Ideas on a Place to Donate Used Toys?

I have a loving thoughtful 5 year old boy who wants to donate some of his toys to kids who might need them. He says he wants to "give his toys to kids that don't have toys". I thought about taking them to Goodwill, but I don't want them to go to a "store". I would love for him to take the toys somewhere he could have a better understanding of "giving".....any ideas? Is there somewhere we could volunteer together? THANKs!

If you guys want to volunteer together..I am a member of a group called Random Acts of Kindness...go to meetup.com to find us!

You have a lot of great ideas already. You may want to contact the Family Gateway, a homeless shelter for families with children. They have a lot of volunteer opportunities and they help families that have lost their homes; they train parents for new jobs, give them an address and phone. The kids are scared and just having someone come and play can be quite helpful. Google the name for the web site and you can get more info. I also second the motion for the Collin County Advocacy Center.

Jonathan's House on Gaston and Children's Hospital

Hope's Door is a women's shelter that can always use toys, clothing, etc. Or you could research online other womens/children's shelters that could certainly use your donations!!

You don't say where you're located, so let me just give you some Tarrant County options in case those are closer to you. The Arlington Life Shelter has a wonderful program for homeless families and would be delighted to receive toys, I'm sure. I'm pretty sure you could arrange to volunteer there with your son.

SafeHaven is the women's shelter that operates shelters in Arlington and Fort Worth. They also have other programs. Again, I'm sure they'd be delighted to have them.

Good for you for encouraging a generous and giving heart in your child! And kudos to him for developing such kindness.

The Family Place is a great place to start. Its for abused moms & their kids. Also Dallas Casa might be another place to look into. Hospitals have common rooms in children's wards too that might be a fun place to donate them.

You might try a homeless shelter or NEED. Our church has an outreach department and they take things to people each week. Just some ideas. You might also try dialing 211 and asking them where to donate. They go by your zip code so the items will benefit someone in your area.

GOOD LUCK!

Try to Vogel Alcove, a day care facility while parents look for work.

If the toys are in good condition you may want to wait and adopt a child at Christmas!

contact your local church or call Texas 211 infoline, just dial 211 and they can tell you some agencies, I usually donate to womens shelters, pregnancy crisis centers and orphanages, my daughter is the same way.

1 / 3