Ideas to Make Money for a SAHM

I am not only a parent, i also go to college full time. I am looking to make extra money so that i can hopefully give up my part time serving job. I thought about making Home-Made Bread. I have a mill, wheat etc. I figured i would charge $5.00 per loaf.
Do you have any ideas of how i can go about selling it. I would like to sell around 50-100 loafs a week.
Or any other ideas of what i can do, that would allows flexability? Thank you

lots of safety/health requirements for a project such as this. Be sure to get the proper permits. :)

fresh bread at our local farmers' markets sell for much less. Usually about $3 for white/wheat, & $4 for specialty loaves.

typically each vendor has about 10 loaves each Saturday. & often sell out, but not always.

How do you plan on selling your product? & honestly, in the time it takes to make that much bread....dang! You could get a whole lot of other stuff done!

Other ideas...since you're attending college, are there any jobs available on campus - in btwn your classes? Tutoring positions, etc?

At $5 a loaf of bread, you'd be looking at grossing $250 to $500 a week if you could sell 50 to 100 loaves. Subtract out your materials and you're looking maybe $150 to $300 a week. How many hours would you need to work to turn out this many loaves of bread, market them, sell them, and deliver them? I would guess at least 30. 10 for baking and packaging. 5 for marketing. 5 for a midweek farmers market. 5 for a weekend farmers market. 5 to deliver to local grocery stores (if you can get any). That's only $5 to $10 an hour.

If you do the math, I think you can earn more money working elsewhere... especially since $5 for a loaf of bread is pretty high.

Go to the search engine on here and search this question. It is asked all the time.

Bottom line, if everyone could make money by staying home and raising a family to do it, they would.

Work is Work. You'll be hit up by all the MLM direct sales people on here to sign you up to sell and recruit for them. Just read the fine print, many are very tricky.

As for selling LOAVES of bread, you may need to check with your local health department. Things like this are regulated and you have to use a specific type of kitchen, etc that meets FDA and government guidelines. After you check out the guidelines and make sure you meet them, you might be able to sell your loaves of bread at craft fairs, festivals, etc with the proper permits. You also might want toadjust your pricing and get a better price point. I would not pay $5 for a loaf of homemade bread from someone I don't know.

In the meantime, think outside the box... babysit, tutor,

As many have mentioned $5.00 for a loaf of bread is expensive but some people will pay that for exotic breads or for gluten (wheat) free breads.

What you should consider is who will be your customer base? Where will your customers come from? What are their needs? How will you connect with your customers?

My grandmother was a great cook and she would bake cakes and pies or sell entire dinners for extra money. I have a cousin that sells breads, rolls, and cakes for the holidays. You place the order and she cooks it up. One of my neices paints jeans with interersting one of kind designs. She charges to paint on the jeans. She also paints shirts and braids hair for extra cash.

It is great that you want to bake bread but I would find a market for my product or create a market for my product before just baking X amount of loafs and having no buyer to buy your breads.

It's extremely difficult to find a market for this sort of thing - it takes at least as many hours as the actual baking, for not much return. You not only have to be doing all the shopping, baking and packaging, you need to be at farmers markets or church fairs - that's a lot of time, plus the money you pay out to rent a table, etc. And if there are 2 fairs on one day, you can only be at one.

There are health department regulations about everything, including certifications proving you know what you are doing in terms of safety, but also things in some states about the number of sinks you need to have in the kitchen (one for handwashing, one for dishes, one for rinsing, etc.).

I don't want to discourage you, but I think you might do something else from home. The idea of a consumable product (bread) is good - if people love it, they may buy on a regular basis. But is it an essential product that they will buy in a rough economy? The farmers markets will end soon as the weather gets cooler and the growing season ends, and while there will be a lot of fairs in October, November and December, what will you do for money in January? A lot of work from home businesses are really seasonal (toys, books, jewelry, baskets, etc.) and there's no regular income. If you are a parent, you need regular income for your time.

Unless you have a built-in buyer for your breads who will distribute and sell for you, you may have a limited market.

You aren't going to make money selling bread. People who do this "from home" typically have done pretty substantial market research and have agreements with local grocery stores and specialty markets. They also have disposable cash to pay for the start-up costs and to sustain the side business until it takes hold. To make this work, you would to do this IN ADDITION to your serving job. Probably not realistic.

You are looking to make $250-$500 per week to replace the money you are making as a server... working from home with flexibility...
- Laundry service (if you have a washer and dryer)
- Personal Assistant (run errands, grocery shop, tidy the house, fix meals, occassional childcare, etc)
- Childcare

I would not buy bread for $5 a loaf. our local farmers market here usually sells it for $4.00 and that's even steep.

I personally would not choose this route. I would bake cakes and desserts and sell those.

Either way, check your state laws on baking and sells baked goods from your home. You might need to rent a health department approved kitchen to bake from.

i believe my aunt sells her bread for 4 each and thats organic and all sorts of yummy stuff mixed in (flax, wheat, honey or her jalepeno bread) at different farmers markets or market days. you make more if you sell deserts or other baked goods as well.

Our local sheriffs dept (hubbys employment) has people who sell plates. they order bbq plates or enchalada plates and independents bring them the next day. there are some wifes who sell cakes or deserts durring the holidays. one woman sells her buttermilk cake for 40 each and she sells a lot of them. another wife sold us a pumpkin roll (cake with cream rolled up ) at thanksgiving it was such a hit with the family they requested another one for christmas i believe she made them for about 12 or 15 each served about 12 i would guess? slightly different but so so good. think about making things with a twist like idk just making it up stuffing bread or stuffing muffins. like thanksgiving stuffing. ppl like things that are slightly different with out going too far out of comfort. how can you make your bread extra special from the vendor sitting next to you...twist it, make it in a bunny loaf, or the shape of a bear. something that makes you stand out...not just for flavor.

1 / 3