that might get in and the way it made their house look like the ghetto and how out of control our son must have been! Geesh talk about out of control drama! Our insurance ended up covering a brand new window for them including the emergency call fee,and we had to pay the $500 deductible. We did tell our son he should say he was sorry and his comment was, "Sorry the window got broke, but if your kid could hit the ball it wouldnt have happend". We just smiled and wallked away.

I would also replace the lamp.
Yes, it's typical.

Wow! What a great friend to understand that her son damaged property and that it needed to be replace. A bed is elemental, it is a place where someone sleeps. As a mom, I wouldn't want anyone's kid to have to sleep on a bed my kid had soaked in pee. I'd likely do the same thing (replace the damaged property). Maybe you could do a 'best friend treat' with the money you saved and go do something fun you two enjoy. You don't have to tell her it was a "thanks", but just to show your appreciation for her being such a good friend to you.

I think it's a little overkill to replace a whole mattress b/c of one pee-pee, but maybe it is super gross and ruined. If it's ruined, let her do it if she's being really nice about it. I'd probably try to do something really nice in return, to show her how much you appreciated it. Maybe take her out for a really good lunch.

I'm not sure what I'd do.

We have little cousins who visit, they're potty trained but still have the occasional accident, I've had my rug and couch peed on before. I've always just grabbed the steam cleaner and cleaned it. I've never expected them to replace anything and they've never offered. I mean, it's going to happen from time to time, I assume if my kids do it at their house it'll be handled the same way. I kind of feel that you should have had the waterproof cover on the mattress in the first place. She obviously really feels bad about it and it's nice that she's replacing it.

1 / 3