If You Could Take Your Kids Anywhere...

Where would you take them? I have places I want to go, like the Dominican Republic, Italy, England, etc...but where would you take your kids? I'm not sold on anything yet, and the budget isn't set yet either.

I've looked into the Disney cruise, and that is a high contender, but I haven't booked yet.

Thoughts?

Everywhere!!

Lets see:

Ireland
Scottland
France
Itally
Greece
Egypt
Hawaii
Japan
Brazil
Bora Bora
England
Spain
Germany

If I had an unlimited budget, I would show my kids the world.

If I choose anything it would be a cruise through the Panama Canal. My boys like engineering stuff.

We did a dream trip a couple of years ago. We went to southern Germany, Normandy and Paris.
Next on my list would be Australia.

Rachel:

I would love to take a cruise around the world. Yeah - need to win the lottery to do that - so if this is a "dream"....here goes....

I would love to start out from Baltimore, head to Greenland then to Iceland, then down to the U.K., then over to France (go to Normandy, etc.) then down to Spain and Portugal - get into the Mediterranean and see Italy, Northern Africa, Greece, Turkey, then through the Suez Canal - hitting Jordan and Saudi Arabia, down to India then to Australia and New Zealand, then track back to South America.

Since I don't play the lottery - this is my dream - I'm sure I can get them to these countries one day....

So in the short term? We want to take them to Europe - they love history and World War II so we have been to battlefields there - and would love to show them Normandy, Omaha Beach, etc. And Germany where we met...take the train all around Europe. That's the plan for 2013.

Everywhere!!

Lets see:

Ireland
Scottland
France
Itally
Greece
Egypt
Hawaii
Japan
Brazil
Bora Bora
England
Spain
Germany

Europe, especially Greece. My 9th grader is going to France next year with band and I'm hoping the rest of us can "tag along," while still giving him his space. They've been to CA, FL, SC, HI, the Virgin Islands and Mexico and we are going to The Bahamas for spring break. My 9th grader would like to go to Central or South America because he studies spanish. My kids are older (12, 15) so traveling with them has gotten much easier.

Oh, so easy to answer... I'd throw all the camping gear in the van and head west (we live near Boston). The UP of Michigan, Niagara Falls, the Mississippi River, the Corn Palace. There is this state park in Utah called Kodachrome, so beautiful. The top of the Arch in St Louis, playing in the snow in Glacier National Park, lost in the Sapphires in Montana, Pioneer Village in Nebraska, play ball on the Field of Dreams. I could go on and on but I am sure you get the idea.

The timing of this questions is really strange for me. It's all my familiy has been talking about recently! We just watched Midnight in Paris (GREAT movie BTW) and dreaming of going to Europe.
Both my girls 9 and 13 have wanted to go to France for a while and since they've both been taking Spanish since Kinder I think a France/Spain combo trip would be awesome.
It'll take some planning and some saving but a trip like that is so much more than a vacation. We're hoping to do it in the next couple of years and in the meantime a Southern Utah/Grand Canyon trip is in the works.

We took a Disney cruise, and can't wait to do it again! :) We also love Disney World, so we combined that with our cruise.

Hawaii is a great place to take kids, and not too expensive for those of us on the west coast.

If I was just going on my fantasy location, with no regard to money, I'd go to Egypt, then on a safari in Africa. Places like Petra, Pompeii, Greece and most places in Europe are close seconds.

Me too! I want to take my son everywhere. He's already been to Peru and we are going to Orlando, Florida this summer using our timeshare and that helps with the budget. I would like to go next year to Washington D.C. then after that we plan on doing one country per summer trip. We belong to a timeshare and we figure why not try using it for abroad trips and see where life takes us. We also recently saw Midnight in Paris and let me tell you we got the bug to go to France so bad! I think every place the ladies listed in your thread I want to go see. LOL.

With a preschooler I would probably pick Hawaii. You have the resort/beach thing combined with really interesting natural side and indigenous flora and fauna you can learn about.

When DD gets older (at least 8 or so) we would love to go to New Zealand, Iceland or South America (Chile, Argentina, Peru...maybe Brazil, depending on the security situation) and do more of a trekking type of vacation: exploring natural and cultural sites.

1 / 3