Ideas for Teacher Appreciation Week

My son's preschool is having Teacher Appreciation Week soon and I need to purchase gifts for three teachers. I have thought of the usual ideas of bath items, candles, gift cards, and food gifts, but was wondering if any of you had any other creative and relatiavely inexpensive ideas for presents. I believe there are several current/former preschool teachers out there on Mamasource, so if you've ever received any gifts that were particularly special or appreciated, please let me know...

I just want to thank everyone for all of the wonderful suggestions. Because I didn't have much time, I ended up doing a homemade card featuring a handprint and picture of my son, a Blockbuster gift card w/popcorn and movie candy, and some flowers. I really liked a lot of the creative craft gift ideas and I now have a lot of things I can plan to do for the holidays, next school year, etc. Thanks again for all of you who took the time to write in...I am sure all of these responses have helped a lot of people with their gift giving!

As a former Kindergarten teacher, my favorite appreciation gifts included personal letters from parents and students and potted flowers with a note that said, "Thank you for helping {name} bloom!" The flowers & sentiment brightened my day and I planted the flowers later at my house and they come back every year. I always remember that student when the flowers begin to bloom!

Hello. I am a parent and teacher so I get both sides of this question. A really neat gift that I received this Christmas was a jar of homemade pear jam and a bread starter mix with instructions on how to make it. Here are some ideas that I can think of: a cute mug with flavored tea, those $1 face or foot packs from walmart, scented antibacterial hand stuff with pretty ribbons tied on it, books....I hope this helped. good luck!

As a former teacher, my favorite gifts were usually gift cards or books that I could share in the classroom. The books were signed on the inside by parents and students, so I could always remember them when I read it. One year, parents gave me a questionnaire to fill out to give them ideas for gifts. The questions asked about my favorites (such as colors, places to shop or eat, food, music, what I collected, hobbies, etc.) This gave the parents more information about me, so that it was easier to find a gift that suited me. I ended up with lots of goodies that I could actually use and enjoy. It meant so much that they took the extra time to find out what I liked or needed.

Hi M., I'm a grandmother, and have been through this many years ago. This is just my suggestion, so please ,if I'm out of date with today's teachers, forgive me, and know I meant well.
I think anyone can go purchase a gift for someone, or sign a card, but if you Truely appreciate their efforts and your child is learning ,from them. Ask your child what THEY like most about each teacher, and write or type up a Special Teacher's Appreciation certificate for that person, and attach a school picture of your child. The teacher will know its special and will most likely keep and remember it longer than a doo-dad or knick- knack.
You could even do it in a Scrap book look, with embelishments, or get a copy of an award online and tell her SHE has made a difference in someones life.
I think that's probably why she became a teacher to begin with, and surely not for the low pay they receive.
Thanks for listening,

As a former teacher who received a lot of candles, perfumes, etc. that typically just collect dust, I heard a good idea that I thought I'd share. I am not sure if they have books in a library or in the class at the preschool, but a good option is to donate a book in the teacher's honor and put a little book plaque in the front of the book stating who it came from. Books NEVER get old!

When is Teacher Appreciations week? I am with Taste of Home Entertaining by Readers Diegest. We offer wonderful high quality, products that are great for entertaining or every day for inside and out. I would suggest doing a home or catalog party and earn the teacher gifts for FREE. My teachers love there gifts. Check out my website at www.EverydayElegance.TOHE.com.

Let me know if I can help. I also have some products here at home if you would like to pick from them. My email address is ____@____.com Luckand enjoy this beautiful day!

Try etsy.com it is a site that has alot of wonderful handmade gifts. It is an awsome site.

I am a preschool teacher and you've gotten some great ideas so far. Personally, I love getting gift cards to places where I can supplement my room with books, stickers, and other supplies. I also love personal ones to meals, bath and body stores, movie theaters and even grocery stores.

I also agree with one of your replies that a note detailing your appreciation and/or what you've noticed your child has learned due to this teacher is really invaluable.

One year I got a stack of notes with my name on them. I use them often for communications to the parents and coworkers. I know that can be pricey, though.

Before I was a teacher, I gave my kids' preschool teachers a small starter plant of the herb Thyme in a pot. You can have the kids decorate the pot and my card said, "Thank you for your "time"!" A small flowering plant to add to a garden is nice, too .. makes he/she think of the student when it grows.

Chocolate always is a hit with me, too. A handful of Hershey Hugs or Kisses is quite a treat.

Just knowing that you've been thought of and appreciated is so nice.

Lots of random thoughts and suggestions, I hope we've all helped.

a small gift card to starbucks, sonic, or walmart is much appreciated by teachers . . . take it from a teacher.

M.,

The one gift that I have given for Teacher Appreciation that was most valued and she continues to comment about was a small Creative Memories album that the parents and I put together for her. Each parent brought a picture of the child, and provided a short story or comment that their child has about the teacher. I then placed them all in a 7X7 album and it was presented to her on Teacher Appreciation day. It didn't take too much time, and it was really appreciated by her.

If you need any help, please let me know, as I am a Creative Memories Consultant and would enjoy helping you. Hope this helps a lot. Deb Fadler

1 / 3