May 19, 2008,
P.H. asks from Euless, TX on August 08, 2007
Ideas for Small Group Menus
I need some ideas for "food themes" for the menu for our church's small group meetings. We're getting burned out on "taco nite" or "Italian food" ideas. Usually, our group leader will post a generalized menu and everyone in the group will post what they'll be bringing, but it seems like we're using the same menu over and over. Any suggestions?
2 moms found this helpful
So What Happened?™
Thanks for all the great suggestions! You mamas always come to the rescue!
N.H. answers from Dallas on August 08, 2007
How about Spanish "Tapas" ? It's perfect for a group-large or small and there are tons of simple recipes out there for this kind of party.
Moms recommend the following deals from Mamapedia:
C.C. answers from Dallas on August 09, 2007
What about a soup/baked potato bar type theme. We did this at the preschool I work at and it worked out really well. The potatoes and soup keep warm and everyone can make and enjoy what they want.
S.G. answers from Dallas on August 08, 2007
We've done salad nights too. Pasta salad, fruit salad, pot. salad... it's really amazing what all people brought for that. Of course, the ladies usually enjoy that more than the men but it could be a nice change especially while it's so hot!
L.T. answers from Dallas on August 08, 2007
dips and/or appetizers
If there is enough of them, everyone can get really full!
C.S. answers from Dallas on August 08, 2007
How about a late summer grilled dinner? People can bring their own hamburgers or hotdogs and a large side dish based on a sign up sheet, like fresh corn on the cobb or sliced onion, tomatos and lettuce.
Little more work and alot more fun!
R.F. answers from Dallas on August 08, 2007
B.H. answers from Dallas on August 08, 2007
Hamburgers and Fries
Chicken and potato
You could set up these as Buffets or alternate nights.
Have everyone bring a small version of their favorite dish.
On Hamburger and Chicken nights have someone bring the meat and everyone else provide.
A.M. answers from Dallas on August 09, 2007
1. I have heard this idea for a different sort of party (beer) but it could work for food too :) . Everyone bring a dish that starts with the first letter of their last name (or first, whichever).
2. You could do a color theme - like red, white, and blue foods or just green foods or purple foods. Makes everyone be creative.
3. Have people bring their fave dish their mom made when they were kids.
4. Try to copy a restaurant menu item (Red Lobster's cheddar biscuits is an easy example). It's fun to see if people can guess what it's supposed to be.
5. Crockpot recipes only one night.
6. Vegetarian dishes.
7. Chili night.
I agree with the other posts, salad and breakfast themes are always yummy and easy to get creative with. Hope this helps and have fun!