Ideas for Lunch for 1 Year Old

I have a son who just turned one, and I am looking for ideas for lunch. Breakfast and dinner are easy, but I'm having trouble finding different things for lunch. Any ideas? Thank you!

I understand that most people don't like the idea of peanut butter, I just disagree. I gave my 20 month old PB when she was 14 months. She wasn't eating and it was important to me that she get some nutrition. I watched her for 3 days after and if there was any sign that she was allergic, then that would have been it. She loved it and still to this day asks for it. To me....being too careful sometimes is bad. For lunch I usually give the PB and sometimes give just fruit and veggies. She gives me such a hard time about the veggies for dinner so I give them to her for lunch. I also try to give her things to dip them in like lite french dressing or even italian. She loves it and eats everything on her plate. Good Luck.

Well when my daughter was that age, which was only a year ago, she loved turkey dogs. They are so much healthier than hotdogs. She also liked those gerber Lil' Entrees. There's like 10 different varieties too so they don't have to eat the same thing every afternoon. Grilled cheese is also a good one. And of course they many differnt flavors of baby food since he is still a lil' bugger! Hope this helps!

I found lunch to be challenging as well. I give my son a smaller version of dinner and either a yogurt or a piece of cheese with it. Try pastina with vegies (carrots, peas etc...) noodles (not pasta) with a little butter and of course veggies. Try searching "baby food recipes" on your computer you may find a site with lots of ideas.

We block ourselves by thinking that lunch has to consist of a sandwich... In my expirience kids love breakfast for lunch! Try a pancake. Spread peanutbutter and jelly on it and roll it up. easy to hold , easy to eat and yummy!

how about small pasta, like pastina?

I often give my 11 month old some of what her 5 year old brother and I are having, but that's not always the case.

If I makes soup I use a slotted spoon and scoop out about 3-4 tables spoons of the noodles and veggies and she gets that.

Sandwiches - cut or tear up a couple slices of cheese and bologna/ham. Spread a thin layer of peanutbutter on a piece of toast.

If we go to McDonald's I break up 2 chicken nuggets and cut up their apple dippers for her.

If I am not "sharing" our lunch with her I usually try to go the fruit and veggie route... it's not always easy getting in all of their recommended servings, so this is a good time to offer them. I TRY to give her at least one or the other at lunch.

My kids loved those little oyster crackers, (they make them with wheat now) and they would dip them in peanut butter or humus. They also loved anything rolled up, lean turkey around a ripe slice of apple. And veggies out of my soup with lightly toasted wheat toast to dip in the juice. Yogart and a fruit cup.

Hi K.

Steamed vegetables, fruits. Cooked chicken or turkey. Grilled salmon (it has all the good fats they need for the brain). Avocados are also great. Whole grain bread or pasta. Brown rice. Soups. Oatmeal or cereal.

Try offering different tastes at different meals and find out what he prefers. For example, my 12 mon. old prefers to eat vegetables in the morning for breakfast.

Babies have intact tasting buds so they don't need a lot of condiments and unhealthy oils or butter. Offer him healthy choices from the beggining and he'll get used to them.

1 / 3